In Smooth, how many times "should" you get around the floor at an open level?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by famfam, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

basically ........................ yes

2. Mr 4 styles

dl.. you can post all the valentina vids you want......... sigh:inlove:

Sania, smidra86 and dlliba10 like this.
  3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

She's lovely, isn't she? Nice person, too.

It was a nice surprise to me, seeing my DP and his previous partner in the video. I wasn't expecting that. :D

dlliba10 likes this.
  4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

NOT cool, and disrespectful. I'm sure you paid the same entry fee as other couples there who got the entire 1:30-2:00 as expected.

Personally I would be rather PO'd, particularly if I was paying literally $$$ per second for a Pro to dance with me, if my floor time was consistently cut short. While the judges have undoubtedly finished marking/placing well before the end point, so what. Uncontested or not, you should not be cheated out of your allotted time on the floor.

I apologize again. This deserves its own thread, I think, if others also feel strongly about it. Though apparently little can be done aside from grumbling.

SwayWithMe and fascination like this.
  5. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Its really funny though having been at the ndca championships in provo, I realized there as we went on with our call backs the rounds became longer. We noticed that each round we did again we would get through more and more of our routines. Our first round was about 1:15 and when we got to the final it was closer to 1:30

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Some competitions have inefficiencies that can be tightened, yes. Other competitions are already so efficient that the only way they could increase the time played per dance would be to cut out some of the events.

Also, some of the efficiencies are gained at the cost of things that some people also don't want to lose. For example, they can save time to keep the dances longer by treating the awards ceremonies as cattle calls with no lineups or pictures or anything, but there are people who object to that, too.

mindputtee and Mr 4 styles like this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

open pro is like that too from round one to the finals its gets a little longer each round

jive finals... some couples look into the audience like..."WTH are we there yet??"

smidra86 likes this.
  8. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

You would think it would be the other way around, no? To give the judges more time to find their couples if they need it in larger heats? Unless first rounds were split into manageable heats.

9. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

It was about 3 heats of about 15 couples each, approx 45 couples total. Well, we talked about this with our friends who happened to be with us on the trip and they felt that at that level it takes one mistake to weed you out of the next round. When you get to the finals, the technique and skill is so hard to differentiate at that point when you narrowed it down from so many people that the judges seem to need more time to pick.

10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

It could have just been that the competition was running smoothly and they were more comfortable spending the time.

It does take more time to do a good job marking a full final than marking a preliminary round.

11. dlliba10

Happened again today. Danced uncontested in Prechamp Smooth. Only got a minute per dance. This time we were actually really annoyed, because not only was the comp running 30 minutes ahead of schedule, but also this was our first comp putting four brand new routines on the floor so it would have been great to see how it all played out. Instead, all our routines had their last 3rds chopped off.

12. nikkitta

:mad: which association/comp was this? I just saw this in the USA dance rulebook:

"3.4.5.3 The length of each dance shall be determined by the Chair of Adjudicators on a dance-by-dance basis, provided that Rules 3.4.4.1 and 3.4.4.2 are followed. Exception, when there are no more than 3 uncontested events on the floor, the duration of the music per dance may be reduced at the Chair of Adjudicators discretion, to no less than one minute per dance."

13. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I think it was a collegiate comp, which isnt associated with either ndca nor usadance therefore doesn't have to adhere to either of their rules.

14. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Even so, they followed that rule if they got 1 minute per dance.

Warren J. Dew likes this.
  15. nikkitta

But really, if they were ahead of schedule, would it have killed them to allow an Open couple finish their routines? It's not like watching a newbie couple do the same 2-3 steps over and over again for a minute and half.

middy likes this.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...but, if a comp is fairly regular with that practice, it is a huge turn off for me...particularly if it is not a major comp...I will be very unlikely to go back unless it is only an occasional timing issue sort of thing...where I see it throughout the entire comp everytime?...nope

Sania likes this.
  17. dlliba10

I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it, and we love the CoJ of this particular comp. It's not an implication of impropriety or anything at all like that; we would have just liked to have finished our routines, at least.

It was also saddening because I traveled close to five hours each way just to dance a single uncontested round.

18. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I'm not saying what they did was "best practices", I'm saying it wasn't illegal.

19. dlliba10

Addition to my post above: Obviously, there was more to my traveling for this particular comp just to dance a single uncontested round (watching friends, giving pointers, seeing other friends who I haven't seen in a long time, seeing my parents at home since the competition was close by), so it was worth it whether we danced a minute each dance or two minutes.

20. nikkitta

Maybe legal, but still not cool.