Is tango easy?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by UKDancer, Nov 22, 2011.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

And he's modest, too. :rolleyes: :wink:
  2. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Bugger all that...use a food processor...and vodka in place of half the water. And pre-cook the apples.
  3. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

That's too nuevo an approach for me. And I'd rather drink the vodka than bake with it.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*giggle*
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

better still pour damson vodka over at the end and flambe it.
  6. newbie

newbie Active Member

In this case you can spend 10000 hours without becoming a master. The first ten hours are useful then the 9990 are walking on a plateau. You tell to yourself "I will be good", you start searching for a place and a follower to hone each tango skill for 10000 hours and you discover that is is not possible, because followers just want to dance, while places are not so easy to find and book. After a while you tell to yourself "Ok I will just be mediocre like everybody else".
  7. UKDancer

I'm not sure that I am ready to devote 10,000 hours to my tango development (there are other dances too, remember), but if I thought that for even the average social dancer with modest aspirations, progress was not really possible after 10 hours, then I wouldn't have bothered at all.

And I don't think that the insuperable obstacle to development is the general fecklessness of followers, but I do agree that it takes a particular effort to find somewhere to practise and someone to practise with (ie not just to dance).

But regardless of how long it takes to 'master' this dance, I can't believe the blurb to which I referred earlier that mastery is easy, not even of the basics. I'd go further (although no one else has picked up on this aspect of my original questions), that the basics are so fundamental to the dance, that they are very nearly the whole dance. Anyone who really has mastered them, would find the rest, well, easy.
  8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

i think that depends on the skills the person dancing brings with them;

I have had followers dance beautifully after one lesson (sans cruzada) becuase they had ballet training or very good posture and sense of balance/body.

Leader's with martial arts training also have good balance and body awareness and seem to learn more quickly.

Others forget what they did in last weeks class and never progress.
    it probably took me two years to become a decent dancer; and learning milonga improved a lot of things...

mastery...one day it will happen...

It takes 10 years to learn a musical instrument; then you can begin to play with the music
    that's paraphrasing Jonathon Taylor of Tango Siempre..
  9. JohnEm

JohnEm Active Member

For what it's worth, I agree with both your points,
    the second more important than the first.
  10. sixela

sixela Active Member

I didn't know people actually considered drinking vodka.
  11. Peaches

As opposed to...???
  12. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Look around at a milonga and see how many people you think have mastered this dance. Ask any dancer if they think learning it was easy. I think that provides a clear answer.

I think I addressed your point about basics a while back. To me, the fancy stuff interferes with mastery, and when one has the basics mastered they find no need for fanciness.
  13. UKDancer

Almost none, certainly, but then there are those who have simply missed the point, and are awfully pleased with themselves (and all their moves, usually) but who obviously can't and never will be able to dance.

I think that's a different point. I don't see any reason why fancy stuff should interfere with basics done well, given the prerequisite mastery, but I can quite understand anyone who really is the master of fundamentals being happy not to bother with the fancy stuff at all.
  14. sixela

sixela Active Member

I'll consider cooking with it, but for drinking there are much better options. Even for cocktails there usually is.
  15. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

As a general statement, this isn't true. A lot of dancers who've mastered the basics indulge in fanciness just ok.
  16. sixela

sixela Active Member

Not all good gardeners end up with a Karesansui garden.
  17. Peaches

I dunno...a good vodka gimlet? Om nom nom.
  18. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I'd say that this is very untrue. I've seen too many people who are not only oblivious to how bad they are, but even think they are quite good! (hey, for all I know, I'm one of them!)

The only people who seem to know they stink are beginners. And of course they aren't any good.. they are beginners. They shouldn't have to be "good" yet.
  19. Zoopsia59

We are blessed with a wonderful pie shop here that has at least 7 different kinds of Apple pie on their menu. My way of getting the perfect pie is to go buy one!
  20. Zoopsia59

Most of the followers I know would be a lot more amenable to practicing if they hadn't had so much experience of leaders who constantly correct THEM as though the practice is only for her to be "fixed".