I have no idea how to dance :(

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by fenixfrenzy87, Feb 26, 2004.

1. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I need help with grinding. My lab just bought this really really cool CNC machine. My problem is that the tool bits are getting dull with use really quickly and I've lost the toolbit grinders instruction manual. Can anybody help me grind so I can use my tool again to make beautiful things ? Thanks ;)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

slap slap...demigoddess is weary....but your humor is duly noted

3. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I think we need a grinding thread now - a thread about all the help we need to grind in non-dancing situations. but i'm afraid to start one lest fascination sends me a howler by mail :oops:

4. fascination

fear is good, lol

5. Towel

Towel New Member

So. I read through the whole 30+ pages awhile ago, and i figured here is as good a place to post as any---> Been thinking about getting dancing classes, since like about five minutes ago, the question is, salsa or hip-hop?
    :eyebrow:
    Bear in mind that i've never done any real dancing in my life np.

(i'll admit i considered salsa because of all the good things i've been hearing about it in this thread :p)

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

salsa. :)

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ditto. no question, towel! don't debate the issue anymore... just get out there and go for it! :)

8. chandra

chandra New Member

Im actually going to recommend hip hop, (I know, kill me) if you want somethign to use in your average clubbing scenario. While salsa rocks, and the skills are transferable, it doesnt relate as directly as hip hop.

9. dancedude314

dancedude314 New Member

What about learning the chicken dance? It's fun, it's easy. Sure you can only do it to one song (cheep cheep cheep, quack quack quack, wiggle wiggle wiggle...), but when that song comes on, you'll be a dynamo!

10. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

I'm honestly thinking about taking hip-hop. I loooove salsa and it's taught me so much about partner dancing, body movement, rhythm, and sensuality... but it's reallly hard for me to translate that to a normal dance floor if my hubby and i just want to go out and bop around. i feel like an idiot still if there's just non-salsa playing, and here I am, thinking I know how to dance!

Salsa is terribly addictive and is amazing for meeting people and finding a great way to get out and do something fun alll the time. It gives you a great sense of other bodies, how to move with them, and magnify yourself and your partner in a really great moment of communication, fun and connection. Hip Hop will give you something you can take with you wherever you go, and doesn't rely on dancing WITH anyone. You can kick knat all by yourself in the middle of the floor.

Take both! Whee!

11. SarahBella

SarahBella New Member

I'm new to the forum and the only dance I've ever done has been tap when I was younger so I am pretty much clueless about dancing unless its choreographed. I have a huge crush on the guy im going to prom with and I heard that he really likes grinding. Ive never done it before and I have no clue how to do it without looking and feeling ackward. I read the first few posts (which were from a few years ago) but the advice was for guys asking and it said to follow what the girl was doing. So if anyone has any advice whatsoever on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

12. fascination

sarah...welcome...however, we are not much into going into further details on that praticular sort of movement...it is farily safe to say that there isn't much to it nor is the person "leading" much aware of any sort of proper way to follow...beyond that, I think it appropriate for you to feel awkward about grinding at a prom... there really isn't much worth specifying on here...enjoy prom

13. willing2lrn

willing2lrn New Member

Hello everyone! As you can see, I'm new to both the forum and dancing :) I'm a high schooler, the sorts of dances I go to are mostly consist of popular rap/hip-hop music, with people that mostly grind. I'm your typical guy that doesn't know how to dance, but wants to "lrn" :). I've read most of this thread, and all the information that I wanted to know is extremely helpful!

I've got the knees/hips and arms bits pretty well down. However whenever I try to "let go" and just feel the music, it feels like I'm rooted to the spot.. I want to be able to turn but when I try to, it feels awkward and doesn't match the beat.

Any tips on how to turn with the bent knees/moving hips motion? Any advice would be great ;-)

P.S. There's also one thing I've been sort of wondering. Is it considered "too feminine" for a guy to move beyond basic grinding? Sometimes I feel like a girl when I try to "freestyle", with or without a partner =p

14. manisuckatdancing

manisuckatdancing New Member

hey, i'm kind of new to this forum so its a little weird for me.
    I read about the two guys that had their prom in 2 days and i'm in the same dilema. I hate to break you guys away from your current conversations about grinding but i'm just kinda need to learn how to dance in 2 days myself. I was reading the posts in the beginning and i'm sorta getting it and i'm sorta not. anyone care to help? I'm a junior guy in high school that got asked to senior ball by my senior friend. i'm not really getting how the bend of the knees work. i bend one knee at a time right? like for me everytime i bend one knee the other one bends as well. and with the rhythm thing, i aint getting that either. i mean like i get the bass part but how do you know when to bend your knees? sorry if this all sounds really stupid. its just that its my friends last dance and she happened to ask me and i don't wanna make it her worst experience ever. that would just stink. so if anyone would mind helping, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks in advance.

15. dewback

dewback New Member

Heres my situation:

I've never danced before and my girlfriend and I are going to a club to dance. I guess the only thing we can do is grind (*vomit*). Whats a good way to get started with grinding? The less terrible I look doing it, the better. From what I've read, I hold her and grind on her from behind. Who decides what to do though? Can you grind from the front as well? Won't it get boring after a while? She isn't very experienced with dancing either so we're both very green.

Thanks for the help.

16. fourleftfeet

fourleftfeet New Member

good site for this stuff

the best thing to do is start far apart and then make your way closer. it sounds like a lot of the guys posting here already have dates so i won't focus on approaching new girls. start far apart and switch things up between holding one of her hands, doing some sort of side step, and spinning her around. you can always get to the grinding - but grinding gets old quick so always remember to pull back and dance apart to change things up.

the easiest move to do far apart is the side step. step out with your right foot on the first beat and bring the left leg over after, closing them together on the next beat. Then do the same thing to the other side. It's an easy move but honestly it's not about the move, it's about confidence and a warm smile. my friend is the worst dancer of all time but he laughs it off and ends up winning the hot girls all the time!

not everyone can keep confident when we know we stink though and i guess that's why we're in the forums...ive mentioned this link in another post so i'm not sure if i'll get in trouble for promoting or something but the dvd it sells answered all of my questions about dancing in clubs.

learnclubdance.com

i feel like you can't learn to dance from words (just look at my explenation above :p) but a dvd can show you what to do.

17. Crobeezy

Crobeezy New Member

Hey I just joined today, and Iam looking to get into the club scene and i read 15pages of this thread (my congratualations to suckeedancer and his friend) i hope i have the same luck as you, my 2 questions are WHO LET THIS THREAD DIE!:p:mad: and the other one is...is the club scene any different from what ive read in the 15 pages of info thanks

ps im in the exact same situation i gotta hit up a club friday night (2 days :shock:) hopefully i can handle all the booty shakin

18. fascination

welcome...please read our guidelines

19. newbiee

newbiee New Member

(i copied this from another thread, i thought it would fit in better here.)

So you can see i have only been at this forom for a couple of hours :p so i haven't read all the threads yet, so pls dont scream at me :D.

20. fascination

we don't scream....