Keeping Practice Exciting

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Apr 3, 2003.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

What do you do to keep practice exciting? Here are some of my suggestions but I would like to hear yours.

1) We'll run through all of our routines one after the other without stopping to discuss it.
    2) We'll discuss any moves where one of us feels improvement is needed
    3) We'll work on improving that area

or

1) We pick a dance we want to work on (e.g. Tango)
    2) We work on technigue the whole time (e.g. Walk fprward and back, turning to promenade,etc.}
    3) We finish by dancing our routine for that dance

or

1) We review video footage of ourselves dancing or taking a lesson.
    2) After the initial shock is over we discuss ways to improve.
    3) We start working on it.

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I don't know, this may sound nuts, but I don't need to do anything... until I am either physically or mentally exhausted, I'm always game to practice! I love it. It’s actually been during practice that I've hit those absolutely sublime moments, the truly transcendental ones, which are the epitome of all that dance can be. I’ve only had two such instances, but my G-d, those alone are worth every ounce of sweat and tears, of hours and dollars, of effort and disappointments.

What I have trouble with is getting motivated to practice on my own, if I’m working with a partner…hell, that’s what I live for! (Speaking of which, I just found someone interested in putting together a one-time performance number with me—yay! Given that she’s away at other comps for the next two weekends, and my upcoming travel schedule thereafter, I have no clue when we’re actually going to be able to work through and choreograph out our music, but what the hell, I’ll be dancing!)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Let's face it. Routines are exciting. Dance drills are boring. So for the routines, I do as SDSalsaguy does. Just practice and have fun. The drills, I break into tiny (one minute or less) pieces, then incorporate them into the rest of my non-dance life all day long.

For example, I do footwork drills while I'm cooking dinner or practice standing in releve while I'm brushing my teeth. Just fit in the boring practice drills wherever I can.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Another related question: HOw much do you practice. In another thread, someone mentioned five hours for every hour of lesson time. Is that realistic? What do you do? Anyone?

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

The numbers I've always heard are at least 3 hours practice per hour of lesson time...ahough 5+ is better. The whole point, after all, is not just to have information but, rather, to make it one's own.

6. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Try practicing at a new location.
    That makes a big difference for me sometimes.

7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Three latin pros have all introduced latin technique drills classes in my city, so I am going to start attending them. I don't enjoy practicing alone, but a drills class sounds like a good way to get practice in a group setting.

8. anametuer

anametuer Member

Well, that is exciting! Enjoy. :)

9. anametuer

anametuer Member

I agree too, ... found a new location and group today, and yes with different trainers available if required, just for additional practice of 2- 3 hours, weekends, though have to commute 40 miles, but still quite refreshing. Hopeful of making a 'big difference' by gaining some new insights.

10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, within lessons, when we're prepping for a competition rather than picking stuff apart, I love doing rounds to music/audio culled from real competitions.

11. Gorme

Gorme Active Member

Different people once in a while. Just to switch things up and see if I really understand what I'm doing. If I can consistently do something with different people of varying abilities, then I feel really good. Swap partners with other amateur couples and do a little jack and jill standard.

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

lmmaoo almost oxymororic but sounds fun:)

13. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

Completely agree! Most days we practice with the intention of working through technique we've learned in the lesson and while sometimes time flies (when you're "having fun" :), other times something like a feather 50 times in a row just gets too much. Then there's nothing better than a run-though of routines to breathe some life into the practice.

14. Olga Y

Olga Y Member

We do 1 hour practice every day with lessons twice a week spaced out roughly evenly. So that works out to about 3-4 hours of practice per lesson.