Ladies - favorite Latin shoe?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomboilergirl, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ballroomboilergirl

ballroomboilergirl New Member

Yah I think I'm definitely seeing a pair of Supadance sneakers in my future...yay for more new shoes! :D Bah, so what if I'm a poor college student...who needs a couple weeks worth of food, anyway... :lol:

Golddancer, have you ever used any of Daniel's tapes from dancevision? I've been thinking about buying some of them and I wondered if they were worth it...anyone have any experience with them?

So now that we've sorta segued into practice shoes, what type of practice shoes do you all use (we already know Jen is a strong advocate of the Freed Roma :wink: )? Does anyone use the half-shank practice sandals? How should practice shoes fit...should they fit like regular shoes, or should the fit be similar to your dance shoes? Speaking of fit, how do you like your Latin and smooth shoes to fit as well? I prefer 1/4" of toe hanging over the edge of my latin shoes, and I am trying to figure out how smooth shoes should fit before I buy a pair...

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I don't suppose there's any point in mentioning what practice shoes I wear, since the whole world already knows. :oops: :lol: But I buy them to fit just like my regular dance shoes. I still need the snug fit so I can control my movement.

3. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and I have a pair of sandals/open toe shoes style #1028 -- Supadance, I think. They come in a 2 inch heel and at least used to come in 2.5 inch as well. They're pretty comfortable, though I usually don't wear them for practice shoes, so I don't know how they'd hold up under all that wear and tear.

The problem with the low-heeled supadance practice sandals is that squat, chunky heel, I would imagine. I've never tried them for that reason. The balance is too different from my regular shoes.

4. pygmalion

You do know about ballroom sneakers with the higher heel and suede soles, don't you? Google tangoinmiami. $70. They look good, but that was the one pair I didn't get for xmas. I'm getting them soon, though. When I do, I'll come back and post.

5. ballroomboilergirl

Yah, I considered them...the only thing is, I feel like the Supadance ones would be a bit more practical as I can also use them as social dancing shoes, and I can wear them out to clubs when I go dancing and I don't have to hassel with hauling around an extra pair of shoes :p Plus, since they don't have suede soles, they're a lot more durable...but again, as time wears on, I'm sure I'll have more of a need for practice shoes with heels and suede soles :D I can always use more shoes.... :lol:

6. tasche

tasche New Member

I wear supadance 1025 with a cuban heel and stripey witcheypoo socks just to complete the effect

7. pygmalion

Hmm. Nice looking shoe -- needless to say, I googled it. :lol:

How high is the heel? Looks like about 2.5 inches. Yes?

8. golddancer

golddancer New Member

I looked at those dance sneakers.... wild! I bookmarked that site and will check with an Arg Tango friend, I think she has a pair of his shoes.

9. pygmalion

Cool. If you get some info, please post. 8) :D

10. golddancer

golddancer New Member

Smooth shoes should be snug and make sure that there is room for your toes. I find that the sizing runs about 1/2 to 1 whole size larger than my Latin shoes depends mostly on the manufacturer. I haven't really purchased a pair of smooth shoes since my first pair. I just use my Latins all the time.

I was fortunate to attend workshop with Daniel and to answer your other question I have used Daniel's tapes--Arg Tango only... The first tapes I used were from Dance Vision. l have expanded to Daniel's catalog Bridge to the Tango. Google the website because they carry his other tapes. He is no longer involved (he retired) but it is an excellent source for music and instruction by the premier Arg Tango dancers; both old and modern styles of the dance. 8)

11. pygmalion

Yes. Smooth shoes should be as close to your toes as possible, but should never rub them, even straight out of the box. If they rub, they're too small. Also, many styles come in round toe or pointed toe. I've found the round toe styles to be more comfortable, because there's less toe "scrunching" likely to happen. While we're on smooth shoes, I also prefer the non-elasticized ones, with a clear shoe strap to hold the shoes on, just in case. It's just a personal preference, but I don't like the way the elasticized ones look.

12. golddancer

golddancer New Member

I also prefer round toed smooth shoes. Don't forget to flex those hard working tootsies after a hard dance session. :D

13. ballroomboilergirl

Good deal...I got about the same feedback from Larinda when I asked her about smooth shoes: rounded toe, non-elastic, no flared heels, roughly 1 size bigger than your Latin shoes, depending on the manufacturer...my birthday is coming up soon so I think I'm going to ask for a pair of Supadance 1016 (Larinda recommended :wink: ) Gosh, I am REALLY beginning to turn into a hard-core shoe addict...just talking about them gets me all excited, I'm such a nerd :lol:

Wow, it sounds like Daniel Trenner's tapes are worth the investment...I'll definitely look into them :D

14. golddancer

golddancer New Member

Daniel's video tapes feature two different partners--Brook Burdett and Rebecca Schulman. [google]http://www.thetangocatalogue.com[/google][/url]

My friend who introduced me to Daniel's instructional videos had a preference and I think it was Rebecca. I'll ask her and post her reply asap.[
    [/quote]

15. yvonne

yvonne New Member

the crystal and melissa GOLD from International dance shoes are my favo dance shoes. I like te Melissa T-bar too!
    Kuzzzzzzzzzz yvon

16. pygmalion

Hi yvonne. Thanks for joining the conversation. It's nice to have you with us. Melissa T-bar, huh? That's a nice-looking shoe. What do you like about it? Is it just the looks, or is it comfortable too? It looks pretty supportive; I've just never tried them on.

17. pygmalion

I don't know if this will help anyone, but you never know ... I found a web site today that has the biggest/best selection of character shoes I've ever seen.

Google on La Duca Shoes. They have a great selection. Not ballroom shoes, for sure, but shoes for SOME dancers. ... or actor/dancers. 8) :)

18. BayAreaBallroomLady

BayAreaBallroomLady New Member

ahh yes, I borrowed a pair of those once when I forgot my own shoes.... I LOVED them!
    BTW:
    Here's a bit of research info for you who like the Diamante brand. They are the same as Dance Art. I get mine straight from the manufacturer in Germany, and they arrive within a few weeks. The price has increased considerably since I purchased mine (I paid $48 bucks for them in 2002) but they are still cheaper through Dance-Art.com than through Ballroom Dance Supply (BDS) who charged me $89... which still sounds like a good deal from what many of you are currently quoting.

They do runs on certain widths, so if they don't have your width this month, they might in a couple months. This is especially nice if you are particularly narrow or wide. It runs in letters such as D,E, F, and G. The G width fits perfect on a wide foot, but eventually stretches. The F width will fit a widER foot, but would be a loose fitting medium.

19. pygmalion

Cool. Dance Art, huh? I'll have to google, and see if I can find a direct link to the manufacturer site. Dancing Mommy also gets a good deal by ordering from Europe. Hmm.

20. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I love the Karina by International. Pygmalion also mentioned the Nadia - but while it is secure (and very sexystrappy looking!), all the straps rub against each other and give huge sores!! Maybe it's just me, but I find that shoes with fewer straps (although enough to be secure!) are usually more comfortable. International's Monica is also very comfortable, and really secure with an arch strap! I'm currently wearing a pair from a company called Dancesport International (can't remember the style) - extremely flexible soles!