Know anyone shy but confident when they dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Backstreet, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Backstreet

Backstreet New Member

The best dancers always exude confidence when they dance. They cannot be shy but have to appear outgoing and completely into what they are doing. Do you know anyone that you would consider a REALLY good dancer yet in person they are shy, timid, not very confident, or anything of that nature?

From my experience, all of the best dancers always have an outgoing personality to match that. As an illustration, all of my teachers are very out going and sometimes act goofy for a few laughs. I would hardly consider any of them shy. Furthermore, the best dancers at my studio always appear to be full of energy and outgoing. (I've hung out with some of them outside of dance.)

I cannot find anyone that fits the question yet I am sure they exist.

Edit: I cannot change the title but the title is a little deceptive of what I am asking.

Rephrasing the title: Do you know any really good dancers that are shy, timid, not confident, in person?
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Backstreet, a very interesting subject!

I have to say I have always been an introvert. I've always been shy, not comfortable with large groups of people and not terribly self confident. However, in my business career, I needed to be able to bring disparate groups of people together to work as a team to be successful. I learned extroverted behaviors to facilitate my work. It worked so well, in one team building exercise we did, the facilitator asked all the introverts to head to the back of the room and all the extroverts to go to the front of the room...the introverts in the back of the room wouldn't let me join them, much to my chagrin I was laughingly pushed toward the front of the room...

The point? I learned these behaviors, though they are not natural to me. Even though I can perform them; it takes effort to do it and on the inside - I am still an introvert.

I am learning to do the same when I dance. Luckily, as mentioned in another thread, if you do the latin movement correctly you end up portraying the correct sentiment of the dance. And again, if done correctly, it allows you to get lost in that sentiment. I think that is one of the reasons I love latin, it let's me bring out parts of me that aren't normally expressed. Am I still a shy, rather embarrassed person on the inside - absolutely! But you're definitely not going to see that when I dance rumba....
  3. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

:p , that's funny. I can relate. I get this at work and keep telling everyone I'm shy and no one believes me, cause I learnt to change my behaviour. But in environments where I don't have to act in a certain way I can get back the old natural 'shy' feeling.
  4. latingal

How I soooo know that feeling Shooshoo, you should see me at a party where I really don't know anybody, just makes me want to crawl under a carpet somewhere...
  5. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I don't go.

If I MUST go for some reason, I get really sick in my stomach. But it's funny cause if I have to go to a meeting/event/etc related to work and I don't know anyone, then I block this feeling and I don't feel that awful.
  6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You know I was that way until I started dancing this year! Now I can't wait to go to parties to where I can show off my dancing skills! However, the weird thing is that I'm still so very shy when it comes to group things whatever they maybe. I do not know why, because I used to teach college students. I thought about it though, and I think that you get used to a particular area (like for me it was my classroom and for you it's probably your work), and then you aren't as shy as you think you are. But now I'm a student again, and am in someone else's classroom, I am back to being my old shy self. Weird huh?
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

nah...i dont think its weird....i had such a negative body image and negative image of my own sense of gracefulness...that until i have gotten used to it...I would rather walk naked throught the town sqaure than to try to dance a new move or practice some type of tecnique by myself while my pro was watching...but I think its just a matter of how badly you want it and how quickly you can get over it...at least for me...i know that getting out there and doing it is the only way to getting better and the things we tend to do with our posture and our eyes etc, when we are insecure and hesitant make it impossible to effect good dance technique...so i just grit my teeth and force myself to find some deeply hidden granule of confidence....whearas in other areas of my life I am very confident...still, when something or someone matters to me...i can be deceptively shy in a way that most people would nver attribute to me b/c I usually dont let shy win, but that doesn't mean that I'm not ...and I do know at least one other woman at the studio like this...exceptionally shy and yet dances like a siren...awesome hot, even I want her
  8. Sabor

Sabor New Member

logically speaking, people who know they're good dancers wil by default never by shy or whatnot in dance.. in other walks of life yeah.. sure, but not in dance.. the same goes for any other art i guess or anything one is passionate about and knows they do it well
  9. latingal

fascination, wow...were you and I twins in a different life?
  10. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I am shy, introverted and lack confidence in most areas of life. I used to be same way in daincing too, but somehow I got over it as I got better in dancing.
  11. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Naked twins? :raisebro: :raisebro:
  12. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

Yeah, I used to hate parties, now I like them when there's dancing.
    I don't always understand the shyness, but I know you can lessen the feeling. But I believe that you are born like this.
  13. Shooshoo

Shooshoo New Member

I don't really see that shyness and confidence are interelated. Many dancers/artists are shy and when they are in an environment/encouraged or they do the activity which they are passionate about, then they let down their inhibtions and then you can see their souls.

I remember as a child I had the best teacher in the world for a couple of years. She has influenced me in a very positive wayand whenever I would see her out of school, she barely said hello (even though we still write and she taught me from second to fifth grade). Even me as a child I noticed her shyness, but I don't think this had to do with her confidence.

I think it has alot to do with the mind and whether one trusts to let down his guard and reveal his true self (does this have to do with confidence :confused: , now I'm confused).
  14. alemana

alemana New Member

most of the social dancers i know, the high-level ones, are quite shy and retiring.
  15. AzureDreamer

AzureDreamer New Member

I think very few good dancers are shy or lack confidence; I think the majority of good dancers -are- introverted. Dance as an activity is very self absorbed, and for the most part, excellence is individual excellence. Extroverts are going to be drawn to more team-oriented sports.

Specifically, partner dancing as an activity is going to draw a lot of introverted people to begin with; it provides a very structured mechanism for interaction. You have a very solid set of well defined guidelines for how to deal with people.

Anyway... a lot of people tend to confuse introversion with shyness... I think they are very different things.
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

you naughty boy...;) ...
  17. africana

africana New Member

I think many of us who were (and sometimes still are) the painfully shy quiet types in our youth and "regular" day jobs & lives find that dancing brings out the inner superstar in us ;)
    there's nothing like knowing that you got it and everyone else is watching

although personally, I'm still not comfortable with performing on purpose in front of an audience, that takes lots of talking to my inner self ;)
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Your post described me to a T. :shock:
  19. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

hmm.... I've noticed that for the most part people dance like their personality, or more accutately, their confidence level and self-image. Those who are outgoing and very confident with themselves tend to show that more on the dance floor. Those who are shy and quiet or insecure also tend to look that way on the dance floor.

I'm sure I know some exceptions, but I can't think of them at the moment.

.... will try to think of an exception...
  20. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Which is the nice thing about dancing, RIdancer. It increases our confidence and changes our self-image, usually for the better (even though it may not feel that way when we get frustrated).

I know that I am far more confident and at ease in social situations now than I was before I started dancing.