Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Bella

Bella New Member

Thanks all :)
  2. jiwinco

jiwinco Member

The horsehair works great.... I cover with dance fabric so it has a little give. I sell jewelry, and these make great bangles, light weight and quiet!
  3. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Ok, am going to have to try it then....thanks to both you and Laura!
  4. precious12

precious12 New Member

dance jewerly :)

Hi guys, i wanted to know where you all got your rhinestone jewerly braclets, necklaces, hair pieces for dance competitions, i just wanted to see where everybody gets there's. I personally love to stock up at comps, but just wondering if there were any other great companies out there that do great jewerly!
  5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I bought a few at the competitions or on danceshopper website, but now I just try to make my own. Except for the earrings, I will still buy those on danceshopper. I think they have the best selection.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I buy at comps and I think Bonnie Wright is the best
  8. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Heavy earrings

Maybe someone has some suggestions: I received some hoop earrings from danceshopper. I was surprised how heavy they are! They are pierced hoops and the part that sticks through the ear seems rather long, so they slide forward and hang down from the front--sort of. Anyone know a way to make that a little more secure to my ear?
  9. gracie

gracie Active Member

Would it work to put those small plastic earring backs on the post? I've heard of ladies using pencil erasers too.
  10. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I never thought of that, I think you're right that might take care of it. Thank you!
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

eyelash glue and pencil erasers
  12. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I use pencil erasers and eyelash glue as well.

So, I need to some some jewelry for my dress. I have made bracelets as well as my dresses, but I think venturing into earring territory is scary.

Does anyone have tips on how to make earrings? Where do you get your earring bases from?
  13. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I'm confused, where does the glue go?

I would love to know this too...
  14. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Also, what are French Clip earrings? And how do they differ to regular clip earrings?
  15. Olga35

Olga35 New Member

I think for earring bases you should look at Michaels or HobbyLobby, in jewelry section:)
  16. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

The glue goes on your ear lobe - this is more for clip on earrings or earrings that are not hoops and rather heavy front stoned. Like these: http://www.danceshopper.com/dance-jewelry.DZ_Rhinestone_earring_2031_MB
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

French Clip earrings. I actually have those. It's a peirced earring post with a wire clip with a regular clip earring, only the clip is a wire outline - place the post through the ear lobe hole (peirced hole in ear) and then the wire hinged clip closes on the back of the ear looping over the post. It's a very secured earring but if your not use to it, it can feel uncomfortable from the pressure of the wire clip pressing into the back of your ear lobe.
  18. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

That's funny Jan, I was actually considering getting those, but I may go for a style that's a little smaller.

And to choose between French Clip and Regular Clip, which one would you recommend (I've never worn/danced in either)?
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

You need to try some on Little Mouse. Personally, I got tired of my earrings "flying" into the seats when I would whip my head around. I'm use to the pressure from the French Clip and I no longer have earrings leaping into outer space - other ladies I know are very uncomfortable with French Clips.
  20. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Just wanted to add my two cents in about the hairpieces. I personally dont think it could be done with the E6000 because to me it has a VERY distinctive smell and when I have in the past picked up the hairpieces to look at them they dont smell like that at all. And to me, the smell is so distinctive that when people walk by at a comp after perspiring in their dresses a little bit, I can smell the E6000 from their stoning as they pass by. Its faint, but its there. So I really would think if I can smell that, that the hairpieces would about knock me out if they were actually covered in the back with E6000. But again, thats just me. I could just have a weird nose. lol!

Btw, I got a cool pair of earrings for my dress at a comp that were only about $35-40(this was maybe two years ago?). They had larger stones in them and look fabulous. I was so happy to get "real" comp earrings, lol. Funny thing is, they don't put backs on them until you want to buy them at which time they ask what kind of backs you want and then you come back later and get them after they glue the backs you want on there. When I came back to get them, you guessed it, they smelled strongly of E6000. I swear, nothing else smells like that stuff. And apparently nothing else works like it too. lol!

One last thing, I have never had an issue with my regular backed earrings flying off. Of course, I am still working on the head whipping in tango, so that may be why. Maybe once I actually get it down pat and do it more emphatically at comps I will have more issues.