Ideal Height Difference in Standard

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 10Dancer, Jun 17, 2004.

1. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

dancepro, can you share some tricks for dealing with the woman having longer legs than the man?

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Hello, long legged woman here, enjoys cutting loose.:)

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I always find it easier with taller guys, more room to stretch.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

ha ha I like shorter guys for exactly same reason

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Good to know.... ;)

6. Katarzyna

much much easier to dance with :)

7. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Oh, good! We still haven't danced Standard yet!

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

So, keeping a tally here, taller and shorter guys are easier. Guess you same sized guys are just out of luck...

9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Did I say she did? Not sure why you're quoting me...

10. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

somehow, I seem to prefer dancing with shorter guys than taller ones. I'm 5'5" w.o shoes and I find it most comfortable dancing with guys around 5'8". And someone 5'7" who knows how to move is always more comfortable than a 5'10" to 6" guy. My topline also looks much better when dancing with shorter guys.

11. BM

BM New Member

Makes sense. Trying to maintain a frame with a taller guy alone requires more brain effort for me. Trying to shape on top of that is a substantial challenge. With a shorter gent, the topline is easier to maintain, which I guess results in greater ease in shaping.

12. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

So when y'all are saying, "with a shorter" man, are y'all meaning shorter than YOU or just shorter than the average guy? Because when I think shorter, I think shorter than me. But some of y'all seem to be saying shorter than the average guy, but still 3 inches or so taller than you.

13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Sounds like I should start on standard. :)

14. Shall we?

15. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

oh really? I never expect you prefer shorter guys:D

16. Standarddancer

kat, looks like you'll be possibly chased by a lot of shorter guys;)

17. Katarzyna

So much easier to dance with, well, for competition and results not always best option, but lady can look herself so much better with shorter guy (as he cannot affect her quite as much :) )

I have had shorter partners before way easier to dance with than my last few tall ones

18. Kassia

Kassia New Member

I find excatly the opposite.. My dh, and partner is much taller than me..
    About 11 inches to be exact.. I prefer to dance with tall men cause i don't bump knees with them if they are not so good at maintaining thier frame and position to the right of the lady... And most of all dislike dancing tango with shorter men.. I am 5 ft 2 in so men shorter than me is rare.. Not impossible tho!

But on the flip side of that our teacher suggested that my dh take some lessons with one of the taller teachers sometime cause it would be good for his posture...

19. Standarddancer

interesting thread. people really have different preferences...

20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I don't like to dance with guys shorter than myself. Of course, I am 5'4" without heels, so shorter than myself rarely happens, but occasionally it does happen. Assuming the guy is so-so, I prefer shorter ones (like 5'7"-5'8"). Tall guys have a tendency to lean forward over the girl. If the guy is not so good and much taller than the girl, it is like double whammy.