I have no idea how to dance :(

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by fenixfrenzy87, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Try not to focus so much on the "grinding" aspect. That will happen "naturally" if you get your knees and hips to move "smoothly" :wink:

The hip movement is the same, it is just the closeness of the holds that turn it into "grinding"/"rent a tile" :D
  2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yes, yes, YES :!:
  3. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Wow guys great advice! I'm learning so much already :D KEEP IT COMIN'!!!
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yup. Keep it small. Newbies see folks on videos doing extreme moves and try to mimic them, not realizing that those people are professional dancers. To start, keep it small. Don't worry about your hands too much; just let them move with your bodies. Touch the girl, not too sexy. Suggestive is better. Touch the small of her back, or her stomach, if she's comfortable with that. Or pretend you're going to touch her, but don't quite connect. Sexy!

Bottom line, just be yourself.
  5. Pacion

Pacion New Member

If this "two day crash course" is successful, do you think we can patent/copyright it :wink:
  6. pygmalion

Yes. If you're doing it right, chances are your thighs will be sore the next day (unless you're an athlete and used to it)
  7. suckeedancerr

suckeedancerr New Member

alright we got the hips down, thanks a lot. anything anyone culd say about--i guess u culd call it "frontal grinding." where ur pretty much dancin stomachs touchin n stuff. :) i prolly wont get that far, but help wuldnt hurt just in case :D
  8. SDsalsaguy

Sure, why not? And then we can use the procedes to perpetually fund the DF too, right? :lol:
  9. pygmalion

Closeness. Yes. Not necessarily direct contact. I actually prefer it when my partner and I come within an inch or two, but don't touch. It looks and feels sexier, and there's more room for mistakes. If I don't catch his rhythm, it's no big deal.
  10. SDsalsaguy

Ok, here's an example... take the side-to-front-to-side I've mentioned. Well, if you're doing that part than, as the natural counterpart, she'd be doing the side-to-back-to-side thing. And, if one of your legs is planted between hers (and vice versa) you'll already be there. Tah dah!
  11. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:doh: try not to focus so much on the "grinding". If you are moving your hips be it forward and back, sideways, in circles or diagonal lines, then you are "grinding". As I said before, it is the CLOSENESS of the hold that will affect whether your stomachs are touching or not :D
  12. suckeedancerr

suckeedancerr New Member

13. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Thanks so much guys lol I jus practiced in my mirror....I don't look like a complete jackass, I dont think at least :lol:
  14. SDsalsaguy

Well there you go! See? And that was in 10-15 minutes! And you still have two whole days to practice too... :banana:
  15. Pacion

Pacion New Member

A few other holds/positions for "grinding":

You mentioned the "stomachs touching" so in that hold, you are facing each other.

Other options are:
    - side by side, facing the same direction - her left hip against your right hip or your left hip against her right hip
    - side by side, facing opposite directions - her left hip against your left hip or your right hip against her right hip
    - back to back
    - her back against your front
    - your back against her front
  16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Did you remember to check that your knees were bent :wink:
  17. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Yes lol but I must say that it feels a little awkward :tongue: , so how much are you exactly supposed to bend them? And also are you supposed to only move your knees? Or is it like a lil knees along with a lil hip, like a two part sorta thing.
  18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, I agree there too. Generally speaking, not all girls like that direct contact, especially if they don't know you very well. They feel as if they are being mauled/you are an octopus - your hands are getting everywhere! On the other hand, it sounds like this girl likes you so she might not mind. Still, suggestive is a lot better :D

Oh, as for the hands themselves, you can hold her hands, letting the fingers link, look deeply into her eyes, smiling as you do so :wink: and still do all the hip action we have been telling you about :D
  19. suckeedancerr

suckeedancerr New Member

pygmalion's a girl!! well pygmalion, maybe u culd give us boys a little secret info from the opposite sex's point of view? 8)
  20. Pacion

Pacion New Member

lol SD!

It only feels awkward because you are unaccustomed :D In terms of how much, try out different depths. The deeper the bend/more the knees are bent, the more the hips will move. The straighter the knees, the less the hips will move "naturally". Play with it and try different depths. There is no right or wrong depth. It just depends on what sort of hip action you want.

Another option for the feet is to have one knee straighter than the other, say your left knee bent (and therefore the weight is on your leftside) and your right knee straighter (and of course, your feet are wider apart, almost like a little lunge) and, shift your weight slightly from left to right so that the left knee straights a little, and the right knee bends a little bit more, but not quite as much. Now, you have a different sort of grind action going on :wink:

Wow! Trying to put this in to words is really making me think :cry: :lol:

PS. Notice how this guy => :banana: is bending his knees and not moving his hips :wink: :D