Ideal Height Difference in Standard

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 10Dancer, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I work the best with guys about 4 inches (10 cm) taller than me, don't prefer guys shorter than me or too much the same height as me, don't like the feeling of have to lower excessively to match the guy's height, putting too much pressure on my knee or leg muscle; I admire world Champions like Bobbie Irvine could be dancing with a partner slightly shorter than her.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

oddly, FP was my height, shorted when I wore heels but b/c I am long waisted and don't have very long legs, I felt much ore size appropriate dancing with him...NP is probably officially a better height, I am guessing 4 inches taller than me but his legs are long and his arms are long and I often feel as though I am nearly swallowed up in his stride an his wingspan...then again, it could just be a matter of getting used to it...moving isn't much of a problem but it is definately more of a challenge and his arm span, well I feel postitively stretched to the limit, whereas my arms were longer than FP's so I got quite used to a very different feeling...shrug...it's all good

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How about admiring Bill for dancing with a partner slightly taller than he? :D

4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

She can only personally speak to how hard it is for a woman to dance with a short man and therefore admire that ability in a woman. Therefore, she cannot empathize with Bill as much as she can with Bobbie:) Speaking from the same experience...

5. JJ

JJ Member

what are the challenges for men who have partners that are only marginally shorter / around the same height / taller than them?

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Empathy and admiration are not necessarily connected.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Getting kneed in the soft and tenders.

8. BM

BM New Member

Meh, when the difference is barely visible, shape like crazy. Granted, I should take my own advice, but that's irrelevant. My partner's either exactly my height or perhaps a half an inch shorter when we're in Standard shoes. When I remember to shape off of him, it looks fine. However, I think my legs may be longer, because once we're no longer into our legs, it's much less comfortable.

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Well, if that's the only challenge, then it's definitely not something to admire as I would think Bobbie would know better than to do that...

10. Standarddancer

exactly, so well said.

11. Standarddancer

He should certainly be admired too:D I watched one of their teaching demonstration video on youtube, absolutely amazing!!!

Just as lady dancer, I certainly admire other great ladies' ability dancing with a shorter partner (not an easy job).

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I'm working with two partners at the same time, one is 'perfect' 4 inches taller (AmP) the other (pro) about about equal in heels. I'm no expert but I do find it easier to create a big shape with the shorter of the two, indeed its easy to get lazy and have a minimum shape with a tall partner. Previous pro was 6 inches shorter and it was very difficult to dance - I used to stick my bottom out to compensate.

Since I'm 5'10" w/o shoes, dancing with someone who is taller is quite a luxury - I've never tried a partner taller than AmP. I wouldn't know how to do it. Out of curiousity, how does a significantly shorter follower get a big top line?

13. BM

BM New Member

When I've danced socially with much taller partners, I've noticed that the more into their knees they are, the easier it is to shape off of them. Otherwise our centers don't connect as nicely.

14. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I both admire and empathize with Bill. :cool:

15. I've danced with a few partners who were eye-to-eye with me, or close to it. The only real challenges are; 1) I find it's a little more physically taxing to hold a good frame; 2) visibility is limited so floorcraft is harder.

16. Standarddancer

probably also because the pro guy is more capable of creating nice shape, more smooth movement, better balance, etc. so much easier to make the couples' shape look great.

17. fascination

dunno...I suspect that the same height does allow for a bigger look on the topline...I feel so far below and swallowed up with NP b/c he is taller than FP...I felt like it was much easier to get out there with FP

18. F., is that your FP in the avatar?

19. fascination

that is the NP (new pro)...for FP, you would have to look in my album

20. dancepro

dancepro New Member

I know for a fact that Bobbie didn't bend her knees or go down in her knees to make the partnership work. I never saw her bend her knees excessively and I saw her every week for 8 years. Surely if she had gone down in her knees, I would have seen it at one time or the other. There are trick that are used in both the Square school and the Body school to deal with height differences that are excessive either way.

Dancepro