Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Is this stuff "skin-safe"? Like having this product (once it's set) against your skin for prolonged periods isn't a hazard of any sort? THere are silicon products i have found that would work (used in make-up special effects) that is skin-safe however the working time of this product after mixing is like *one* minute before it sets and there's no way i can work that fast HAHAHA.

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

It looks like it's ok once it's cured: http://www.head-fi.org/t/465987/mat...silicone-caulk-safe-for-extended-skin-contact

If you want to be safe, either get the skin-safe stuff or aquarium quality, though you're going to pay more for either. The stuff I have is pretty much just silicone and vinegar. Give it long enough to cure and you should be ok. It's likely that the skin-safe one just cures faster so there's less of a chance of irritating your skin with the acetic acid being released.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

It takes a while to cure, and forms a skin but is still squishy for a while. So yeah, there is some time to work with it before it's too late.

4. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thank you...you guys are most helpful!!

5. mindputtee

I made some more hair ornaments and ran across something that you might want to take note of: some of my stones seem to have lost their color. About 2/3 of the apricot preciosa stones in my design have either greyed and darkened or lost all their color entirely. I think this may be from it sitting with another silicone backed piece on top of it and the acetic acid may have caused the color change. I stoned these with a mix of swarovski and preciosa and the swarovski (AB and light sapphire) seem to be fine but 2/3 of the apricot ones are ruined and will need to be replaced.

6. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Wow. That's very interesting (albeit, unfortunate!). Good to know though. I would have never thought about something like that.

7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  8. mindputtee

That's gorgeous! I love your design.

Miss Silly likes this.
  9. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Good job!!!! I also enjoyed the commentary ;-)

Miss Silly likes this.
  10. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thanks ladies! :) It actually wasn't as difficult as i thought it would be. The product was relatively easy to work with. I would totally recommend it to people. It's always fun (and much cheaper!) to make your own stuff ;-P

11. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

wow that's awesome! I love it!

Miss Silly likes this.
  12. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Yes, please review my site

13. canismajor41

Miss Silly - I'm going to try to make a necklace following what you did but the link was broken :-( What product did you end up using and did it tarnish the stones over time at all? I was at michael's this morning and the polyester silicone stuff looked a bit scary with all the hazard signs and warnings posted all over the container. I also found another product that is for creating a non-skid surface on the back of hand-woven rugs and wondered about using that.

14. mindputtee

So, I was wondering, what is the purpose of the silicon/latex backing? Is it to keep the necklace from moving?

15. canismajor41

I think that and perhaps give it some heft. Gluing stones to fabric that hasn't been reinforced in some way might appear too limp. That's my guess. I think it also helps it to lay nicely against the skin. Without it, the fabric might flip over on itself.

16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Exactly that ^^^ it creates a very nice, sturdy piece. The silicone starts to warm and kind of molds itself to you. I personally like the weight of it as well. The necklace will move a bit but the weight of it helps it stay. I use a two-part solution that is skin-friendly. I didn't trust anything at the hardware store (i'm not thrilled about the idea of potentially getting cancer from the stuff LOL) but rather went somewhere that sold products used for special effects and prosthetics. It doesn't have any effect to the stones---in fact, it doesn't even stick to them LOL. I've only been making them for about a year so while my system has improved a lot since the first one, i have yet to see how the last long-term but so far they end up pretty sturdy.

When i examine a dress by Maria McGill (Designs that Shine) and Irina Birukova (Fashions for Passion), it is still a mystery to me what product they use on some of the stoning embellishments that have a backing of sorts. It very much resembles silicone, but stones and beads do seem to stick directly to it. I wish i could be an apprentice in their workshop LOL.

17. canismajor41

18. canismajor41

I've been looking at the danceshopper jewlery using the magnifying glass and it appears that those do not use the silicone stuff. It almost looks as if 2 pieces of fabric have been sandwiched together with glue. I might try this and see what happends, because I have all the materials on hand. Whatever I end up doing, I'll post the results. The fabric they use almost looks like a nude knitted or woven elastic.

19. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I've bought a necklace and a bracelet from them a couple years ago and it was that---that thick power mesh. There was no 'extra' backing on it. I can't remember if it was two layers or one... i'll check tonight and let you know tomorrow & post some pics for examination ;-P

canismajor41 likes this.
  20. kckc

kckc Active Member

A friend and I debated about the base of this necklace and finally decided it was a caramel color microsuede fabric. Whether that is correct or not we don't know, but she ordered some on Ebay and decided it was more than adequate for necklace purposes. We figured the applique and stones glued on there would help to hold its form but still retain some pliability.
    [​IMG]

mindputtee and Miss Silly like this.