Jewelry - competing/costume

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancing_princess, Nov 23, 2005.

1. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Thanks KC. Another creative idea.... pretty necklace!
  2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

I'm in the process of moving/trying to sell my condo so most of my things are in storage. I couldn't find the necklace but I did have the bracelet on hand. It is a double-layer (except for where the velcro is).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

4. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Awesome! That's helpful, thanks!
    Miss Silly likes this.
  5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

No problemo! You can see i have a few stones missing on it. I don't think the best glue was used in the first place, so that's probably an easy fix. The velcro was just glued as well, so it's a total non-sew project (although i know you sew because i like to follow your blog ;-P) but good to note for anyone else who doesn't like to sew.
  6. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

Thanks so much for posting those pics!!!!! I was wondering what the back looked like and what type of fasteners were used.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  7. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

The necklace is pretty much the exact same thing. Can't find it though LOL
  8. kckc

kckc Active Member

It is gorgeous, isn't it! And no, I didn't make it :)
  9. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for posting this! I always wonder if the rubbery stuff was the mold builder liquid latex! :)
    ACtenDance likes this.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Thanks for that! How do you (or your wife) think it would differ at all with the silicone backing? I've noticed some of my necklaces the stones and glue are peeling away, I suspect it has something to do with the glue not mixing well with the silicone.
  12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

ACtenDance, 5678dance and FancyFeet like this.
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

14. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

"I iz purrtteeee" is exactly how I feel when I put on my ballroom jewelry, too!!!!
    FancyFeet and mindputtee like this.
  15. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Yes, me! Sorry for the self promotion, but I am proud of my work. I will do custom colors upon request
  16. Egorich

Egorich Active Member

I know my dance partner does her own jewelry. She spends so much time on it! But it looks pretty rich when she's on the floor. 537020_366764163427552_1106312468_n.jpg
    latingal likes this.
  17. middy

middy Well-Known Member

About how much does all this cost for a necklace - to make it yourself? I'm sure it saves a lot of money compared to the $100-250 that a vendor will charge. I'm guessing it would take about 5-7 gross of stones? Obviously will cost more if you use sew-ons or multiple sizes.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  18. Egorich

Egorich Active Member

I guess it depends what kind of stones they use and the amount of time spent on the application. Vendors have it hard! I spoke to a couple at the competition, they have to pay a certain amount to the organizers for the space and sometimes even the percentage of sales.
  19. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

It is really tough on vendors, they have to charge enough to cover the cost of the event. Table fee ($800+), plus 10% of the gross, plus hotel, food, shipping of all the merchandise, or driving to the event. There is a reason that it is expensive at competitions. I do know that several of the jewelry vendors do very well, so don't feel too sorry for them. But there is a reason their prices are what they are.

Middy, you don't need that many stones depending on the design, but most designs take lots of sizes and shapes, so it requires a large inventory of stones, and the cut out designs are very labor intensive.
    Egorich likes this.
  20. Egorich

Egorich Active Member

You said it!