Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, on all counts

2. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I do standard. When I wear only one bracelet, I wear it on my right, because my left arm is on my partner's shoulder and less noticeable.

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me.

4. ChelD

ChelD Member

My current smooth gown has 3 bracelets that I wear over the sleeve on my right arm to balance the heavier stoning on the upper left part of the dress.

5. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I currently have 3 armbands for my smooth dress. I'm always unsure which arm to put which band(s) on, but always wind up putting 2 of them on my right arm and one on my left

6. Me

Me New Member

I like to layer multiple swarovski bracelets, no matter what I wear, lol! But, since I make them, it's sort of par for the course. You might want to politely ignore my opinion and go ask another person. ;)

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have a question regarding those stoned hair pieces: what kind of material is best for the backing? I've got a swatch of power mesh from one of e-bay sellers, but it seems to be too thin.

8. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I use pieces from a lace sampler or lace pieces from a fabric store.

9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Anybody know what the rubbery material is that is sometimes used on the hair pieces (and I believe on the appliques on some of the dresses)? I ask this question every year or so, but no one seems to know. I always guess liquid latex of some sort.

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I think you are correct.

11. latingal

Anybody know what brand is used?

12. Laura

Laura New Member

I think it's what you end up with when you use E-6000 to glue rhinestones pave'-style onto mesh. Haven't tried it, but keep meaning to....

13. latingal

Hmmm...let me know what you find out if you ever do try it.

Was thinking it was something different - like the backing you feel on appliques that touch the skin from vendors like designs to shine...

14. QPO

QPO New Member

I need to ask a question about earings, a family friend sells the rhinestone jewerly and found a lovely necklace and she was going to get the earings for me (peirced ear ones) they are out of stock but she has matching screw on ones. Will they be ok, I am worried that I will fling around the floor in the qucikstep and it might fly off. what do you think?

15. latingal

QPO, if you use the screw on or clip type you can probably use eyelash glue to help secure them to you ears for the comp. I'm not sure it will work well with the screw on type, but I use eyelash glue with my heavier clip earrings for latin and they do quite well.

16. QPO

QPO New Member

thanks for tht advice, I will have some glue with me, just in case :)

17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Is it possible that you could buy a pair of hooks and modify the earrings yourself?

18. fascination

get two erasers from a pencil and use them instead of the regular backs..or use eyelash glue on the regular backs...

19. fascination

the erasers work best if you are a sweaty beast as I am

20. QPO

QPO New Member

After the comp I will try to modify them if possible, but not before... too late now I will go with the screw backs. And try the glue I have some of that :)