I have no idea how to dance :(

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by fenixfrenzy87, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df Achilles! Moves to practice in front of a mirror? What sort of dance music they play at the social dances you want to go to. I guess that waltz, foxtrot, west coast, hustle would be the ones? Put on the music for these dances and see if you can move to the beat, making one step for each beat, or one step for every two beats, and recognize where each musical phrase begins. Being able to identify when to start and hitting the beats are two critical elments of dancing. You can then check out clips on the web etc and try to imitate what you see by carrying out the moves in front of the mirror.
  2. achilles

achilles New Member

Hmm not too sure. Whatever goes on at a college formal.

Any good vidoes of beginner steps I could look at?

Thanks!
  3. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

What college dost thou mean, o son of Thetis?
    Dost think a foxtrot would be right for thee?
    Or wilt thou waltz across the wooden floor
    In elegant array, while thy partner
    Swishes her gown about her slender ankles?
    Or wilt thou now in sensuous motion rock
    Thy hips, like mighty millstones round about
    Grinding, while still thy partner, more demure
    With open midriff, sparkling now with bling bling
    Catches the anxious eye of every swain
    While to the beat her tender booty shakes?
    Speak, o son of Thetis, the immortal gods
    Await the answer of thy warlike dance!

When you say a college formal, what do you mean? Long gowns and that smooth big band or waltz music? Or cocktail dresses and light rock and roll and Latin music? Makes a difference!
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I wouldn't spend a lot of time learning foxtrot for a college formal/socal dance. ... Unless the DJ likes Harry Connick Jr, you probably won't hear much at your standard dance. Learn a swing dance, a rumba, and maybe a waltz basic. Just my lowly opinion.
  5. Sagitta

Hi Achilles. You might want to try the link below...

Websites with free dance clips
  6. achilles

achilles New Member

Those were very informative. The most helpful one was on slow dancing, which is probably the majority of what would be going on.
  7. Sagitta

Great! Glad to be of help. Keep us posted on your progress.
  8. newaudio

newaudio New Member

I'm in high school and went to the club for the first time last weekend. At first, I just started dancing with myself and enjoying the music. But very quicky, I got asked to dance and didn't really know what to do. I figured out what "grinding" is pretty quicky. But a few questions on this type of dancing: Should a guy be doing anything beyond just standing there and swaying with her (when in that position)? What else can a guy do to make the dance better? When the girl moves towards the floor (not just her upper body but her whole body), should I follower her or just wait until she comes back up? When grinding front to front, where should her hands be? Should a guy be leading the front to front or what? How far should my feet be apart and where should they be?

Thanks, now some other questions. Beyond grinding, what other dances are there at a high school/college club? One final question, if I decide to approach a girl, can I just walk up behind her and start swaying or is that unacceptable (I did it with this one girl and it worked out)? How do girls like to be approached?

Any help I can get will be great! I know that is quite a few questions! So, Thanks.
  9. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Man do you youngstas (pun intended) have a fascination with grinding! I'll drop a few tips this time. Mind you this is hard for me to describe since it's just instinctive for me.

First, stop thinking so much...react to her. At times you'll just feel like mirroring what she's doing (if she goes down towards the floor you can follow if you want, but if you're not very limber don't make yourself look like a fool!) Other times you'll want to move differently than she is (syncopated moves, instead of just swaying side to side break it up and down on the same side). Now if you've got rhythm and can do it smoothly (this is key! don't make yourself look foolish) you can pivot step around on beat until your back is to her and then break it down to the floor on her. Slowly go lower, pulsating with the bassline and make sure you're looking over your back at her. If you do it with rhythm the girls LOVE it! For the most part they're not used to guys turning the tables like that. And by all means, don't get all grabby on the girl. Just let your bodies naturally do there thing. There's enough contact in other places that grabbing is unecessary. If anything let your hands slightly brush up against her while dancing. Treat her with respect and trust me the connection on the dancefloor will be amazing and she'll remember you.
  10. MeShell987

MeShell987 New Member

Ooook... I realize the date of this topic is old, but for chits and giggles... JJJust in case someone else is browsing thru and is in the same boat... here goes.

I came on here for two types of specific dances. Oddly enough, I don't stink at the "grind" on the dance floor at your typical nightclub.

Here is my advice...

Use a door.

Part your legs as DM had posted earlier and yes crouch, as if your knat is trying to sit on an imaginary chair (perhaps not that low, but as low as you feel relatively comfortable with). Now, for the door. Open the door. Holding onto the door knob as if it were his/her hips. Now grind your way down using the knob as "leverage". Kinda tacky I'm sure, but hey... it works.
  11. pygmalion

Hi MeShell987. Welcome to the forums! :D

Your practice technique sounds really gross, but worth a try! LOL. Thanks. :D
  12. MeShell987

MeShell987 New Member

Thanks so much PYGMALION. Yeah, I'm not sure it's as gross as it is... tacky... LOL. ...but it does work. Then again, I'm sure not many are coming on here learning to do lap dances! LOL :D
  13. newaudio

newaudio New Member

Thanks, youngsta. Anybody else have any advice?
    Later.
  14. OOPS

OOPS New Member

Your getting some great advice! If it turns out you don't think you have it down by the dance, bandage your foot and go on crutches.
  15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

LOL... :lol:

...and welcome to the Dance Forums OOPS! :D
  16. DevilsBSD

DevilsBSD New Member

A bit offtopic, but whenever anyone talks about grinding, i automatically think 'sex with clothes on,' so this led me to recall a conversation i had with the principal of my high school. one of the parents had asked him at prom, "what do you consider 'dirty dancing'?", and his response was "well, when the guy has a glazed look on his face, and the girl is nowhere to be seen, then it's probably time to step in." :lol:
  17. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: :lol:
  18. newaudio

newaudio New Member

any more advice? any experts in here?
    also, what about the approach? most guys would just walk from behind the girl. what do you think of that?
    thank you.
  19. MeShell987

MeShell987 New Member

DEVILSBSD......... I'm literally LMAO! hahahahaha
  20. pygmalion

Walk from behind the girl? Huh?