Idsf

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Jul 31, 2011.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

can anyone enlighten me - if you join the international dance sport federation you are allowed to compete in any competition in the world?
    thanks in advance

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Lots of answers to that question, especially depending on location. Probably the best policy is to compete where you feel best serves your goals, and in most cases you will not have any problems. Note the IDSF is now known as the WDSF.

3. ballroomdancertoo

I was thinking of JDSF. Japan DanceSport Fed.
    thanks

4. tptiger

tptiger New Member

Hi, I agree with DanceMentor. There are WDC and IDSF right now doesn't seem to be in agreement. Basically one treated as sport and other treated as art. But like DanceMentor said, go with your heart.

5. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

BTW, ballroomdancertoo ... you don't actually join the WDSF (IDSF), you join a member organization, depending on where you live. In Japan, that is the JDSF ... in the USA, it is USA Dance. Each country has it's own organization, which is a member of the WDSF. This then gives you the right to enter sanctioned competitions, all over the world. However, in the US, there are far more competitions sanctioned by the NDCA, so being a member of that organization is required ... membership in USA Dance (currently) will not qualify you for those. As has been said, there is an ongoing "issue" between the WDC and WDSF, so check which events you want to enter (what your ultimate goals are), and then you'll know which organization to join. I agree, follow your heart ... look at the big picture ... try to avoid (if possible) the politics.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You cannot be a member of NDCA.

Like WDSF, you can be a member of THEIR member organizations. But you can REGISTER with NDCA to attend their competitions.

7. ballroomdancertoo

thanks all for being so informative, too bad there's so much politics,

8. superbimmer

superbimmer Member

Larinda ... you are correct, of course ... I misspoke, and meant "registered" with the NDCA. Thanks for clarifying.