Irish Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Spitfire, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Being that it's St. Patrick's Day plus after reading an article in our local paper about some young people from a local Irish Dance school who qualified for an event in Belfast I'll ask if anyone here has ever done Irish Dancing?
  2. Aura

Aura Active Member

No, I haven't done Irish Step-dancing, but it's been a big dream of mine to learn because I adore the music. Unfortunately, there are no schools near me, so I'm going to invest in a DVD.
  3. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Closest I've come to it was a line dance called "Whirly Reel" to the song of the same name. You can find it on YouTube, but we danced to an abreviated version.
    Wish I would have been able to talk the local teacher into doing it once a year.
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ha! all of my cousins - their children in Jersey and Boston do competitive Irish Dancing. And I must say,,,,they are pretty darn good at it. (there is a considerable amount of 100% Irish in our family)!
  5. lemonade

lemonade New Member

I used to take lessons, although did not compete. It is wonderful, great exercise and the music is so amazing. I had two different instructors, the first I did not click with, very rule book oriented and old school, the 2nd was amazing, with a freer view of the dance, I compared them to Riverdance vs Lord of the Dance. Michael Flatley revolutionized the dance with the use of arms and innovative steps in Lord of the Dance. Riverdance is the more historical traditional dance. Needless to say, I had great fun learning this dance with my second instructor.

If you are considering it, I would scout out any instructors in your area and try them each before signing up. All ages took lessons where I did, and there are different ways to compete/perform.