Larinda's "Missing" Dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Apr 13, 2008.

1. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I am thinking about buying insurance for my 2 dresses.
  2. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Something like this, not sure what, might work for all the dresses that have been stolen. By posting a sticky thread of such merchandise, this might encourage some folks to check it before buying something, and then inform the authorities. Perhaps the thread could be locked except for use by a moderator putting a new item on or updating a current listing.
  3. Me

Me New Member

WOW DP I think that is a great idea. :) I also like the idea of keeping it locked.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Tanya, if you want coverage, you can always make sure the dresses are included in your homeowners or renters insurance.
  5. Larinda McRaven

6. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Thanks, although it really wasn't my original idea, I just expanded upon JEF's idea. ;)

And thanks to Larinda for setting it up! :cool:
  7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I don't think the dresses would show up on e-bay or be worn at a comp immediately. Whoever took it, will probably lay low for a while and then try to sell the dresses to unsuspecting buyer.
  8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Probably true tanya, but DF has a long memory, and a far wider viewer-ship than most people realize. So, keeping in mind that whomever ends up with the dress may be entirely innocent, we are actually more likely than not to trace back to the guilty culprit in the end... meaning that their best bet at the moment is to return the dress to Larinda for a reward now, vs. facing charges for grand theft somewhere down the line.
  9. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I wonder if there were other vendors whose goods were also stolen.
  10. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I run at nearly all southern cali comps so I will be on the floor 24/7. And when I'm not running I do registration so I got my eyes out. I will tackle anyone I see in the dress. Kinda cute and looks strikingly familiar but I'm not sure from where though. I'm running at Emerald on Fri, Sat, and Sun so I'll be your eyes on the floor. Best of luck retrieving your beautiful dress. Very sad though because I usually leave my phone and purse out at comps but it doesn't seem safe to do it anymore. It'll only be a matter of time till me purse or phone goes missing too.
  11. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Is it really possible?
  12. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

P.S. What does th missing coral dress look like? I know of a coral colored dress with pleats that has stoning on the breast part and along the lining around the back.

Also, I just sent a message to the admin of ballroomdancers.com (where tons of dresses are sold online) to keep a look out for th edress being posted on their site for sale. Hope it helps :)
    Whoever took it really has no options as to what they can with the dress. And even if they sell it to someone all we have to do is ask that person who sold it to them. We're after you thief! You can run but you can't hide!
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Could someone take the missing dresses out of the country and sell them in Europe?
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Probably. Although with the dollar tanking and the price of airfare, their profits are likely to be lower nowadays.
  15. Larinda McRaven

Blackpool...

Even with the dollar bottoming out... getting 1K for a dress they got for free sounds like a great deal.
  16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Probably would be a good idea to contact DSI who run the main consignment business in the Wintergardens facility itself. Better yet, see if they'll "accept" it and then notify you!
  17. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

Well I'll be at the Wisconsin Comp this weekend so if it happens to have come all the way over here, I'll let you know.
  18. contracheck

contracheck New Member

If it hasn't been done yet, what about contacting the organizer the Fortunas? I see no evidence that a willful theft is involved in this case. The dress might have been slipped out of the bag, someone picked it up, and took it to the organizer. Sandy usually tries hard to help people in distress. By the way, can the dressmaker make it again, even better than the original?
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

darlin...I will be in the ballroom all freaking day every day so you can rest easy:rolleyes:
  20. lcdancesport

lcdancesport Active Member

<hijack>Are you going to the celebrity dance challenge tonight? :)</hijack>