Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Clip on, for sure. My ears are sensitive, and I don't even want to think about how painful it would be to wear such a heavy earring through my ear. Ouch!
  2. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

One other note, there is a pad that is purchased separately that should fit through the hole that you see in this picture. It will make the earring more comfortable and easier to "eyelash glue" There is also a bigger pad than this picture and you can make a more stable earring with the larger flat pad
    latingal likes this.
  3. Sania

Sania Active Member

Without reference to the specific earring design under discussion - I have sensitive ears and I can't wear clip ons at all - they are agonizingly uncomfortable. I suggest that anyone contemplating wearing them try on for a few minutes before committing $$
  4. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Active Member

There are several different brands of epoxy clay on the market that are helpful with chatons and rivoli that don't have a flat back. I've never tried anything that complicated, however.
  5. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Interesting. I can wear my heavy clip-ons all day (as long as I don't squeeze them on too tightly), but the slightest bit of weight on my piercings is agony.
  6. Sania

Sania Active Member

I guess it's an extreme case of your mileage may vary :)
    dancelvr likes this.
  7. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Alrighty.

I've got stones, I've glued some plastic backing to my clip on earrings...but I can't find e6000 anywhere. Apparently it's not an Australian thing, and I don't think I have time to order it on eBay (though I will if I have to)

Is hot glue an acceptable alternative?
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Uhhh. At the very least, I'd test this out first. Hot glue tends to set too quickly, and is well... HOT. There are other glues, though I don't know what's available in stores near you. Can you try your usual rhinestone glue and see if it works? FWIW, I used Gem-Tac to glue rhinestones on a plain plastic Christmas ornament, and they have held up.
  9. Lioness

The main problem is the tiny navettes I got are pointy backed, so I need something a bit thicker than gem tac for them to nest in. The alternative is just not using the navettes, but they're so pretty.
  10. Lioness

Super good news, though. I had a look at independent craft shops rather than chain stores, and I've found one with e6000 listed online. It's 3am right now but I'm going to go have a look tomorrow.
  11. nikkitta

oh, that's right. Pointy stones. Maybe if you let the GemTac start to solidify and then push the stones in? I suppose you could also use hot glue just for those stones, but it can be a real PITA to apply precisely.
    Lioness likes this.
  12. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Not sure how much time you have, but I ship to Australia and do custom work.
    Sorry for the self promotion, but can't resist.
  13. Lioness

I did have a look at your stuff at some point! :-D it looks really nice, but unfortunately my price limit is not very high :-( making it myself has turned out pretty cheaply so far.
  14. Lioness

I don't know why anyone would ever make pointy stones...seems like a giant PITA...
  15. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

They are designed to sit in settings, and they provide better sparkle.
  16. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Thank you for checking my site!!
  17. Lioness

Made them! Yay!

image.jpg

Just gotta cut the excess plastic off the blue ones.
  18. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Those turned out beautifully! Now I really want to try it out...
  19. nikkitta

So, Lioness, how did you deal with the pointy stones and glue issue?
  20. Lioness

I found some e6000 at a little craft shop, and used that to make a little sticky bed for the stones. Worked pretty well :)