Jerry will likely be in the finals!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by smooth_dancer, Feb 12, 2006.

1. smooth_dancer

smooth_dancer New Member

Given that Lisa was already in the bottom two last week, Jerry should be heavily favored to reach the finals! Last week, Lisa placed 3rd out of 5 by the judges vote, and Jerry tied George for the bottom two slots. Jerry must have had more votes than either of those two to reach the 3rd spot with the combined score.

This week, unless a miracle happens, Lisa will place 3rd out of 4, and Jerry will place 4th out of 4 with the judges. Since tie breakers go the popular vote, Jerry should advance as long he doesn't get the least number of votes among the four contestants -- highly unlikely!
  2. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Even more interesting, is that Lisa (or her PR team) is campaigning for votes outside the show. This was posted in my MySpace inbox this morning:

I guess this is not all that surprising when people's careers are affected by this show in one way or another.
  3. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Porfirio, didn't know you were on MySpace! Just added you...

As far as the final goes, I don't think I'm partial one way or the other (provided Lisa doesn't shriek anymore, LOL). They're about equal in dance ability, although their strengths and weaknesses are in different areas. That said, Jerry does have a larger fan base, and if I'm being honest, I prefer Anna to Louis. So I'm not quite sure if I really want Lisa in the final or not, LOL.
  4. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

I find Jerry's dancing less painful to watch than Lisa's; I like Anna's approach to the task of teaching her am; Jerry's comportment is many thousands of times more appealing to me than Lisa's -- so I am def hoping that Jerry makes it into the finals.
    :peace:
  5. Big10

Big10 Member

When I saw the letter, I was reminded of Season 1, when somebody leaked out a copy of the e-mail that Trista had sent to her family and friends as part of a campaign for votes. Hmmm, and Trista was Louis's partner, too. :cool:

Makes you wonder whether it's the P.R. folks or "somebody else" who came up with the idea to use the Internet to solicit votes. Now that I think about it even more, Louis is the only one on the show who makes the keyboard motion with his hands when they do the backstage interview after each dance. I'm not saying it's a bad thing (since I might do it, too, if I were on the show :oops: ), but we should just think twice about who's doing the pushing in this instance. Louis certainly has a lot to gain if his student makes the finals and possibly wins this nationally televised ballroom competition....
  6. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

Lisa is so incredibly annoying that I wouldn't be surprised that she is turning off a lot of viewers.
  7. smooth_dancer

smooth_dancer New Member

Haha.. I didn't even think about the idea that the dance teachers are campaigning harder than their students, who are suppose to be judged. :) Yeah, the teachers have more to gain!
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I am no doubt missing something obvious, but what does Louis have to gain if his student makes the finals of this competition, or even wins it?

He already has a huge reputation in the dance world, and I'm sure he can pretty much name his price for a private lesson. If I found out an hour with him was $150, or even $200, and he were willing to teach lowly silver dancers like my partner and I, I would not hesitate to pull out the checkbook. (Actually, I guess that is one way the show could potentially help his bottom line; that he danced with a beginner on this show makes him seem less intimidating.)

In terms of gaining opportunities in the entertainment world more broadly, my guess is that most of the pros on this show will not have those kinds of opportunities, no matter how well their students do. I don't see them getting mainstream endorsement deals, for example, or being offered spots on regular network offerings. Then again, I could be wrong.

ChaChaMama
  9. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You couldn't see Louis getting a hair product endorsement??!! *LOL* I could see both Louis AND Lisa getting one....

They could have Stacy be in a razor commercial, showing her shaving those long legs. Wait a minute. Better make it an infomercial, we might need 1/2 hour or so....
  10. ChaChaMama

MQ, you crack me up!

And I can imagine the celebrities on the show getting endorsement deals out of this. It's the dance pros I have more questions about. With the celebs, viewers are like "Oh yeah. Drew Lachey. I'd always wondered what happened to him. Hey, he's pretty buff. I wonder where he works out...." And then he gets an endorsement deal.

I think the pros have to overcome the fact that they are unknowns. I also think that, sadly enough, there are still prejudices against people who speak English with an accent. It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but my sense is that some companies would consider hiring someone with an accent a "risk." :( Then again, I suppose it depends what the product is. And maybe I'm underestimating corporate America. I hope I am...I'd love to see great things happen for all of our pros!
  11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

I dunno. I'm a complete sucker for an accent. Of course, I do need to *understand* what they're saying, but 9 out of 10 of them would probably make me want to spend money. How sick is that??!! (Okay; I'd buy anything Max was selling even if I couldn't understand a damned word....)
  12. ChaChaMama

Ditto on Max! In fact, I have some products I would ESPECIALLY like to see him advertising...and you don't have to do a lot of talking in those Calvin Klein ads anyway.... ;)

Accents don't bother me at all, but I would also suggest that neither you nor I are the average consumer that Madison Avenue has in mind when they design ad campaigns.
  13. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

And Alec's accent isn't even very thick...;) Seriously, it's just "there" enough to be unbelievably hot, but not enough so that I had a hard time understanding him.
  14. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

Back to the original comment, doesn't Jerry actually have a really good shot at winning this?

Assuming the order of popularity of the contestants is 1) Jerry; 2) Stacy; 3) Drew, then Jerry might win.

E.g., Drew wins the judges, but finishes 3rd in the viewers. Meaning Stacy finishes 2nd by the judges and 2nd in viewers. They are all tied with 4 points, with Jerry winning the tie breaker. Stacy can win only if she finishes 1st (including tied for first).
  15. Big10

Big10 Member

We only have to go back to last season for Exhibit "A" to my theory. I think that Charlotte's DVD with John O'Hurley is a direct result of their appearance in the finals, and it is being marketed to people with little or no ballroom experience. The ability to identify oneself as a "champion" or a "finalist" in a high-profile competition is a huge marketing boost.
  16. alemana

alemana New Member

from Louis, you're saying? less than that? that would kind of surprise me.
  17. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I had a lesson with Louis once for $125, but I'm not sure if the studio subsidized the cost of the lesson or not.
  18. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Subsidized. I doubt it. They probably added some on top of his fee to cover expenses (travel, lodging, meals). An instructor always costs more when they are visiting a studio than when you go to their home base.
  19. alemana

alemana New Member

huh, interesting! thanks.
  20. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I deleted a couple of my postings to this thread because I was not sure they were appropriate.