It's right because it feels right!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Movement, May 11, 2008.

1. Movement

Movement New Member

Is it just me or does anyone notice that correct technique feels natural when done well. And the only time correct technique feels unatural to me is when some other element of dancing was done incorrectly.

Another way to say it is, who here thinks good dancing feels so good

2. Easy

Easy Active Member

I do. The feelings seem to keep changing as one's understanding continues to develope. What felt good a year ago doesn't feel good anymore, but I understand your point and agree with you ;)

3. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Sometimes it takes the muscles a while to get used to it before it starts to feel good.

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It does feel right when done right. But it doesn't always feel wrong when done wrong. :rolleyes:

5. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes! The thing to remember is that the aesthetics of ballroom were codified because they were the things that made the dancing feel better. Whenever I teach my students something we always ask, "Why do we do this? How does this help the dancing?" and that invariably leads to better execution.

6. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

One of our coaches has always said that. "When it feels too easy, you're doing it right."

I've found that out many times.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

omg... all the time. just seems like The Rule.

happened a few times tonight... and then i *always* want to do it again right away, to duplicate how great it felt. but usually the first word that comes to mind is "logical". just makes so much sense when it happens.

8. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

I have had the exact opposite experience. If it feels too easy, I've been doing it wrong.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Widening the debate a bit maybe we are too desenstized and too good at supressing our feelings to know if it is feeling right in the first place?

I see people dancing some really c*** tango but if they're enjoying themsleves why should I interfere?

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

11. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I agree. I tend to make things harder than they are and when I finally get it right, I comment on how easy it is... My pro & I always get a good chuckle out of the things I come up with on how to do things. :wink:

12. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Member

As an end result, I definitely agree. But I do think that when you are first learning something difficult for you, you are having to break the habits that feel natural in your body. So sometimes it may feel difficult or unnatural. But when you finally "get it," it feels so right and easy and almost supernatural. Definitely an awesome feeling. But I know that some things that feel right to us do not necessarily equate to being "correct."

13. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Exactly how I feel. :D

My instructor is always making sure we know why we do things the way we do. He feels that if you don't understand why the correct way is the best way, you won't understand that you're making mistakes.