Latin footwork and... bunions.

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Nov 30, 2007.

1. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi again Miss Silly!

Yes, it's a technique thing. But no, it's not more turn out, in fact there should be no turn out in the passing leg at the time you reach the high tip of the toe position.

This one is too complicated to go into, but let's just say I use my technique efficiently enough that I control the timing of the passing foot/knee relative to my body (and the foot position) and the amount of weight on each foot. I therefore can control if the lip of the shoe curls under or not.

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Hmmmmm. Okay good to know. Maybe i'll just work on the other stuff first for a while! hahah. Sounds like it's a more advanced skill than i'm probably ready for ;-P

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:) thank goodness for long toes...cruelly and ironically, the only long thin thing on me...but, if you have them, they really come in handy b/c they hang over the front of most latin shoes

4. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

The Carmen shoes are designed specifically so that the toes do not hang over the front. It comes up around four minutes into this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peVGOg0ckYU

ETA: Yay, I get my big boy link-posting privileges!

5. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Hahaha that's funny because i'm posting in two threads (Ray Rose thread & this one) about similar things.... i'm trying those very RR Carmens and experimenting with toe pointing and [unsuccesfully] 'dragging' my toes in rumba walks, etc. And i've been thinking about random things about toes hanging over vs. not hanging over. I saw in a much older thread that someone posted about improving their toe-point that their shoe was too long. Personally i HATE it when my toes hang over. But i see how a shorter shoe would work for the point, because having these nice flexible Carmen shoes i can point but i see how i have all this extra shoe in a point that's not there in a normal foot position. And now fascination's comment... LOL.. so what's the deal with toes hanging over? Is this good? Or not good? Or personal preference? If your toes hang over, how do you avoid floor-burns? LOL

(btw thanks to everyone for dealing with my lame questions! haha)

6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Not lame questions at all Miss Silly. I believe we have older threads on toes hanging over in latin shoes, but I do prefer overhang because of the extra material that ends up past the toes when you extend to a point otherwise. However, the fit of my RR shoes do not allow me to wear the size that fits and have "toe over hang". And yes, toe over hang is a personal preference.

I've heard some people actually have the front of their shoes cut shorter by a cobbler and glued to make sure they don't come apart after the process. But I've chosen not to go that route. In most latin lines, the foot is on the floor when you point, so you can hide the extra material in to the floor (under the point). When the foot is up in the air, I just deal with it.... *grin*

As for "floor burns"? Well, you don't avoid them, but you have a little bit of control with how much weight you put on your toes. But even then, be prepared to have callouses at the ends of your toes. I have seen one instance where I saw a pro tape her toes, but I could only imagine how much of a pain that is doing that day in and day out....but who knows?

p.s. I do not "drag" my toes when I pass my foot...there is only very light pressure on the passing foot when I am in a high figure 4 position.

7. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

I did that for my shoes, worked fabulously. not as much overhang, I have the impression that it's easier to point my foot (may all be in my mind). both my comp and practice shoes were trimmed by my cobbler.

8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Thanks again for all your typing, LG! That was definitely most helpful.

All these details are a little above my technique level at this point (pretty sure i fully qualify as "dragging" LOL!), but it's been very helpful to know and experiment with...i've certainly been extremely curious about all this!

On a side note-I've had to strategically use toe-tape before when breaking in new shoes... it certainly would be annoying to do that at *every* dance practice & performance.

9. fascination

personally, just for the way I use my feet, I actually find that over-hang better than the opposite issue

10. fascination

I have seen lady pros with shoes that are obviously cut off at the end...I don't feel the need for that...I get plenty of damage to my feet and toes, but not neccessarily from this particular issue