Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Jieun Yerazka

Jieun Yerazka New Member

does it has leather in?

Does E6000 work well from your experience? I want try to make some jewelry myself.

2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I've had good luck repairing jewelry with E6000, but I've only tried small projects.

3. Dalilia

Dalilia New Member

Hi everyone, literally loving this thread! <3 Please can u help me with these 2 things?

1.Has anyone used epoxy clay so make a more solid base to glue faceted/fancy stones onto an earring base?(also haven't seen this in clear so guessing people just use the nearest colour?)

2. Any idea what stones Danceshopper use? I can't find that Swarovski do the super long navettes (see pic) so think they must be something else?

Desperate to make a pair with these stones :) Any help is so appreciated x x x

Attached Files:

dancelvr likes this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Search eBay for Swarovski navette or 4200, and see if the color/size you want is listed. I saw quite a few.

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

Yes.. those are they (above link) 15x4mm. They come in several colours fo sho.

I've used that crystal clay stuff and while it was fun, and in some ways easier (and way less smelly), i still just use e6000 all the time :)

dancelvr likes this.
  7. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

I tried using Ceralun, the crystal clay made by Swarovski, thinking it would make it easier to make earrings with the pointed or fancy stones. I ended up taking them apart and will stick with E6000. The crystal clay wasn't as secure as the E6000 and I didn't like the look of it peeking through the stones even though I used a silver color. I was also worried about what would happen if the earring was dropped. Would the clay crack and loosen the earring? E6000 worked well, you just have to hold the stones in place for a bit to let the glue thicken and set. Also, if you don't like the finished product it's pretty easy to peel the dried glue off and start over.

8. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Active Member

I tried making some using Art clay silver. I split the 10 g piece in 4, to make 2 pair. I then pressed out a shape onto silicon baking paper. I then pressed the stones gently into the clay and left it to dry. I removed the stones and baking paper, tidied up the form, then fired it using one of those tiny gas torches. I cleaned up the result once it was cold, and glued in the stones using E6000, as well as clip on earring backs. They look great, the only disadvantage is that they are quite heavy, which might not be so good in a competition? The art clay silver is also quite expensive, but so much fun to work with:) I also tried making a base using FIMO, a clay type polymer that can be fired in a domestic oven. That worked well too, and was far lighter. I used E6000 to glue the stones there as well. Haven't tried them out yet as had run out of clip on backs.... have just got more so must remember to finish those and try them out too. I used a silver colour clay. The Ceralun looks interesting too!

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I wonder if friendly plastic would work for something like this.

10. SwingingAlong

I've used 1mm plastic sheet to attach flatback rhinestones to, and then glued the result to an earring back. It works beautifully. I was using the other method because those particular stones were pointbacks and also tiny, which made them tricky to work with.... oh hang on, just thought we might have a language "barrier" and looked up "friendly plastic" - sure enough:rolleyes: something else I haven't heard of on this side of the world..... next project, investigate friendly plastic as an art medium:dancingbanana:

nikkitta likes this.
  11. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of flat profile hoop earrings at a discount accessory store, and glued rhinestones to them using Gemtac and it worked just great!

Gemtac is much friendlier to work with than E6000

12. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

With Ceralun, you sink in the stones and leave them. The clay is an adhesive as well so it holds the stones in place. I might try using a bezel earring blank and then mound up some clay and then cover it with pointed back or fancy stones. Nunn Designs has one with a loop at the bottom so you could attach some dangles, maybe two flat back sew-on stones glued back to back or a Swarovski pendant. I didn't know about Friendly Plastic. It's fun to learn about new techniques!

13. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

Do you buy the earrings online? I have looked for earrings to stone like that. Also, I noticed that the hoops on Danceshopper seem to be of different colors in between the stones. Do you think they paint the hoops first to match the stones? But maybe the glue wouldn't stick to that. I have read about using mica powder which you dust over the stoned area after gluing. I'm interested because when I glued crystal AB stones onto an earring it looked great but when I glued jet hematite in the same way I could see too much silver metal shining though.

14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

I have some of those hoops from danceshopper and the metal is coloured to match. It's like a metallic coating of some sort. I'm not sure what kind of paint it would be but it has a sort of shellac quality to it (if that makes any sense LOL). Makes me almost think of nailpolish LOL although i don't think that's what it is.

Ceralun is a really nice product and probably the favourite of all the crystal clays that i've ever experimented with. It does have a shelf life though. I've recently tried doing something with my old stuff that is 2 years past it's shelf life (i believe the shelf life is about one year, but I stored it in a cool area wrapped in plastic). It still worked, but it was tougher and much less sticky so I had to really make sure those stones were totally embedded in there. With those clays you want the stone to be pushed in enough so it comes up to the girdle of the stone. If this isn't done, then once it's cured it's easy to dislodge the stones from the clay. You can always take a bit of glue and glue the stone back in but the clay alone won't be enough to keep the stones together if you wanted to make an earring cluster and not completely embed all the stones. And yes, it does add some weight as well.

On a side note, the older batch test was a lot easier to pick the stones out. So while the clay still 'works' even when it's old, it's adhesive properties were diminished (and it didn't go as soft when i was mixing it).

15. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I bought them at Sam Moon, a discount jewelry store. They are silver plated. My costume had jet ab and crystal ab stones and the earrings were jet ab glued onto silver so it looked good. Also, the size I bought was luckily just right to close-set the stones and have very little of the backing showing through.

16. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

Thanks for the store name. I will check that out. I saw online that E6000 makes an adhesive paint called Allure that comes in different colors so I ordered some and will see if it is strong enough to hold rhinestones.

17. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

I tried using mica powder from Pearl Ex on some purple earrings. I dusted it over the spaces in between the flatbacks before the glue dried. It helped but the color wasn't dark enough. Then I tried mixing some mica powder in with the glue in my syringe. That gave a nice color to the glue and it held okay. I used Gem Tac because it doesn't set as fast and it is thinner I like the stronger hold of E6000, though, so I'm going to try to mix the mica in with E6000 and see it that works.

18. SwingingAlong

Sounds like fun. What colour were the earrings originallly, that the mica powder wasn't dark enough? Could you start with, say, a black colour earring? I've noticed that some nail polishes really bounce if you use a dark background, could the same be true here? Look forward to seeing the end result!

19. DanceAndSew

DanceAndSew New Member

I said the earrings were purple but actually they were silver and I wanted to turn them purple! With heliotrope stones and purple mica powder dusted over the top so the silver didn't peek through.