Larinda's "Missing" Dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

You are just killing me this morning...
  2. reb

reb Active Member

:rolleyes: wow - and to think I read it as just 'lost' :D

so to save some time and effort . . . on the map they issue to all of us who actually do live in California, la-la land ain't even close to LA! ;)
  3. Shelu

Shelu Member

My daughter and I go all over, we will keep a look out. We watched some of MIT today and the numbers where down. Good idea with the comp photographers.
  4. contracheck

contracheck New Member

The competition organizers should consider placing a big sign at the doors of dressing rooms, "This Room is Being Watched by CCTV Cameras," whether the rooms actually have cameras or not. Is this a good idea?
  5. Larinda McRaven

cameras in the dressing rooms.... classic
  6. Larinda,

If by some chance the dress is in my neck of the woods, and I saw it, what should I do? (I live in the west). Or, what should anyone do, that finds/see it? Call you, investigate/question the person, or notify authorities? It could be very awkward for both parties if it isn't handle diplomatically, but on the other hand, it is stolen goods!

Tinydancergirl

One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else. Eleanor Roosevelt
    US diplomat & reformer (1884 - 1962)
  7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

In case anyone think that I have the mind of a dirty old man, please think twice. The cameras needn't to be in the dressing rooms. In my opinion, a sign like "This room may be under camera surveilence" is going to be a strong deterrent, and it costs almost nothing.
  8. Me

Me New Member

9. Me

Me New Member

BTW I could SWEAR I saw one that looked A LOT like the mint one, too. Might have been eBay. I will check back and let you know. It was NOT the same seller.
  10. Easy

Easy Active Member

As it's against the law, I don't think it would work. For the record, I don't think you're a dirty person...just innovative :)
  11. swan

swan Member

I would be surprised if these were NOT the same dress! Man, these thieves have some nerves! Someone should alert ebay of stolen merchandise being on there for sale! Perhaps there's a way to track down the seller if ebay would cooperate.

I could see some extra stoning being added to make it look a bit different. Well, now we know where the missing gowns went or could potentially end up!
  12. Me

Me New Member

Just wanted to follow-up and say that I am very sorry but I cannot find that green dress listing. I thought I had placed it on my 'watch' list.

All I remember is the person selling the dress called it a ballroom dress, and they had about six other dresses listed as ballroom, but the other dresses looked more like fancy evening gowns. The green dress (which I strongly believe was yours, the more I think about it) had a fairly low opening bid (maybe around $120.) What I noticed is the dress was not priced much higher than the other gowns, and that threw me. I was reluctant to bid because the description was inadequate. It appeared that the seller had no real idea of what they were selling, or maybe they were trying to hide some details (for whatever reason) so I passed. I don't remember any bids placed on it. I'll watch for it - They might relist it.

I do remember this was a seller different from the one with the Latin dress that strongly resembles the one you are missing. This leads me to believe that if these are indeed your gowns, the thief has already sold them to at least one unsuspecting person. I recognize the ID of the person selling the red Latin dress and I do not believe this is a person who would knowingly sell a stolen gown (if that was the same gown).
  13. swan

swan Member

If someone can send this innocent seller a message, perhaps she can let us know who sold it to her & stop the stealing chain.
  14. Me

Me New Member

Good idea swan! I've been told it has already been taken care of. :)
  15. Larinda McRaven

I am not quite sure. Perhaps getting a picture and any information regarding who is wearing/selling the dress. I suppose since there is no picture of the dress the only people that would actually KNOW the dress is Tatina and me.

So first getting any and all info to be handed over to us immediately. After that we would have to take it step by step.

Calling me would be a good start.
  16. Has anyone thought of looking on Craigslist? Ebay isn't the only place to sell a dress. Since there are a lot of people on this forum from many different areas, a quick search on Craigslist might prove helpful! Just an idea....
  17. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Hate to rain on everyone's parade here but even if you find the dress the cop's aren't going to do anything. You'll never be able to prove ownership - a dress isn't like a car or a stolen check or something with a verifiable id that can be traced. Even a photo wouldn't be conclusive proof of ownership. The only reason they even take reports on stuff like this is so you can send them to your insurance company. Unless you were able to uncover some major "racket" with a pattern of behavior and consisting of large amount of money (large to cop's not large to us) they just aren't going to put any man hours into it. It's a non-violent crime and just not that big a deal for them. I've worked in the legal field for years - stuff like this isn't even on their radar. Don't waste Karma points sweating over this. The best thing that can happen is that people realize the dance world is changing and we have to change our behavior with it. It sucks but its real. Move on.
  18. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Well, if it got to the point of one party producing the scraps of fabric from which it had been cut, and the other unable to provide any evidence of how they'd aquired it...

The problem of course would be getting the dispute into such a hearing.
  19. Gumby

Gumby New Member

Do you know how much of any single run of fabric is made at a given time? - Well you might - you actually sew. :) There are probably "scraps" of that fabric in six different states not to mention countries.

And a person doesn't have to prove that they aquired something legally - you have to prove they didn't. Much harder.

I just hate to see people getting worked up and spending a bunch of time over this when even if the dress is spotted there is zero going to come out of it.
  20. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Yes, there are. But they are spread very thinly. Neither these dresses nor the materials to make them grow on trees; there's a fairly limited range of sources - someone who can demonstrate exactly where it came from is going to have a fairly strong case compared to someone who has nothing to back them up - even if it's ultimately circumstantial. The problem is getting a chance to make that case - which requires not only spotting it, but being able to get someone interested in the problem.