Josephine Bradley on Girl Teachers

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Feb 26, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

From The Trend of Ballroom Dancing by Josephine Bradley, 1953
    -----------------------
    A grave situation is arising on the profession which disturbs me greatly. Championship couples are failing to produce the brilliant young girl teacher. The male side of partnership is often interested in the teaching side of the work, but the girls are only concerned with the competitive and demonstrating side. When the serious women teachers of today, many of whom were champions in the past, are gone, who is to take their place ? Ballroom Dancing cannot be left in the hands of male teachers only. For a man to become a good exponent, he must dance with and be criticised by an experienced woman teacher who has studied movement and can convey it to him both verbally and physically. The girl too must seek advice from the woman teacher. It would be a sad day for dancing indeed if the feminine influence were lost; I hope that the girls will therefore listen to my plea and stop letting the side down.
    -----------------------
    Sania, frotes and hereKittyKitty like this.
  2. Soulmate61

Soulmate61 Active Member

Ha ha, it was probably for this reason Josephine carried on teaching in her Gloucester Road studio past her 85th year.
  3. Dufus

Dufus New Member

So how has it worked out?
  4. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Wow, she got that right... If she were talking about female Ballroom teachers in the Chicago area.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

My original teacher was a girl.
    Woman.
    Grrrl.
    Whatever.
    A unique combination of excellent dancer, fantastic teacher and hottie.
    Not many like her around.
    The most devastating part of having no female teachers would be felt by the dance studios themselves, because attempts to hardsell that stinky old sardine about 'the guy who can dance gets the girl' are MUCH less effective coming from a man....in male-only classes.......
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, since I have open Laure' Haile's I Love to Dance, and I think of Skippy Blair and the other GSTDA teachers, all of whom are females, and I think of TangoTime's PM about most of the top teachers in LA in the very late 50s and early 60s being women...

Hmmm... I see a book by Josephine Bradley published in London in 1947.
    Maybe she didn't spend much time in LA. And, heck, she IS writing about "Ballroom."
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i got four of those :eek: just saying:D