Larinda's "Missing" Dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Here is a thread detailing more contact info.

So here is a rough sketch of my new dress that went missing in Baltimore at the USADance Nationals on Sunday April 6... The dress was so new that there weren't even any photos of it yet.

I got it from a dress maker who just started to sponsor me... Tatiana Knoll of Elle Dance. She is VERY VERY NICE. And unfortunately this is my first delaing with her... and I have to tell her the dress is gone!

I literally had the dress on for 5 minutes. And then they put it in a bag for me. From the vendor area I went into the Water Table Lounge to have a late lunch with some students. From that table I scooted over to the bar to whoop it up with a few friends for a few hours.

By the time I left the bar at 8 pm, I made a small trip into the ballroom to scheck the schedule, then headed back to my room to drop off the dress. Upon looking in the bag sitting on my bed I realizing that the bag no longer contained the dress. So at some point in time while I was in the lounge, or walking into the ballroom, the dress "fell out" of the bag and walked off. Perhaps when I left the bag with my friends to go to the bathroom, perhaps while I was distracted with my friends, perhaps when I set the bag down in the ballroom to speak with a student.

It is made from gold hologram lycra with lycra fringe. The point in the front is shorter and the point in the back is a little longer. There are red stones and gold stones, as you can see. It fits a 0-6. So it would be worn on a smaller girl.

I don't even care how or why the dress disappeared. I simply care that it is recovered. If anyone here could fwd this message to anyone else they think might see some random dress on some random girl, or hanging in a consignment rack, I would be very very grateful.

So PLEASE if you see this dress or know of it where abouts I would GREATLY appreciate any information... and am even OFFERING A GENEROUS REWARD! There is a POLICE REPORT that has been filed but I guarantee that if it is returned I would simply hand over the REWARD ... NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Larinda McRaven
    860-922-8198

[​IMG]
  2. BM

BM New Member

That's one heckuva number! Once it comes back, we might have to chat!

Will keep an eye out . . .
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It really is a great little dress! I was so excited to wear it at Emerald!!!
  4. BM

BM New Member

Hopefully it turns up by then so that you can get some pictures. ::grins::
  5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Prayers for you, LM.
  6. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Good luck. Hope you get it back.
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

If anyone sees this dress feel free to get a picture of whomever has it in hand... until Larinda has the dress back I'll happily circulate any such photos to every competition and studio owner in the country! :x
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Gee, that's an awfully sexy little red X. ;)
  9. Me

Me New Member

I am glad you filed a police report!

The Internet isn't as big and anonymous as we think it is, especially when you've got the entire DF on the lookout! Hopefully somebody will spot this gown on a floor somewhere or on a consignment rack.

Have you considered compiling a list of comp photographers and e-mailing them the sketch? If they see a dress they suspect is yours they could e-mail you the picture and you could go from there?

I am so sorry this happened to you. I don't exactly live out of a cardboard box but $2600 Latin gowns do not grow on trees for me. Plus, things like this just make you feel badly. You were out having a great time with other dancers and somebody took advantage of your head being turned away for five seconds. What disgusts me is if this thief was a dancer, they knew exactly what they were taking and they knew what it was worth. I am disgusted!
  10. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

It's absolutely horrible. I will definitely keep my eyes out. So sorry things like this have to taint the dance community.
  11. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

And people have always looked at me funny when I told them I don't like leaving my things in the dressing room at comps...
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

A silly question, but a point of curiosity...

What's the point of stealing a custom gown/costume? Aside from the issues of fit, surely people have got to know that it's recognizeable.

Unless it's just for the raw materials, and they plan to break it down (which seems stupid)...

Is it truly that hard to prove that it was yours, and was stolen, in which case perhaps it's worth the risk to whoever took it?
  13. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

My feeling on it too, dance world is so small, if it shows up anywhere people will recognise, photos will be taken etc.... it really cannot be used anywhere... and if its for materials, well, the value is much higher in whole costume than in raw materials... grrr
  14. ChelD

ChelD Member

Larinda,

Sorry to hear about your dress. I'll show the sketch to the video crew and we'll keep an eye out for it.

Chel
  15. chica latina

chica latina New Member

My evil mind working..: whoever took it could sell it to an innocent buyer and then that person will get all the bad publicity about the stolen dress... Hope that it doesn't happen.

By the way, i loved the dress.
  16. swan

swan Member

I think your theory is right that someone took it & then would sell it. The other possibility is that they might alter the dress a bit, so that they could claim that it's not the same dress.

This is so bad! I hope your gown will be returned soon. Certainly hope your sponsor will whip up a new one for you for Emerald in the meantime!
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

am just wondering if it might have slipped off of the hanger and onto the floor and some well-intended person took it to the hotel lost and found...might be a good plan to call them
  18. DancingMeow

DancingMeow New Member

What a cute dress. Hope you get it back soon!
  19. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts exactly, so if you do happen to see this dress let's not all accost the poor soul who might have the dress - she might be an innocent third party!
  20. Me

Me New Member

No kung fu? [​IMG]