Larinda's "Missing" Dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Apr 13, 2008.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I see that on most of my trips up to canada, as they're always smaller planes (3 seats across) that can't fit any of the medium/large roller bags in the overhead
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

After doing almost 30 comps a year for coming up on (cough) years..... I can honestly say I check my bags with costumes and shoes every time. I have never had an airline lose my stuff.

I am not about to carry around, departure-layover-arrival, 4 pro-am costumes, during my 10 pro years 2 or 3 pro costumes, and 3 pairs of dance shoes... and my computer, and my dog, and my purse. I want as few things in my hands and to babysit while I am living in an airport, running from gate to gate, lounging in a gate area waiting, lugging in to bathroom stalls, finding overhead space... No Thanks.

Occasionally when I am at a local comp with no hotel room I might hang up a dress to drop the wrinkles. And I just leave it there while I go do my stuff before getting dressed. I would never leave my purse or phone (3 iphones stolen from ballrooms in one year was enough to cure me from EVER taking my phone anywhere near the ballroom or left in my purse unattended while I dance)

Mostly I can't be bothered to live a life terrified and protective over a dress. Comps are stressful enough.

And funny enough the one costume I did ever lose in 2 decades was the one this thread is about, that was stolen out from under me while I sat at the bar... so clearly if a dress is going to go missing, it can happen anywhere else just as easy as a changing room or plane belly.
  3. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I do think you can only do so much and sometimes you are just going to have something taken out from under you unfortunately. But I don't travel with a dog or laptop, so the dress gets to be my baby! ;)
  4. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Dress is also my baby, I carry it with me to plane every time, I put a tag with my name on the dress bag, so in case sometimes in small plane where there is no overhead room for dress, and they require passengers to check everything, I can easily identify my dress when pick up. My dress bag also has a separate compartment for shoes, so I put my court shoes there too, I prefer to carry at least one dress, one pair of shoes, and some essential items of cosmetics with me. I understand some people find it burdensome to carry so many stuff but there are certainly advantages of carrying all essential items of comp with you. Here is an example:

At Yankee Classic, DP’s pro-am lady thought she would save travel time, declined renting car with us, booked Jet blue flight to Boston Friday evening. It was such a nasty storm day in NY, Jet Blue had heavy delay, her flight supposed to take off 6pm, but plane didn’t move until midnight; The worst thing is Jet Blue is cheap, doesn’t want to cancel the flight and refund money to people, thus nobody’s luggage can be released, - she had her only dress and shoes checked. She pleaded Jet blue to return her checked luggage so she can find other airline to Boston, but got refused. She got an terrible answer from Jet Blue “we are not cancel this flight, but we do not know when the plane will take off, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow”; She was furious, her event is Saturday early morning, and she got stuck there, exhausted, can’t leave because of the dress was held for such ridiculous reasonL(( after waiting anxiously for 6 hours at airport, finally storm is over at midnight, plane took off, she arrived Boston at 2am Saturday morning, hungry and extremely exhausted, slept only a few hours before early Sat morning pro-am events. If she at least had her dress with her, she could had taken a different flight or even rent a car to drive herself to arrive Boston early to relax, no need to panic for 6 hours at NY airport.

Of course this is exceptional case, but crappy things do happen since when you book your flight, you don’t know the weather of the day.

I think dress + shoes most important, jewelries can be bought at comp; makeup and hair accessories can be borrowed from peers.
  5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

P.S. if you know some of your lady peers who have the same hair color and skin tone as you and also attend the same comp, keep their phone #’s handy. In case you forgot makeup bag at home or need to borrow hair net or hair pins, you can easily find someone to help. It works best to borrow hair accessories and makeup from someone of similar coloring. Craps happens unexpectably, at one Blackpool, a friend of mine forgot her entire makeup case at home, she bought some makeups at airport, but still not enough to create comp look, she had to come to my hotel room for each round we danced.
  6. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Did that costume never show up eh?
    I remember that post when it happened.
    I talked to a shoe vendor I know recently who told me theft has always been an issue at their store. It is too bad because this just puts a cloud over our passion.:(

7. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I have a Deirdre of London garment bag which is a bright purple with yellow lettering. There is no way someone is going to grab this by mistake. I take my dress on the flight with me with my jewelry in a "candy bag" and my comp shoes. Make-up goes in my dance bag which becomes my second carry-on bag and goes under my seat. I have been on lots of flights where if you smile as you come on and ask nicely the flight attendant has stored my dress in a first class or staff closet.
  8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I've never flown to a competition so I've never had this problem. I've noticed though that if you are polite and smile people are very likely to do what you want.
  9. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

I have had an attendent ask me if I wanted to hang my garment bag with my latin dresses in it, but I'd rather have it under the seat in front of me though....
  10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

My bag with my dresses in it have to be within a 6 feet radius of me at all times on the plane! :)
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Do you take it to the lavatory with you?
  12. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

That's not a bad idea...
  13. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this too, as well as the other dresses dressgirl mentioned.
  14. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

LOL...where's it gonna go at 30,000 feet up in a sealed plane?
  15. Larinda McRaven

No the dress was never located. Unfortunately the designer decided to make an exact copy of it. So as that one moves around from owner to owner... I will never know if it is the original or the remake. :(
  16. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Should have had the designer put a specific color label or thread somewhere inside the new one! ;)

(Of course whomever has the old one at the moment may well have acquired it quite legitimately as far as they know...)
  17. Larinda McRaven

right... and I saw someone wearing the remake, legitimately, one time. I had every official on the dais ready to pounce when she came off the floor. Then found out she got is direct from the designer. And THAT is how I found out about the remake. :(
  18. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ouch! :(
  19. dancerdol

dancerdol Member

I know the dancer you are talking about Larinda and you gave her a heart attack. : ) She had no idea that the dress was a remake of one that was stolen. The designer really should have done something a little bit different with the underskirt etc. on the remake to make it easier for her to recover the first dress.

I've been thinking a lot about lost dresses since we do leave them in hotel rooms etc. and I have registered all of mine with my insurance company and insured them as though they are valuable antiques/jewelry with a separate rider. I took Park West e-photo cards of me in the dresses and sent them to insurance also.
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

That was rather inconsiderate of the designer not to tell you about the remake, IMO.