Knee pain

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by LXC, Apr 27, 2006.

1. rebeme

rebeme New Member

sometimes you can have knee pain if:

your pelvis is either too tucked, or your tailbone is too out
    you do not activate your stomach muscles

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Every time I read one of these knee threads, my left one starts to act up. What's up with that??!! Sympathy pain?

3. LXC

LXC New Member

Sorry :p

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! My brother in law is a physical therapist. I think I'd seek out his advice first only cause then he'd know which doctors are the best ones to see lol!;)

5. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

"your pelvis is either too tucked, or your tailbone is too out
    you do not activate your stomach muscles"

Wow, I never knew this. I have a 61 degree sway back (which makes my tailbone go out a little) and have ignored my abs lately in favor of a master's degree, so I've been experiencing more knee pain. Couldn't figure out why.

I'll definitely get my back worked on and do some crunches. Thanks!!!!

6. Laura

Laura New Member

My ex-partner suffered through this for ages and then finally had to go and get knee surgery because he had a torn anterior and medial meniscus and the cartilage was peeling off the back of his kneecap.

Surgery was a success. However, he's still learning to use his legs and knees and posture properly so that he doesn't do it again. Basically, it's all irritation caused by over stress with sub-optimal body awareness/use. You can be trained through physical therapy or an awareness system like Feldenkaris to use your body in a more optimal way that doesn't throw the stress into the knees as much, plus strengthens the necessary leg muscles.

I was having a lot of pain at the same time he was, but in the opposite knee -- and interestingly enough, after he went and got the surgery and changed how he danced, all my pain went away and didn't come back.