Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a lot of overhead!
  2. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Couldn't say as we've never tried it... Her jewelry has held up well so far.
  3. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I'd say that it cost us about $50-75 worth of materials and quite a bit of time. The red and crystal AB necklace we made was inspired by a $450 necklace, and I think our version looks even better!
  4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Well, I tried to make a hair jewelry piece yesterday, and the entire thing peeled away from the silicone bonded base. It came off as one solid piece, and maintained its shape, so I'm going to try to brush some more glue on the back and use it as is, but it seems I cannot bond the layers of mesh together with silicone before gluing at least. I'll have to do a test where I use silicone after finishing the product and see if that has a problem. I tried using both E6000 and gem-tac and neither stuck.
  5. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any hints for making earrings like this?

[​IMG]

DP has a new DP now - his GF - and they are competing together next year. I'd love to make her some jewellery to match her dress but I have no idea how to do the earrings, and I can't afford to buy some premade.

The cluster thing is the main problem
  6. Lioness

Belated edit...without latex...she is allergic.
  7. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I imagine a whole lot of E6000, but I haven't tried to make anything like that.
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

yeah, I think it's just E6000. I'll have to look at some of my similar earrings. It's a large circular blank metal earring pad with the stones glued to it. You could also cut some clear plastic, like from packaging and such, to extend the "base" for larger designs.
    [​IMG]
    latingal and dancelvr like this.
  9. mindputtee

I've also noticed they use fancy stones or chatons instead of flatbacks.
  10. middy

middy Well-Known Member

How do not-flatback things stay stuck on then? Just tons of E6000 and you kind of press the stone into it?
  11. nikkitta

12. Lioness

Awesome! Time to find me some E6000 and some fancy stones

Thanks guys :)
  13. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

Just my 2cents.. I haven't seen that work in that stacking cluster... maybe someone else was more successful

you can create something close with different stones and e6000..... try flat backs with similar shape for your first earring

The e6000 is not solid enough to hold a fancy back stone in place, and you need something that holds the stone upright. I hate to see you get e6000 over expensive stones and then have to clean them. (not easy, I tried)
    latingal likes this.
  14. nikkitta

I saw these on eBay. Not the greatest photo, but it shows the back. For earrings with this many stones, I prefer clip-on.

[​IMG]
    Lioness and latingal like this.
  15. Lioness

Is there any particular reason you prefer clip ons? I'd think that with the increased weight would make it so the earrings would fall off really easily.
  16. middy

middy Well-Known Member

They distribute the weight more, I think? Some have an extra pad thing to keep them on or more comfortable.
  17. nikkitta

Well, to be honest I've never worn earrings like the one you posted in pierced form, but due to the size, I would guess that if they were pierced, they'd flop around more. Now I have multiple piercings, and if they had multiple posts, that would help with stability. However, I doubt that the makers of these earrings take that into account ;). Since you're making them yourself, perhaps you can.

My large rhinestone earrings have firm clips, and even with padding, I'm very happy to take them off after the dancing is over.
  18. mindputtee

I've never had my large clip ons come off while dancing despite whipping my hair to pieces. I have had post earrings come out. Also these style of earrings I don't think would sit as well with a post, the weight would make them dangle a bit. I find my clip ons quite comfortable and have never had trouble with them shifting.
  19. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

They will not sit correctly on the ear with a post. If you use a little eyelash glue (as long as you are not allergic) on a clip earring they won't go anywhere.

I have converted some of these to post earrings and they really don't sit correctly and my customers are just not happy with the look. I do my best to talk them out of this choice now.
  20. Lioness

Awesome I'll buy some clip on clips soon, then. I can see how the posts would hang weirdly.