Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Bella

Bella New Member

hello, hello DFers ;) long time no post huh? hope all is well.

my dressmaker, who I think was on a time crunch, made jewelry by stoning crystals on metal bracelets... gorgeous, yet, so noisy. *cling, cling, cling*...

my dressmaker is in russia for the summer so I guess I'm on my own... I bought elastic bands... I thought about covering them with fabric then stoning. OR take the metal bracelets and wrap them in ribbion (color coordinating and minimizing the *cling*).

I read through the thread, and i was still a bit lost. a step by step direction and a listing of materials/tools would be fabulous!

thanks so much :)

<3, Bella
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

good to see ya :)
  3. Bella

Bella New Member

ditto, love the pic btw :)
  4. fascination

thanks...I hope folks will chime in shortly to answer your question
  5. Bella

Bella New Member

bump... hehe
  6. fascination

c'mon people...help a gal out
  7. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I made bracelets one time by taking plastic bangles (you can get them cheaply at claire's, and they weigh less than metal ones) and wrapping them in ribbon. A little dot of E6000 on the inside of the bracelet will secure the ribbon. Then just keep wrapping all the way around, keeping it taut. Another dot of E6000 to finish it. Then stone all you want! :)
  8. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

that's so smart!!! light weight jewelry! Plastic definitely better than Metal, especially if you have to travel and dance with the jewelery, and less noisy.
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Anybody ever have one of the bangle bracelets you buy at a comp fall apart so that you can see what the core of it is? I haven't as of yet, but the material is springy, it's almost like a wood weave of some sort?
  10. QPO

QPO New Member

I am so very cautious at the moment with jewelery. got into trouble for wearing at a comp for my level. I did not realise that it was a problem.. so now I wont wear it till i get to the higher level.. just to be safe
  11. Vagabond

Vagabond New Member

Maybe it is a hemp?
  12. latingal

Hmmm....I'm going to have to research that one. I have been looking for the bracelet bangle blanks that they use, perhaps this might be a clue! Thanks Vagabond!
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

I've seen some made out of the same polyester horsehair braid that I use for hemming my skirts. The poly braid is covered in mesh, and then the whole thing is stoned.
  14. latingal

okay, where were you guys when I spent hours trying to figure this out via internet? *grin*
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Well, you found it out via internet...just later than you were expecting.
  16. latingal

I'm actually starting to think it may be chipboard...you know like the heavy duty stuff they use in mailing tubes...

I found one place that sells them pre-cut as bracelet forms....hmm...
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

Ewww, sweat and tanner...do you really think that will work?
  18. latingal

Yeah, maybe not.

Okay so I finally pulled out five of the $70 bracelets I bought at the last comp to match a dress. Does this horsehair/crin stuff look a bit like white or clear flexible plastic?

Four out of the five bracelets seem to be this plastic covered with mesh. One bracelet seems to be black flexible plastic mesh that didn't need to be covered - at least on the inside.
  19. Glasswren

Glasswren New Member

Horse hair braid looks slike in the attachment. The width varies though. :)

Are the bracelets the kind you just push the hand through or do they open? If they open, how are the ends attached to each other?

Attached Files:

20. latingal

Thanks for the pic Glasswren, it doesn't look stiff enough to be used for the bangle bracelets I was referring to - though I could be totally wrong (I'm inclined to believe Laura since she's done so much work int he field!). Whatever this core material is, they sew it together to form the bangle and also sew on it to cover it with mesh. But it it does hold it's shape well (good amount of stiffness) but has some give.