Larinda's "Missing" Dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Apr 13, 2008.

1. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

the police were at best, "bored" by my police report. When I called to get the number, they seemed surprised that I had bothered and kept saying, "aren't you covered by insurance?"

My company doesn't go everywhere, but almost so we don't need the tranmitter/receiver things in lineup, we can have them with us. And yes, RFID is sooo much cooler. I want that machine to beep/alarm etc and I want someone to squirm. I do not want to say "I need to see your label to check your inventory code against our stolen dress list".

2. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

And it will be there forever, so if anyone loses their dress in the future, we can assist in the reclaiming if its in the ballroom.

I think its enough to make people think twice. And really, that is what we need.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Too easy to wash off with some solvent.

4. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Before you described it further I thought you were talking about something like Lojack for ballgowns. Now that would be cool! :)

5. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

wow Chris is bumming me out.

6. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

TA DAH!!!!!! I found them. You can wash them, sew them into clothes and they are resistent to chemicals. And best of all.........the cost won't put me out of business. I verified them with my IT guy, so they are the right thing. (cause, I do have the ability to believe that technology will do more than its capable of......... having owned a 1986 portable computer and having tried to hook it up to my "car phone"...... I am often 1 step a head of the technology curve :) )

Its not an end all, but it is a deterrent and that is a step in the right direction.

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Them?

8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

So, you going to share this great find, dressgirl? :)

9. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I assume she's talking about locating good RFID's for her use in tagging the dresses

10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

no, thats an interesting idea, you will never use them... well unless someone finds the ship and gets rid of it

11. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

I know Disneyland has something like that for their costumes. I used to work for Disney and all thri clothes was barcoded on the actual cloth so you could not cut it off. If you sold your costume (which could sell for more than a dancesport dress) they could find out who you were and have you taken to jail. Scary stuff but hey, why you jackin people's if the first place you know? Good luck with that dressgirl. Fighting evil, one dress at a time :)

12. dressgirl

dressgirl New Member

Sorry, yes referring to rfid tags. Good for 200 washes.........so can survive sweat I am sure.

It requires additional technology, so probably not for everyone, but we will be doing it.

13. chocolatchica

chocolatchica New Member

Go dressgirl :) Are you going to Emerald? I can be your security! I may only be 5'1 without heels but I'll get down on someone trying to steal a dress. Lol

14. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

The harsh reality is that, with the amount of violent crime, many of these crimes do not get investigated for the most part.
    Working for several years in loss prevention I can tell you that, although check forgery is a felony, a person will generally not even be arrested for it unlesss they are:
    1. stopped or picked up for something else
    2. A background check is done to verify outstanding warrants.
    3. A warrant was actually issued for the check forgery.
    Police just don't go out arresting people for these crimes. They just don't have the manpower.
    Even then the odds of recouping money for a small forged check are pretty bad.
    On the flip side, the bank, if they took a forged check, has to reimuburse the account holder. It is the responsibilty of the person who accepts the forged check to verify identity. If they don't, it's their loss.

This I know because our house was broken into several years ago, and the thief took two checks from a book of them in a drawer. One was written, endorsed, and cashed 2 months later. We never knew because we hadn't reached that block of checks yet. The bank had to reimburse our account once we filed the report.

BTW, I have had, in the last 5 months, at least two new men's shirts disappear from my racks at vendor competitions. At a couple hundred a pop. it hurts. Unfortunately, I didn't find out until I arrived home and checked my inventory. The last one I had a customer travel to meet me after I had vended a comp. When he arrived the shirt he needed to purchase was gone. I looked like a fool. I blame myself because I work comps alone and I was less then vigilent in watching my booth. I am more careful now.

15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you were bringing something for him in particular, and you knew he would be there to purchase it, you should have secreted it away for him until he arrived...

16. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

I had something similar happen. You know those convenience checks that credit cards issuers sometimes mail you? Evidently someone fished some of mine out of the trash and used one; signed with a fake name (didn't even try to forge my name, which was printed on the checks) and deposited it to their own account.

I reported it as soon as I saw it on my statement, and someone from the bank called me and got all the details that I knew. They reversed the charge. Then two months later, a police investigator called and basically asked all the same questions the bank had asked, plus whether I'd be willing to testify. I said yes. They never actually asked me to testify; I assume they cut a deal or something.

I think when the bank asks for it, the police may be more willing to investigate. The amount may matter too - this was a four digit amount.

17. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Yes, I absolutely should have, if I had actually thought of it. It was a late Sunday call as I was packing to come home. What I should have done is make sure the shirt was there when he called. it's a trust thing I guess. I get all business calls forwarded to my cell so I don't miss a customer call. Too much of a hurry to get home. The good news is he found an alternative he liked, but very embarrassing. Live and learn, I guess, eh?
    :oops:

18. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

I shred those convenience/balance transfer checks with a cross-cut shreadder as soon as I get them to prevent that from happening. I do the same thing with pre-appoved credit card offers. I don't take any chances with those.

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Ditto. I have my shredder bag next to the shredder and any mail that's from a bank or credit card company goes into that to be turned into confetti.

20. Borbala_Bunnett

Borbala_Bunnett New Member

Hello All,

Happy news to report :).

The lost suitcase has been found, and both dresses are in it, untouched. According to the airline representative both luggage tags, as well as the destination tag, got torn off the bag; noone bothered to look in the pockets / suitcase itself for other info (I always have business cards / contact info stashed in multiple places), and the bag has been sitting in Miami.

So... the bag is back, the dresses are back, I'll be returning both to their rightful owners.

All is well when it ends well - thank you for everyone's collective well-wishes, I'm sure it helped the bag to find its way back!

Borbala