Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dancing_princess

dancing_princess New Member

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to know where you find your jewelry and for how much/ballpark figure. I'm trying to find a bracelet, necklace (choker) and earrings and am not sure where to go. (May have to ask my instructors?) I did find a costume jewelry store in the mall, but the bracelet was about $55 and didn't appear to be a good quality (one of the stones is missing, e.g.).

Unfortunately, I waited until last minute (actually, I hadn't planned on getting them) and my comp is next weekend. :)

Thanks.
  2. redhead

redhead New Member

they sell jewelry at comps, for ALOT of money
    I made my own earrings before because I couldn't find anything I liked - and they look really good.
    I've never made a necklace (didn't need one) or a bracelet, but I'm planning on making armbands soon. Basically you find/make a suitable base and stone it using E6000.
    Hope that helps :)
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

And if you just want to purchase it.. danceshopper . com website sells a lot of nice jewelry :)
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Yup; I've purchased from them, too.

You could also ask someone who makes dresses if they can make earrings. I've had pairs made for $30-$40 to match a dress.
  5. redhead

redhead New Member

DP, if you have stones sitting around that match your dress, make your own stuff. Otherwise, there will be a vendor at the comp... danceshopper may not be able to get it to you by next weekend with all these holidays.
  6. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Princess, you did wait till the last minute, especially with Thanksgiving holidays and so on. Please pm me and I may be able to help. I make and sell dance jewelry (my online store will be active in a few days, one reason why I'm so busy). I'll see what I can do in the short time left.
    Otherwise, you'll have to buy from a vendor who sells at comps. Danceshopper is fine. Expect to pay a lot more than that bracelet at the mall, though.
  7. dancing_princess

Wow, so I really need to learn how to make my own stuff - costumes, armbands, etc (I found a class to teach me to use a sewing machine, next need a costume making class). I know this will help tremendously in the future!!

But, until then....

I don't want to pay a lot for costume jewelry, so maybe I'll go without this time around. I'm new enough for the judges to forgive, I hope. :)
  8. redhead

redhead New Member

can you borrow stuff from someone from your studio? I did that - when my friend danced Rhythm and I danced Latin on the same day, I let her wear my earrings since she liked them - just make sure to desinfect them before and after.
    s2k likes this.
  9. dancing_princess

Great idea. I will try that idea out.

Thanks.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I buy from bedazzled generally though there are many nice vendors....I only buy earrings as my dresses only call for that...I never see earrings for less than $65 that are noticable and worth buying...my standard ones are @$100...but that is just my limited perspective
  11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

DP - Any dancing in your area this weekend? Heading down to your neck of the woods.
  12. gracie

gracie Active Member

Costumes/jewelry

A good costume making manual is sold by dancsportballgowns ..youknow. Secrets of costume making revealed- directions for making matching jewelry, stoning costumes, and how to keep everything in place. Nothing worse than a bracelet that goes flying thru the air during a comp. Also they have a pattern for sale. But you could buy a plain costume from rainbowshiu and decorate/stone it yourself. Many come with armbands. You can look gorgeous for a lot less. Hope this helps. Good luck at your competition!
  13. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

I have also found that my grandmother is a great source for old costume jewelry...I don't know if this is true of other people's grandmothers as well (if not I wonder if I should be asking for more stories-of-her-youth from my grandmother--I've already heard the one about dancing with Bing Crosby on a cruise ship). Some of the stuff does tend to look a little old fashioned, but (if your grandmother will let you) you can take it apart and make other things that can look pretty awesome. On this tack, second hand stores can sometimes have interesting things.
  14. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

My grandmother has soma amazing costume jewelry. THe only problem is that is is not quite ballroom useful. A lot of nice beads adn wood pieces... but they just don't look cheap enough for ballroom competition.. :rolleyes:
  15. redhead

redhead New Member

DP - how did you do?
  16. dancing_princess

Thanks for asking, redhead. Unfortunately, I competed against myself, yet again. I've very disappointed. I would rather compete against someone and lose than "win" against myself. This would give me a better indication of how I did.

I'm assuming this has to do with age and level. I don't know that it's any better in the am-am category (I did pro-am). For now, I don't see myself competing for some time until I find a partner. I can't afford pro-am!!

But, I found a nice bracelet in Macy's and a decent pair of earrings. By the time the next one comes around, I hope to have a choker and a nicer pair of earrings. Thanks for your suggestions!
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

And geographic location.

Where I am, it seems the most populated category was Bronze and Silver Smooth in B-1, and also Bronze Standard. I danced as an A-1, an A-2, and later an A-3 in Standard (Bronze, then Silver, then Gold) and later Smooth (in Silver), and I rarely had much competition where I live. It got annoying after a while. I travelled to a few out-of-town competitions and a couple of times actually ended up in a semi-final in Silver Standard (A-2), so that was very very cool. But most of the time there would be just myself or if I was lucky three couples total.

Again, that depends on age, level, and geographic location. I hear there are a lot of Rhythm competitors in the midwest -- but there are basically NONE where I live in California. We have a *lot* of Standard dancers at all age levels, though, but very few high-level Latin dancers these days.

Good for you! I used to buy some costume jewelry at Nordstrom, but after a while I took a couple of beading and jewelry-making classes at a local bead/stone/etc. distributor (not a little craft shop, but a warehousey sort of place called General Bead) and started fooling around making my own. If you can source the basic materials easily, it's easy and fun and VERY inexpensive to fool around and make your own jewelry. I now make earrings/choker/hair things/bracelets for each dress I make.
  18. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Is your website up and running now? I would love to visit!
  19. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Reviving this thread to ask a jewelry question:

For comps, do you wear bracelets on one or both arms? I sometimes find nice bracelets but not a matching pair.

Sometimes I wear (snug) matching bracelets over the sleeves of my smooth dress, so they look more like stoning than jewelry. Would it work to wear just one bracelet? (The dress doesn't have any asymmeticral elements otherwise.) Which arm would you wear it on?
  20. meow

meow New Member

Dancers have been known to do both at different times with different outfits. Sure, wearing one bracelet is fine. I would wear it on my right arm so it is more noticeable.:D