Interview Questions for Emanuel and Tania

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So we will be interviewing Emanuel Valeri and Tania Kehlet for the Dance Forums February newsletter (January is mostly done and will be available soon). Instead of trying to come up with the questions myself, I was hoping you could submit some questions and I will use some of the suggestions for the interview.

Can you help me?

Here is a quick look at their dancing

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

3. DanceMentor

Great, but we need questions please for THIS interview. That is SO 2012!!! :)

ajiboyet likes this.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I would like to hear Tania talk about Waiting - how she incorporates that into her dancing as a follower/responder, as she appears to be a good wait-er. And along the same lines, I'd like to hear Emanuel take about that from his perspective - how does Waiting for Tania factor into his being a good leader, and how is it a component if their taking turns initiating action?

5. Ambao

Ambao Member

A very girlish question, but I'm always impressed by Tania's hairstyle : always original, stylish & creative. I'd like to know if she does it on her own or makes it done by someone else. And how she decides which kind of hairdo she's going to have. :oops:

ajiboyet likes this.
  6. bluebereft

bluebereft Member

What an opportunity!

Emanuel and Tania are quite obviously very musical dancers. I'd like to know how they developed their sense of musicality, and what they do in practice to enable them to harmoniously dance different interpretations of music on the competitive floor.

Second, what do they feel is important for couples early in their competitive career to focus on? Mechanics/competitiveness/musicality/technique etc. Alternatively, what do they feel is lacking in the dancing of couples early in their competitive career?

ajiboyet and samina like this.
  7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I have to admit, this question is always at the top of my head when i watch any comp LOL.

8. raindance

raindance Active Member

I would like to know how they structure their practices? (Rounds, exercises, working on particular bits of choreography, etc.) How does that differ from day to day, vs when a competition coming up?

ACtenDance likes this.
  9. The Newt

The Newt New Member

I want to know if they have any advice as to particular exercises for dancers.

I also want to know what they are saying while they are dancing! It very often looks like they are singing to the music!

10. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I would like to know what both their favorite dances are.

And, I think they have VERY amazing foxtrot. They're exceptional generally, but the foxtrot is extra.

11. DanceMentor

I know that they use a red light, yellow light, green light system where Emanuel gives signals to her to let her know the are moving, about to move, or stopping. I don't recall hearing too much about waiting, but maybe if you can clarify what you mean, I can pose the question in the right way.

12. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I haven't even got the first clue what this means...but I'll wait for the interview.

13. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

I confess I am infatuated with Tanya, liked her for ages!! I'd like to ask:
    What does Tanya think is the role of the follower, and what does a follower bring into the dance? How does she enhance what the partner is trying to do without interfering and overdancing her guy? How does she balance being active with following?

What do they think about the character of tango? To them, is it an angry dance? Or clever, or seductive, or something else? Do they look forward to this dance compared to the other four?

What tools do they like to use for accents, to make dancing more musical?

How do they prepare for competitions, training, diet, etc.?

Do they do other types of training besides ballroom, like ballet, yoga, etc.?

Who comes up with their choreography?

Which dancers inspired them?

raindance likes this.
  14. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

How do they deal with the extreme travel especially regarding jet lag?

15. DanceMentor

Great questions. I will be sending the first newsletter shortly and then I will send out the questions to them!

16. DanceMentor

It's coming! Going to publish soon. :)

ajiboyet likes this.