Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I don't think it's something you want to happen... I've worn hoops before that flew out and it felt like someone was ripping my ear lobe off.

I decided then and there that my earrings can't be heavier or larger than a certain amount no matter how fantastic they look.

2. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I bought earring bases from a crafts store and glued large rhinestones onto them. That was for the blue dress.

My seamstress made the earrings for my purple dress, but she pretty much did the same thing. She glued a piece of lace to some earring backs and then I put stones on the lace.

3. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

omg I have had my earrings ripped out by younger cousins, my cat, my own arm, etc, so many times. So painful.... Not disablingly so (yeah, disablingly is not a word and I don't care), but still an unfortunate sharp shock.

4. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Ooooooh those are nice. I feel brave now: earrings here I come!

5. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

Yay! My first pair of cuffs! I know they don't look like much but I am so glad to have tried to do this. I have rhinestone bracelets that I bought cheaply but they are the kind that can snag on clothing. So I decided to give it a try and make some. Ok I admit it, the seamstress sewed the material and I stoned it. I needed it for this weekend but for a next comp, allowing for more time, I will try to sew the base myself.

I used Gem-Tac & those angled bead tweezers. It went very well and I found as long as I didn't pinch the tweezers too tightly I could easily pick up the crystals. However, I had to wipe off the tweezer ends every so often because they accumulated the glue. Perhaps that's due to me dotting too much glue on the fabric (I was scared that the stones would fall off.)

Attached Files:

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Excellent Little Mouse. I love making accessories.

7. ktia85

ktia85 Member

Looks great, Little Mouse! I did this with my last dress that I had made for me, they turned out great!

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Hahah this is hilarious because i made some bracelets with E6000 and my BF kept saying "what is that HORRIBLE smell?!?!?". He made me leave them outside until the smell diffused enough that he could at least tolerate it. LOL. I don't love the smell, but the smell makes me think of 'competition time' since it was also what our fitness/bodybuilding competition bikinis smelled like hahah.

Anyway, now i finally understand what you guys are talking about...this mysterious rubber material. At the comp last weekend, for the first time i saw some of these! And they looked so gorgeous but i didn't even ask about the price. Unfortunately i didn't get a lot of time to inspect them because i was so busy that weekend and i wish i did because now i'm also deeply curious as to what exactly this material IS, and how i can make my own!!!

9. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

LOL that's so bizarre! Your eye cream? coudln't have been that bad ;) but i guess yeah, this is always a concern of mine too....if people find my bracelets really smell then i try to wait a while before wearing them at social practices LOL. I'm always concerned people might not want to dance with me haha.

10. BreAna

BreAna Member

I bought some great earrings at Yankee last year, but they're orange and my new rhythm dress is turquoise. I've tried random department stores and DanceShopper, but haven't really found anything that works. DanceShopper only had rhinestone hoops, which I can easily make myself. I tried Etsy and the like, so I guess I'll just make some hoops if I have to. Are there any other good ballroom jewelers?

also, I've been looking at hairpieces. I've stoned a dress before so I'm thinking about just making my own, but I haven't found any tutorials. What is the material used to make them? something soft like leather or moleskin? and how is it attached? pins?

11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I think I saw a lot of jewelry on danceshopper site.
    They have them even organized by rhinestone color and have a huge selection there. They seem to be a tad expensive but there are a lot of nice options

12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I've been playing around with this lately. I'm using clear silicon sealant and about 5 layers of stretch net/powermesh. It seems to be giving a pretty good effect, though I don't have a "real" one to compare it to. Maybe once I've got the kinks ironed out I'll make a tutorial.

13. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm highly interested in your technique!! :) Do you get the clear silicon sealant at a hardware store? I asked around at craft store about silicon and they looked at me like i was crazy.

I was thinking about making a bib necklace encrusted with stones...basically glued on to fabric but was considering backing the fabric with silicon.

14. kckc

kckc Active Member

somewhere in some other thread I believe it was finally decided that the substance in question is liquid latex, available at crafty stores. Same technique IIRC, layers of mesh etc. I personally am allergic so I haven't tried it. Boy, I'm a big help, aren't I. LOL

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

HAhahah. IT is kind of helpful; I haven't run across that info tidbit yet so i do appreciate your post! I know a couple girls at the school who are allergic to latex, which is why i haven't bothered to experiment with it. I'm not allerfic, but if i'm going to guinea-pig all my supplies, i'm hoping to share my results with all my friends for maximum benefit. :cool:

16. mindputtee

I had the silicon sealant in my garage, but yes, I've seen it at the hardware store. I actually JUST made a necklace with this technique, hopefully this will help: http://stitchesandsparkles.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-little-mesh-rhinestones-glue-and-some.html

17. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

AAAHHHH THANK YOU!!!! I see. This is exactly the kind of process i wanted to experiment with! YAY!!!! :):):)

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Or aquarium glue -- will not have "mold inhibitors" like many silicone bathroom sealants you find at the hardware store. Look for "aquarium safe" glue. Most likely it will be cheaper in a hardware store vs. pet store. But I have also seen silicone sealant at craft stores. Fun stuff.

19. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Mindputtee...what did you use to cut out the design? A stanley knife?

20. mindputtee

A pair of nice sharp fabric scissors.