Ideal Height Difference in Standard

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by 10Dancer, Jun 17, 2004.

1. reb

reb Active Member

aha - taller and more handsome!

Someday . . .
  2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

uh oh. Cat fight about to break out between fasc and latingal over who gets to be Reb's smooth partner.... Where's a mod when you need one??!!??
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

lovey, she is in the wrong weight class to venture into the arena...but alas, she does have proximity on me...dangit
  4. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I think the skill level also matters. I am same height as my teacher's pro partner, so we both have to deal with the same 10" difference. But she's obviously a much better dancer than I am, so it affects her less.
  5. Ecclesiastes3_4

Ecclesiastes3_4 New Member

I agree. I am 5' 7", closer to 5' 9" in my dance shoes. I regularly dance with 2 guys who are 6' 4". They're both good enough dancers that I don't have any problem even though they're 9" taller than me.

Last year, my partner was my height but had shorter legs than I do (I'm a leggy lady). I think that matters as much as height.
  6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'm 5'4", 5'6" 1/2 with heels. So 99% of guys are taller than I am. I found that with a good leader, the height difference doesn't matter as much, although both need to make some adjustments for it. If a guy is not so good, but shorter (like 5'8"-5'9"), it's OK, but if a guy is tall and not so good, it's like a double whammy.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I'm 5'4", 5'7" in my heels and while the height difference between Rhythm Pro and NP doesn't seem to matter as much with Latin, between Smooth Pro and NP, where there's less of a height difference between them? HUGE difference dancing Smooth. I feel much less under NP's feet (he's a shade over 6'.) I haven't danced much Smooth or Standard with him (we're doing a showcase Saturday and then Ohio, so there's not really time for anything else) but what little I have just works better.
  8. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Given our height difference, my DH and I really lucked out in our body types. Without shoes, I'm 5'3" and he's just over 6'. Happily, I have very long legs for my height, and he has a very long torso, so in dance shoes our hips are right about level. It's not optimal, but at least we can move together easily. If our proportions were opposite, I don't know if we could dance standard together. And would he really have been worth marrying if I couldn't dance standard with him? (Kidding! Kidding!)
  9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I don't think is so much about height. Like anything, if you practice at it and work on it, I'm sure that something will click and it will feel comfortable... Unless there is a foot difference.

I am one of the shortest people on our team and finding a partner was hard when I lost my first partner. Many of our guys are closer to the 6' range when I am only about 5'1 with no shoes and 5'4 in heals. A lot of the problems that came up weren't about leg length at all. It was more about the guy lowering correctly (ie not hunching over or lowering too much into the knees) and me not stretching enough into my frame.

Currently I dance with my boyfriend and we still struggle a bit with the height difference, even though he is the best fit I've as a partner. Our biggest issue right now is that I still look like I'm peaking over his shoulder.... :eyebrow: Though it's getting better with each comp :)
  10. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I don't compete in Standard now but, I train in Standard with a top teacher/coach and he is just a tiny bit taller then me when I am in 2" heels. I am 5'6 1/2 and I think he is probably 5'9" or 5'10" Our leg lengths almost match which means that I can truly feel exactly when he is bending his knee to move and the leg compression gets me ready at almost the same time.

My Smooth competition pro is 5'11" and I found dance position harder to maintain in Standard with him.
  11. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I think this is the critical piece. If both partners are properly balanced, and moving correctly, a much greater height difference can be accommodated. Otherwise a big height difference amplifies the effect of the taller partner leaning too far in any direction.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

My partner and I have about a 6" height difference without shoes. I have pretty long legs though and it works great for us. There's a guy at socials I occasionally dance with though that's a good few inches shorter than me without shoes, and then goes on to lower a ridiculous amount. I've started to avoid dancing standard with him because it's just uncomfortable and I'm afraid that one day I'm going to knee him in the crotch and that will be sad.
  13. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Just seeing this thread again....

It is about what each person can dance.

at 5'10", I used to have a partner years ago who was 5"2 perhaps, and it works.

Earlier this year I tried out with someone who was 5'3ish and I couldn't get into my knees comfortably enough.

I've gotten older, my knees weaker, and I was out of shape, but at the end of the day, I couldn't make it work to a point where it made sense to pursue. I'm not sure there is an "ideal" but there is a range each person can work with at any given time, and that range itself can change.
  14. mygoldfish

mygoldfish New Member

I'm 6' tall. Barefoot. haha...although I have very little dance experience at this point, based on what I've experienced in my ballroom class last quarter, there's no set ideal...and I'm glad too, cause, needless to say, it's tough to find a partner taller than me - especially if I put heels on, haha. During my ballroom class I danced with a wide variety guys anywhere from waaaay shorter than me to significantly taller than me; when I think about which ones were easiest to dance with, four actually come to mind...one was about six inches taller than me, a big football player; one was just a couple inches taller than me; one is two inches shorter than me; and one is waaaaaay shorter than me.

Sometimes there are some adaptations that need to be made to make it work with shorter partners, depending on what we're doing. In particular, I find that some dips tend to be difficult to execute when I'm with a much shorter partner. Or, for example, the guy who is just two inches shorter than me is teaching me lifts, and height definitely effects some of them...but if we just keep that in mind and adjust accordingly, it works out. He was originally afraid to do some of the lifts with me and made me practice them with taller partners for fear that my height would get someone hurt, but we've started figuring out how to do all of them despite our height differences.

Overall I guess I've found that it's just a matter of personal preference and adaptation...different heights work for different people...which seems to be the general consensus of this thread!
  15. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome to df
  16. mygoldfish

mygoldfish New Member

17. Romanov-X

Romanov-X New Member

It is true that it is ultimatly about proper balance and movement, with which hinderances may be overcome. And also that leg length is quite important. But if you're as tall as me, such things only come later. Where most people are talking of guys that are equal in height or maybe even a taller lady, I'll be happy to find a lady even near my height!

Measuring at 6'5" my ideal partner would be about 6 feet tall, and not even here in Holland are there many (dancing) ladies that tall... Normally I like being tall, even in dancing. It's however not nice if you're partnerless like me...

Well at least I don't have to worry about knees coming too high up ;)
  18. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

If you can find a long-legged girl who is about 5'10" without heels, that could work out.
  19. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I know a long-legged 5'10" without heels girl
  20. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

Welkom bij DF, Romanov! :)