latin dress

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Katarzyna, Oct 5, 2006.

1. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Maybe you should make a lowball offer and then if they accept it, have a standard skirt added to it. ;)

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

not sure I would like this style for standard. plus my next dress will be black... with very open back.. ok, maybe not next but next in 5-6 months...

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

THANK YOU for saying that. I *so* want to hand this model a sandwich, or gooey chocolate fudge sundae. Yikes :shock:

I have to ask though.... obviously the Pros and high-level Ams have been wearing this style for a while, but looking at all of that draping fabric I can't help but wonder if the average dancer would end up choked and tangled, if not by her own doing then by her partner grabbing in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yes?

4. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I agree. If it was overly stoned I'd be more understanding, but I seriously can't see why it should cost 850$.
    Another thing comes in mind. Is there a built in bra and/or dance shorts?

T_E

5. Twilight_Elena

Fat? I've got fat. :D
    Good point about the tangling. I was worried as well. And I seriously don't know. We have to wait for someone more advanced.

T_E

6. Katarzyna

I am sure it has bra cups and shorts.. but yes, price is too high for what you get

7. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a black dress make you blend with your partner? I was told not to get a black dress by a coach for that reason.

8. Katarzyna

I think it will be great.. it's made of satin so the dress will have a lot of movement. i like some black dresses.. maybe not ideal for big competition but fine for small comps. there was a thread about that way back when

9. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

The dress is sexy, I don't think it would blend with the partner because of the open back. I had a dress from the same seamstress and for the cost of the dress the gown I got wasn't all that outstanding. I'd say $ 450 is the max I'd pay for the dress, $ 350 would be more reasonable, especially since it seems to be completely undecorated...

10. Musique

Musique New Member

I 've seen this webpage before through random browsing. Absolutely love it. Now and123 mentioned the possible danger, i'm having some doubts about it.

nevertheless, is this dress made of one piece of fabric? maybe i'm underestimating, but it does not look too diffecult to sew...

11. Katarzyna

no idea, haven't see it in person... not sure it will be too functional.. it looks simple to make if you can only achieve a good fit on the bottom

12. Me

Me New Member

Heh well I guess I'm in the minority here... I do not like that dress.

It appears as though that model is under a healthy BMI. So, you have to take into account what that dress would look like draped onto a more common body figure. I don't see how it would make anybody look good, to be honest. I think it would make average figured women look dumpy from the front, and if a heavier woman wore it to conceal her not-so-perfect figure, it would look terrible from the back, as it would expose saggy flesh.

I agree that $850 is too high. I don't see the first stone on it, unless there are some on that cuff. Even if the cuff is solid stones, the materials to make that cuff would be around $25.

13. Katarzyna

I am sure it would look good on my bodytype.. I have curvy figure but a very nice strong back. i think it would look great on someone with those features... plus it will never make you look dumpy with the back so low. I don't like it on the model at all though.
    It's is definitely for someone in a good shape.. definitely not an older lady either, even if in good shape...

14. Me

Me New Member

Hmm. I've been scanning that Web site and actually like what I see. Their prices for custom gowns I think are fair. At least, fair when compared to what other people have quoted me.

I'm glad you posted the link to that dress. ;) I don't like that particular design, but I'm happy to have found the site!

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

It's the kind of thing that would be easy to make a second of.

(but not so easy to make the first time)

16. Twilight_Elena

I really don't know. It's definitely expensive, and I can't see why. But I'm afraid that if one would try to copy it or tell another seamstress to make it, it wouldn't be as good.
    I'll e-mail them for info.

T_E

17. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member