Larger feet in summer? Smaller in winter?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuxedosam, Aug 2, 2006.

1. tuxedosam

tuxedosam New Member

I've been a size 4UK since I started dancing last fall. I bought my first pair of shoes back in October. Then suddenly around the end of May, I started feeling toe pains everytime I come back from dancing. I have a few pairs of size 4 from different makers and they all used to fit me, now they all seem to be too tight...

1. Do feet increase in size in the summer and shrink in the winter? Shall I get larger shoes for the summer and keep my regular shoes for the winter?
    or
    2. Does ballroom make your feet larger over time?
  2. Anna

Anna New Member

I noticed the same thing this summer (the first since I've started that I didn't take most of the summer off), my feet are at least 1/2 a UK size bigger than the shoes I was wearing last winter. But my shoes wear out so fast that I needed to buy new shoes anyways.
  3. Anna

Anna New Member

I guess I'd recommend keeping the buying a new pair and keeping the old ones around in case they shrink back in the winter.
  4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I have some shoes that were barely staying on, now they are very very tight.. wonder if that's the heat?
  5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I think my feel definitely have not grown bigger. I actually think that maybe they have shrunk because of dancing. As for summer/winter differences... can't say I've noted any.

T_E
  6. Anna

Anna New Member

Yah, compared to before dancing my feet are definitely smaller.
  7. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Ballroom definitely gave me thicker ankles over time. I couldn't buckle my first pair of Latin shoes any more after a few years of standard (too bad I'd trimmed the strap, so I couldn't go to a longer hole) - I think it was from developing all the foot muscles.
  8. arianiah

arianiah New Member

Heat, poor circulation, or being overweight can all be culprits of swollen feet. Make sure you are getting plenty of fluids because the lack of it can cause also your feet to swell-cut amount of salt in your diet. Do something to get your circulation going..since we wear such tight shoes..take them off when you have a break and laying on your back roll your ankles. This is something I learned in college in one of my technique classes..we had to take anatomy too. Hopefully this will help those of you who are having a problem in this area.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It could also be the humidity. If you hadn't noticed, things like wood doors expand with humidity in the summer, sometimes making them hard to close/lock.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose that muscles in your feet, like any other muscles, will gain mass with regular exercise. So I guess it could happen. The summer/winter thing might be explained by there being more activities to do during the summer.
  11. messyjessi

messyjessi New Member

Feet swell in the summer because of the heat. This will make your feet feel bigger in the summer and smaller in the winter. I think Anna's idea is a good one, buy a pair of shoes 1/2 size bigger for the summer. I have two sizes that I switch off in the summer/winter. If I don't, I feel like my feet are sliding everywhere in my shoes during the wintertime.
  12. PasoDancer

PasoDancer New Member

Watch for fingers and hands, too- I know this has noting to do with dancing, but for rings, watches, bracelets, etc... When my hands are unswollen, I'm (finally) a size seven ring. When they're big, I'm a size NINE.