Ladies - favorite Latin shoe?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Honestly, I was scared of that, too, as it's been an issue in the past. My balance would be completely off when I went from practice shoes to my regular shoes.

But I've been switching between the two pair the last week and a half or so and have been able to adjust to the height difference within 5-10 minutes. I think in general I'm using my body better than before, so I can compensate more quickly. At least that's what I want to tell myself :D

2. moondance

moondance New Member

Ive just got my Ray Rose blizzard 2day only took 2days to get to me probally cos i live in the uk! They are amazing they fit my feet perfectly ( freakishly skinny feet) and are so comfortable ive just done 3hrs dance nd no rubbing ect im soo happy!:p:D

3. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'm kind of interested in Eckse latin shoes (one particular model, the Dale/Delhi? that looks a little like the Ray Rose Blizzards), but does anyone know if there's a heel protector that fits them?

I currently wear Freed Sophia in dark tan, like them a lot.

4. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

Has anyone ever tried the Ray Rose Sunrise? I was wondering what people thought of them?

5. dansa

dansa New Member

again,

Anyone tried Sunrise?
    Are they very very narrow like blizzards or are they slightly wider then blizzards?

How do u compare them to Blizzards in feel etc?

thanks

6. canismajor41

canismajor41 Active Member

dansa - the sunrise is slightly roomier in the toe box than the blizzard. That is the only thing I remember that was different about how they felt.

7. dansa

dansa New Member

what about the straps, cause they look much thinner then blizzards straps?

does it affect anything the feel or quality?

8. canismajor41

Sorry, I can't help you out there. I didn't have them on long enough to tell whether or not the straps feel any different, although I do think there were more straps and that the individual straps were skinnier.

If I'm trying on a shoe and the straps don't hug my feet tight enough, then I don't even bother trying to wear them for any length of time to see how they feel.

9. DanceAngel

DanceAngel New Member

I went ahead and got the RR Sunrise. I needed new shoes for the Windy City comp this coming weekend and all the other RR that I had wanted were out of stock till the end of Sept. Anyway, yes the straps are thinner than other shoes. I estimate that each strap is no wider than a quarter inch. I do have to say that they aren't lined but they are thicker than what I expected. The thickness is the same as or thicker than some of the other shoes I have that are lined. There is a total of 12 straps to each shoe and as you can see a brass ring in the center.

Likes of the shoes I have found: The 12 straps can be slightly moved around areas of your foot for better comfort/support. The heel placement makes the 3" feel more like a 2.5". They are ready to wear out of the box, not much breaking in required. The padding under the ball of the foot is thicker but still flexible. If you want a 3.5" it is one of the few RR has.

Dislike of the shoe I have found: The brass ring (on my right foot only) pushes slightly into the ligament on my second toe. But I can deal with that since it its the only dislike I have for the shoe.

I have never tried the Blizzard so I am unable to compare. But I did try on the RR Earthquakes in the regular width and found them to be to wide. The Sunrise are narrower in the toe box than the Earthquakes. So anyone looking for a wider toe box the Earthquakes are wider, IMO, and they also come in a wide width too.

Also, I have a narrow heel so finding a shoe that isn't to wide in the heel is hard for me but these I have no problems with.

And to give you and idea of how many sizes down to order since they are in UK sizing. I wear a 5.5 to 6 US street shoe. A 5 to 5.5 US smooth/latin shoe. I ordered in the RR a 2.5 UK size.

Hope this info helps.

10. canismajor41

DanceAngel - your size conversion is identical to what I've found works best for me.

I wear a 6 to 6.5 US street shoe and wear a 3 UK size in RR.

11. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Just FYI, since we've mentioned "wide" sizings in RR latin shoes...

According to the RR website, the size we are calling wide (in the latin models!) is actually called "medium +" - not wide. The reason why? From the website:

"Medium + is a specially designed alternative to the traditional wide fitting that adds extra room for the foot, without increasing the width of the sole".

Which translates into a bit of extra room in the straps or material that goes over the fore foot.

12. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic...
    Do you all stick with a tan color shoe? My latin dress is all black and was considering buying a black shoe instead of the tan I wear. What do you think?

13. canismajor41

I always stick with dark tan satin. Just keep in mind that wearing black shoes without black fishnets/hose, can make short legs look shorter. They also draw your attention to the feet, so if your footwork isn't perfect, black shoes on bare legs can highlight imperfections....so if you wear black shoes, consider wearing black fishnets with them :)

14. dansa

dansa New Member

thanks for info...

as i mentioned long time ago, my blizzards are too wide for me, although i bought medium plus size which i assumed would fit perfectly.. i can fit 3 fingers between straps and toe.... so its really time to get new shoes... but sunrise will be my next choice as i like the idea of more straps for the toes and hopefully this time i will get the correct size... will buy normal fitting and stretch them to my width...

15. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Mine are Very Fine, but they are the only ones I have had. I'll have to get a new pair when I start up lessons again, because I've worn these ones out to clubs.

16. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Mine are like a bronze, only because I picked what was in stock, as I wanted my first pair of latin shoes right away, I was so excited. lol
    A neutral color is nice because it will go with any color you wear, and make your legs look longer.

17. dansa

dansa New Member

Question: Anyone had the straps of your blizzards that tore/broke??

See my picture, the strap surrounding the toe of my blizzard just tore completely. Im in chock since,

1) these shoes were too wide for me
    2) they look still brand new since i havent used them much
    3) Rayrose quality is never like this normally

I dont understand. I Bought them in April, didnt really touch them until june since they didnt fit me properly... And all in all in summer i danced maybe 2 times a week max, because its been too hot (we dont have airconditioning where we dance, and tempreature in my country is between 30 - 40 degrees celsius in summer)

So i have barerly used these shoes and they still managed to break for me?? what is this .... :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

From the photo it doesn't look like it broke - almost looks like it was pulled out of the bottom of the shoe. Guess it wasn't glued into the two layers well enough. Should be able to squirt some glue in there and shove the strap back in, then clamp it while it dries.

But yeah, that is rather odd.

19. dansa

dansa New Member

well ok fair enough, the camera dosent really show properly cause i took the pic with my laptop... but u can see that its not the actual strap that needs more glue, it completely tore apart...

wish i had a better picture :(

20. The straps on the Blizzard are satin only and not reinforced w/ leather underneath so they wear out pretty fast especially if you have any toenail contact with the straps. This has happened w/ other friends who recommended against the Blizzard bc of this.