I have no idea how to dance :(

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by fenixfrenzy87, Feb 26, 2004.

1. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

hahahaha Ok, I must think like a banana, eat like a banana, must be the banana :D So I guess that means you just let the knees do all the work and you just let you hips follow.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL. You guys are so cool. For me, grinding goes with the music. It's not necessarily a sexual attraction to my partner. It just happens naturally when the right music is on. But, then again, if the right music is on and the partner is right too, things can get pretty steamy. :oops: :lol:

My take is, keep it cool. (But dance close LOL) If the girl is interested, the cool approach will feel sensual. If she's not interested, you won't be getting too much in her space.
  3. pygmalion

And another option is to mix it up and use different depths of knee bend throughout the dance.
  4. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

So much advice!!!Thank you all very much, I'm already learning so much! :D :D
  5. suckeedancerr

suckeedancerr New Member

wut if, say, the girl is 2 yrs older and this might only be a one night thing? :oops: i mean, ill see her after in skool n stuff, but im not lookin to get too sensual since we dont know eachother extremely well. it's not like i dont want relations, hell i wish i culd have relations with her :D , but we only met like 2 weeks ago. any advice from experience, seeing as i dont have any?
  6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

For some reason, I can't do an automatic quote on the last post :oops:

You are bending your knees, not the hips. If you are "bending the hips" it suggests to me that you are bending from the waist and your back is therefore bent. That is a different look and can be uncomfortable for the girl depending on which way she is facing. If she is facing you, it means that she is bending backwards and could fall over :oops:

Knees moving hips = try and think of how you walk. I have never studied human movement but having just tried it out myself, :wink: when I walk, my knee bends first, the rest of my leg follows through in a certain motion, and then my hips.

So try standing, in front of your mirror, feet just further apart than you shoulders, as I think SD suggested. Keep your knees straight and literally just move your hips from side to side.

Next, bend your knees as far as you can and then gently straighten first one and then the other (almost as if you are walking without moving your feet). The hips will then follow. How do you feel? Can you feel a difference between what is effectively two extremes? This one should feel smoothier and less jerky.

Now, try it again, this time without bending your knees quite as much. Do you feel a difference between the previous two?

Yes, it will feel awkward, the first few times but the main thing I believe at this stage is to feel the differences between the various positions of your feet and how much your knees are bending.
  7. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Wow...that was really amazing advice!!! I already feel like I know what to do! :D
  8. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Then, focus less on the "grinding" :wink: and just on having a funtime with her. You haven't said how old you are :D but, if she has a comfortable and funtime, chances are she will a) still talk to you afterwards b) tell all her female friends what a great time she had dancing with you (if it is true) and c) you will have more dance partners next time :D
  9. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Great! Now get back in front of that mirror and try the different variations another hundred times! :D
  10. suckeedancerr

suckeedancerr New Member

haha thanks pacion
  11. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

So its like the bending of the knees that actually move your hips then! Its all starting to make sense! What I said was correct right? that the bending of the knees controls the movement of you hips. Lol, well it looks like im still a lil confused actually :oops:
  12. pygmalion

suckee dancerr. Good question. I remember the first time I went out club freestyling with one of my former dance teachers. I let loose and danced, including a bunch of grinding. When I got to the studio for my lesson on Monday, he said,"It's the quiet ones you've gotta watch." :shock:

I guess I shocked everybody.

Don't sweat it. Just follow the girl's lead in terms of how close she'll let you get. Body language can be pretty clear. Actually ask her if she'd like to dance, would be my suggestion. When one of those reggae or reggaeton songs comes on, if you ask, you'll get a feel for how comfy she is. If she's not comfortable grinding, she'll say no.

Take it slow, and watch how she reacts. That's what dancing is -- sensitivity to your partner -- right? :wink: :D
  13. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Yes, at this stage, you are correct.

After you have both practiced for a thousand times :wink: you then try the same bending of your knees AND way/move your hips in the same direction as your knees are going so that more of your weight is on the same side as your bent knee.

This gives greater emphasis to the grind/hip action but, I did not want you to try the above first. You need to be able to isolate or be aware of the movement first before you can add the hips :oops:
  14. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Alright then, I'm listening to JC Chasez right now and practicing :D
  16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Who is JC Chasez :oops: :lol:

PS I am going to get some sleep now (I am in a different timezone). So good luck with the practising and keep on practising. That is the only way for the movements to feel more natural :D
  17. fenixfrenzy87

fenixfrenzy87 New Member

Lol he's that guy from N'sync who jus got his own record out :D All right guys thanks for all the help but now I gotta go read a book for english so I'm out for the night. PLEASE LEAVE MORE ADVICE FOR ME TO READ TOMMOROW :D goodnight all
  18. Pacion

Pacion New Member

The only guy I know from N'sync is Justin Timberlake. So if JC Chasez is ex N'sync, I think I can guess at the style of music then :wink: :D
  19. NeoDevin

NeoDevin New Member

Sheesh, I'm off doing my calculus for 6 hours and I miss the whole thread. Looks like almost everything has been said already. I might add though, if you're grinding front to front, and things are going well, don't be afraid to make out on the dance floor, and let your hands 'wander' a little. @$$ is a fine place for hands to wander, as is back, and through her hair. On her front though you'll want to restrict your hands to her sides, stomach, and neck. Please note though, don't just do this right away, only do it after things start to heat up a little... unless you feel like getting slapped.
  20. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

... you may want to err on the side of "not NeoDevin's advice" !!!! Inappropriate touching is just that-- inappropriate. Both dancing and relationships are about your partner-- they come first as long as you don't compromise yourself.

This is a school dance with people you will need to live with for a while yet-- be respectful -- it's best to not make anyone feel uncomfortable

You can do this and still have a great time