I want a cheap dance floor at home

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by chachachacat, Jun 5, 2011.

1. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

$200 for a straight 8X10? Personally, I'd say no, but it depends on your DIY skills and what tools you have available. There are a lot of videos on how to install laminate if you want to get an idea on what's involved. Here's one example:

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/how-to-install-pergo-laminate-flooring/19f6f6208e65317c8e2819f6f6208e65317c8e28-994238923817?cpkey=3d652d8351ad4d89b2183d652d8351ad4d89b218-990814995763%7Cpergo%20video%7C%7C&q=pergo%20video

If you don't want to DIY, then $200 might be well worth it.

Better video:
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...b218-990814995763|pergo video||&q=pergo video
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

That presents a different approach to a "standard" floor.

In that case I would go with Ply..If you get good quality, you will have a better surface,and, you can lay it in 2 equal sections.. DONT polyutherane it.. find a good parafin wax , apply, and let it settle for 24hrs..then buff .
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'd go for the snap-lock laminate. It really is foolproof unless you're a total idiot. All you really need is a measuring tape and a saw that will make straight cuts.

I would not use particle board or OSB; I just don't think it has the right surface. MDF may be OK, but I'd still go for laminate.
  4. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Laminate is easier to transport by yourself - toss a bundle in your trunk (boot). OTOH, delivery (if needed) of 2 sheets of 4X8 stuff should be pretty inexpensive or find a buddy with a small truck.

I have to buy a couple of new light fixtures and get some paint, so maybe I'll do a little onsite research at Lowes tonight.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yes.

I feel this way about any kind of project where the materials are cheap but specialized labor is costly (painting, or dare I say, making a ballroom gown, frex). There's usually a reason it's costly, which I find out the hard way when I'm halfway through doing it myself and wish I'd never got started and then have to pay the professional to finish the job anyway. In the time you've spent thinking about it, it could have been done. What's your time worth to you? Just pay the pro.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Painting requires specialized labor? :confused:

I'm pretty sure anyone can figure out how to install snap-lock laminate floor. If Home Despot doesn't provide demos, there are hundreds of videos on teh intarwebs. It truly is neither brain surgery or rocket science.
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

8x10 is really tiny, and the moment your dancing gets full sized your small dance floor will be making your dance worse. I suggest putting the $$s and time into floor space at a local facility, or even in the hallway of your apartment, or a gym.
  8. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

<bump>

Make a decision yet?
  9. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

We put a dance floor in. PM me for the URL where we describe it, but I think it's a bit more permanent than you are looking for.
  10. zacandy

zacandy New Member

I have a friend who wants me to help her do a dance floor in her home too. What did you end up doing for yours? I'm trying to get some inexpensive ideas for her.