I'm going Rolfing...

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by JANATHOME, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I am so excited about this....

I had my initial consultation with a certified Rolfer.
    I was taken back when she took pictures of me striped down, and then walked me through where my shoulders were out of alignment, and my hips.... Good news after my hips and down I am ok!!

We talked about my eating habits which made her jaw drop, then was educated on what I was doing wrong...

I loved that immediately I felt comfortable with her as she asked questions about me, my lifestyle, my past... To me it was a full package meeting and an adventure I am so looking forward to...

First session next week, report back them!

j_alexandra and samina like this.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

YAH!!

j_alexandra likes this.
  3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

awe.some. enjoy! be prepared for a journey...of some sort. :)

j_alexandra likes this.
  4. one of the best adventures i have ever taken. enjoy the work

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

YAY YAY YAY good for you! Enjoy -- Rolfing is among the best things I've *ever* done, hope it is for you, too

6. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I feel a musical coming on . . .

I'm going rolfing in the morning.
    "Ooh, oww!", my fascia's gonna whine.
    Tendon and muscle
    May get in a tussle,
    Just put my body back in line.

Terpsichorean Clod and samina like this.
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Thumbs up for cleverness of parody.

Thumbs down for implying there will be something worth whining over.

<headwall> Have you ever been Rolfed? IMfairly extensiveE, it does not hurt and its reputation for causing pain is undeserved and keeps people from trying a potentially useful form of bodywork.

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My own Rolfer said the pain was due to a previous mentality of forcing or "pushing" fascia that was not ready to yield, under a misunderstanding of some of Ida Rolf's teachings about Intensity and Depth. The current trend doesn't force, but is to "talk" to the fascia with the hands and working with them rather pushing. It never hurt me, either...though there were moments of intensity.

9. JANATHOME

Whew, nervous there for a minute!! Even thou the song was cute!!

Especially as this is a stretch for me. I have got to be one of the few who do not even like to get a massage, freaks me out!! My research came up with the same that the theory of rolfing has advanced from the painful, to less forceful...

I have followed instructions on the change in my eating habits..
    Just a week later I already feel much better, not to mention the 4 pounds I lost this week, while eating a lot more than I normally do... Miss the wine!

10. raindance

raindance Active Member

Would you be willing to share what the eating recommendations were? (Is it much different from typical healthy eating ideas?)

11. JANATHOME

This will be a long post, but this has been building in my mind all day after my 7:45 AM first rolfing session. Hopefully also this might help someone else considering this. I went into this with a complete open mind, excitement and really no anticipation of what it was going to be like at all, except that I did not expect it to hurt.

The rolfer is having me keep a journal so all day I was conscience of what I was feeling physically and what I felt about the first session itself. The rolfer told me I was taking quite a leap from never having any body work, not even a massage to this, yup, that would be me… Leap now, think later…..

Before we began she told me if it at anytime it became too uncomfortable for me just use the word “stop” and she would. She explained to me what we would work on, that we would interact with each other throughout the session.
    We did interact throughout the session, she told me what she felt, where the areas we would need to work on, and as she progressed to a different part of my body what she was going to do next.

What we discovered was that the whole left side of my body is very was out of alignment, my ride side hardly at all. In fact even on the table it took work for me to lie in a neutral position; I wanted my head to lean towards my left side. I had not realized prior how much this is my normal stance. Related to dance it made sense to me why I never can hit the natural position, collect. Perfect example is In the grape vine, I will go from promenade to closed, never quite able to hit the neutral position to collect.

We discovered that I keep my whole body tense, again all the time, so it is normal to me and does not feel tense. I think I am keeping it tense to accommodate the alignment problem. It had to be pointed out to me but once it was I agreed. We had to work some on teaching me to relax my body and let the release happen… She said, “I love a challenge”… We will get it!! By session end I was releasing my body some and even more once I left the session. Again I related strongly to where my lack of fluidity in my dance was coming from.

So did it hurt, yes it did. At one point I was near the “stop” word but I was never quite ready to “use the word”… It was a huge break for me when she moved to my right side, giving me time to recover. The session was about an hour and 15 minutes and I know I could not have taken anymore.

Back at work I said to myself what happened here, feels like I have been in a car accident. I noticed that my body was quite red, my blood close to the surface of my skin. The work on my chest to my collarbone was the most uncomfortable, 10 hours later it is still burning. The rest of my body is just a little sore to the touch, my neck and shoulders already are notably less tense and gong into a relaxed pose that feels good. It does feel fluid.

She said the day of my session I should do no other physical activity. Yup, I get it. I would not take a dance lesson if you paid me!!l Just now, hindsight, I am thinking that I did not expect the amount of pressure that was exerted on my body, but after only one session I learned so much, any can already feel that a change happened.
    This is for sure an awesome adventure…..Back next week for more!

pygmalion and Larinda McRaven like this.