I dance, my fiance doesn't...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by jennikins, Feb 7, 2013.

1. jennikins

jennikins Member

Hi Guys,
    I haven't been on here in about a year, wow! I dance at least once a month, but my fiance dose not. We finally picked a wedding song (dancing cheek to cheek by Ella and Louis), and I want to teach him to dance so we don't have to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a 'wedding' dance lesson. Do you guys have an idea of what dance to do for that song? We just tried a waltz, but it didn't really work. Thanks for you help!!
    ~Jen
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Foxtrot would be my guess.

You might want to consider a teacher. It's rarely a good idea to coach your own significant other in anything.
    dbk and pygmalion like this.
  3. juwest333

juwest333 Active Member

I love that song! East Coast Swing or Lindy Hop would be ideal (I've danced to this song plenty of times.). I also don't recommend teaching him on your own. Beginner East Coast and Lindy Hop lessons are not that expensive either.
  4. fourand1

fourand1 New Member

It's Foxtrot. IMO by far the easiest dance to learn. Tell him it's just walking with style and on time. You could probably get him started with the basic, then get him to some lessons to learn to lead a couple of figures. It'll be worth it.

Also, when you need to communicate this to someone the title of the song is 'Cheek to Cheek'. And, good luck.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

foxtrot and agree get a pro to teach you its worth the money

amortized over a lifetime anyway:)
  6. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

It is a foxtrot (just programmed last weekend for my dance) but you DO see east coast swing done to a lot of "foxtrot" tunes. It would be in my opinion a ESC with triple step but I do single step to most swing songs. Try him with both single step ECS and foxtrot. See how well he does on each. Do it at home first then consider a pro.
    My stepson got married a few months go and took big $$$ worth of foxtrot
    lessons. They looked terrible, did not look much like foxtrot thought it was supposed to be.
    In the Son/Mother dance he did waltz it look good even thought they practiced only once.
  7. Mr 4 styles

i have taught ( for free) two friends and their SO wedding dances both fox

they looked fantastic and the choreo wasnt even that easy no dance experience

it was my wedding present to them
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

since I counsel engaged couples and I always introduce myself to them a bit before we begin, I periodically agree to help them get around the dance floor...and I always ask to hear a handful of songs that they like beforehand so that I know what would be best...I would say that the majority of the time what works best is FT, bolero, and single swing
  9. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I'll add my vote to getting a pro. I cannot teach my husband anything, and I'm a professional. He respects my knowledge and ability to teach, but it just creates too much tension. And do you know enough about the leader's part to teach him? If you really don't have the money for privates, take group classes.

That song a nice, spunky foxtrot. I think it's a bit on the slow side for single time swing, but you could try triple. That is harder to learn, though, if he has no dance experience. Not that it's not possible, but if he has two left feet, it can be more of a challenge.
  10. fascination

it is a point well taken that it is hard to teach a spouse...however, it is also hard to have a spouse, to cook at the same time with a spouse, to let a spouse drive, to navigate a number of things with a spouse...I think it is fine to try it...you will both learn a great deal about a number of things....ego, patience, wise choice of words, vulnerability, compromise
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  11. Mr 4 styles

:eek:
    :cool:
    :mad:
    ;):D
  12. twnkltoz

I'll say one more thing. Does your fiance *want* to learn to dance? If not, I strongly advise against harassing him into it.
    tsb and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. fascination

I agree on that...if he doesn't even want to polish up a few steps for the wedding, then a) you need to know how you feel about that and express it, and B) hear why he feels that way and either share with him your feelings or accept and drop the idea...but also distinguish whether or not he is adverse to learning or adverse to learning from you....or simply feeling vulnerable and, like oh @60- 80% of young males, doesn't know how to identify that and articulate it particularly well
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

how do you know hes a young male??;)
  15. fascination

well...she refers to him as "him"...that was my first clue :)
  16. twnkltoz

We don't know he's young. He could be 60 for all we know. :)
  17. fascination

jennikins...is 24...let us hope he is not 60
  18. twnkltoz

Don't judge. ;)
    tsb likes this.
  19. fascination

no judgement...just a solid understanding of statistics
  20. twnkltoz