Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. QPO

QPO New Member

Thanks for the advice... I appreciate it.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

gotta say I almost always have large dangley earrings, heavy ones...b/c i love them...and the erasers haves never failed me...I buy a huge package of those cheap re-fillable pencils...the erasers pop right out of those...and that'll last you forever....sadly, I have now managed to sweat enough that even the glue is suspect...but for most people, the glue is more than enough
  3. QPO

QPO New Member

This is our first comp so I dont know how I will go on the perspiration front, so will see what happens, But i will bring my emergency kit for the just in case :)
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

see old thread on what to put in your comp bag... ;)...and pre-comp disorder;)
  5. QPO

QPO New Member

ok will have to find that one thanks for the tip
  6. amiko

amiko New Member

Yes, make your own. Most dancesport jewelry is not really jewelry. It is stretchy fabric with rhinestones/crystals on it. So you just need to get some sturdy fabric, sew a bit, and buy crystals from any metropolitan downtown. Crystals for just an armband, will be approx. $10 + 1-2 hours of labor.

I really respect jewelry makers, because they spend tons of time making jewelry. Earrings, I would probably just buy. Instead of big shiny ones, if you are starting out, you can buy cheaper crystal earrings with smaller crystals for $20 - $50.
  7. QPO

QPO New Member

Once I have my ballgown as we only dance street wear, I will look at making or getting a freind to make some jewellry.
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

It's really easy to make cuffs/chokers out of velcro strips.
  9. QPO

QPO New Member

good idea and they can fit perfect to your body shape.

10. tanya_the_dancer

I'm bumping this up, because it would be really nice to find out what that rubbery stuff is.
  11. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I have some liquid latex. Could try painting some on appliques and see what happens.
  12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

somebody said they thought it was the glue seeping through the mesh, but no one who really is in the know has every confirmed or denied....

it's a conspiracy you see.... *grin*
  13. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, I was tlaking to someone who looked at some of those pieces and said they had figured it out. I asked them to join DF and post it up (or just tell me). She said she couldn't give away the secret. :p
  14. latingal

told you it was a conspiracy....
  15. tanya_the_dancer

No, that's definitely not glue. I made a couple of things like that using power mesh as a backing, and can tell you, glue does not seep through that much. I used E6000.
  16. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

WOW, that gelly like stuff is E6000? I am going home from work in 10 min and I will try that out immediatelly!!! WOWOWOWOWOW!

I <3 E6000.... we're friends.

Do you use cut up mesh under it to make necklaces and such? And do you make them on parchment paper?
  17. tanya_the_dancer

I glued a pattern on the mesh first, then cut around it. I should try the idea with parchment pattern underneath. I traced my pattern on the mesh this time.

I really want to learn how to make these better. Not only I will save a lot of money, but my hair toys will be totally unique.

I'll post a picture of my experiment into my album.

Adding: photo posted, check them out: http://www.dance-forums.com/album/photos/photo-3339.html
  18. latingal

Nice tanya! I want to learn how to make these also, but not ony hair pieces, but arm bands and neck pieces.

And tanya since you've tried it, and it's not glue - I'm back to rubber latex backing....

etp, do ya' think you can bribe your source?
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

Has anyone tried rubber cement?

I've always thought it you could do it with just a layer of E6000, but I've never tried it. Tanya's flower experiment looks good!
  20. tanya_the_dancer

You think just a plain layer of E6000? I guess I'll try.