Improv tango performance to Di Sarli

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Peaches, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I like their interpretation...particularly the accents around 1:30 (the high piano notes). I'm not sure I'm a fan of how she uses her legs--which is just a comment on her style, I'd love to have half her ability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UcwN2cL9vw
  2. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

It's OK. You probably have nothing to fret re her ability. Re her legs, the problem is her feet. Tthey are terrible. Too many dancers do not understand that arm styling is a misnomer. One should dance the hands...the arms will follow. In the same manner, articulate the feet...the legs will be beautiful.
  3. Peaches

Huh. Never noticed her feet, was distracted by her legs, although I still can't say what bothers me about them.

I'll have to go back and watch it again. What are your specific complaints about her feet (so I can be sure to watch for them)?
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZILLPFdzv-s

I watched this as well to see if it was her Arabian trousers. I think she has untidy feet. I know a couple of dancers like this who have advanced technique yet still look like carthorses ( I exaggerate). Her feet come of the floor too readily and they don't collect even in passing.
  5. bastet

bastet Active Member

This was similar to my first impression as well. I watched it again to make sure and also the one with Pablo. There was something else bothering me about it too. She seems to have danced better with Pablo. I thought the 1st video was a little "rushed", a little "prancy" perhaps? Not sure...it was the feet looking a bit clompy looking plus something else....
  6. Me

Me New Member

I went to California for a business trip once and a visiting Argentine was teaching workshop. She was very adamant in working everybody on technique, foot articulation, inside edges, etc, and told everybody it was important to master this early on, and then... she preached loud and hard to abandon every single bit of that technique once mastered. When she exhibited later that evening, she danced very much like the dancer featured in this video, only much more extreme - Very leg heavy and the feet were not a base or even an extension of the movement but truly an afterthought, trailing and swirling around on the floor as though injected with novocain, her ochos intentionally leaving a full two inches between her ankles.

It seemed to me to be some very strange sort of sloppy street nuevo, but later when we were talking about tango instructors and style, she very loudly 'dissed' Fabian Salas by saying, "Oh, he is nuevo. That is NOT tango at all." :rolleyes:

I had forgotten about this bizarre experience until seeing this video. The lady in this video is nowhere near as uh, extreme, as the instructor I encountered, but something about the movement quality reminded me of her.
  7. bastet

bastet Active Member

How odd...though this reminds me of a saying I read in Tango Zen....

"Master technique and then forget about it and be natural...Anna Pavlova"

But my interpretation would be to master technique so it becomes part of your muscle memory, then let go and just let things happen. Your technique will be natural because you no longer have to think about it....

Maybe she was using the good old..."you have to know the rules to break them" adage.
  8. Peaches

Well, interesting to see it wasn't just me that was put off by her legs. There was another video of the two of them dancing milonga, which I didn't post, which I really didn't like. I thought at first that the sound and image weren't in sync because she always looked like she was slightly behind the beat. And oddly "soft" for a milonga. Interesting.

I wish I could have found a video of him with Carina Losano. I saw them do an improv performance that was awesome. I wonder if it would hold up to repeated video scrutiny. Wonder if it's him or her that's throwing things in this one.

Thing is, I've had a lesson and danced with him. He was, by far, the most solid feeling lead I've ever danced with. 'T'was very interesting. Very clear lead.
  9. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

Sorry Peaches to have been away for a day and not answered your question. But, it appears that everyone else saw the same things that I saw, and feels the same.