Latin Hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Praesul, Jun 24, 2008.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you go to my photo gallery you will see that I wore that style in the pinkish orange latin dress b/c I had standard the next day...I liked it...it showed off my neck and that is never a bad thing
  2. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Dansa, I've used those things before, and they're great! They're my new competition hairstyle.
  3. BM

BM New Member

As long as your hair is not falling out of its style, you can do whatever you want to it. I don't like my hair totally shellacked either, and I try to at least have a poof to give my head bit more flattering shape (and I only use spray, since gel is too heavy for my hair). Can you talk to your coach for input?
  4. _malakawa_

_malakawa_ New Member

i don't like a bun on the top of a head. my hairstyle depends on a time that i have.

sometimes is just a simple bun, and sometimes is a flower or any other style. when i have time, i like to play with my hair.

check here - http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=27579

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      53.7 KB
      Views:
  5. black_light

black_light New Member

What kind of hair style would you suggest for curly hair, above-shoulder length?
    I just cut my long hair and have no idea what to do with it for a comp.....:confused:
  6. gracie

gracie Active Member

7. fascination

whatever you do, either pull the front up and off your face or make sure that it is so short that if it moves it wont obscure your face
  8. hhannah

hhannah New Member

How do pros get such perfect, flat hair?

I am always amazed how pros or amateur champ latin ladies have such perfect hair. When they pull it back, there are no lumps, bumps, comb marks, nothing. When I pull mine back, it never lays flat and sleek, even with gel. Is there a certain product they are using that makes hair smooth against the head?
    Thanks for your help!
  9. fascination

hi hannah...I have merged this question with one of our existing threads for you to peruse and for others to chime in...as well as having bumped another....welcome to DF
  10. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

It really depends on the type of hair. Mine is fine straight, so I brush it back with brushable hairspray (I use B&B) for matte look, and add lots of gel to the hair already in a ponytail for shine. I am a standard lady though, and prefer not as much shine as latin requires. I know some people use Crew pomade, but it does not work for me as well as hairspray. Trick is to brush it like a thousand times.
  11. DancinDrea19

DancinDrea19 New Member

This is a good topic--I never know what to do with my hair for comps..now i have shorter barely shoulder grazing hair & I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it! When I had really long hair I usually teased the back to get some volume & put it in a pony with these diamond hair accessories! It's simple but still looked better than i would have thought.
  12. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Also, for man's hair specifically, there is an interesting article on the Russian dancesport website of 1.19.2010 with step by step instructions on how to do man's hair. It involves styling with mousse and hairdryer. It is in Russian, though. I don't have the time to translate at the moment, but if anyone is interested I could sum up over the weekend.
  13. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

I have shorter hair too, with bangs and layers. I usually pull it back into a very sleek ponytail with lots of hairspray, then put the little short ends into a messy bun. I then cover the ends with a hairpiece that's on an elastic, and form the fake hair into a bun with a hairnet. No one can tell my hair is short!

Sometimes I'll add something sparkly or a flower on the side of the bun.
  14. mad123

mad123 Member

I have a strong love for Aussie's Hi Hold + Hi Shine hairspray. It is inexpensive and does exactly what it advertises. My hair is locked into place and it adds a good amount of shine. I have straight, dark hair and don't mind the hard, helmet look since I compete in Latin, so I'm not sure how much shine it it would bring to other colors or textures of hair, but I recommend giving it a try. It's one of the best price to performance options I've found.
  15. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF hhannah!

One tip....I noticed that the pro hairstylists do not run the comb teeth through the hair after they comb/style it into whatever sleekness (and put product on it). Instead, they run the flat of the teeth of the comb over the the hair to smooth it. Or they may also forego that at just use their hands.
  16. I have found that fine toothed combs and boar bristle brushes still leave little track marks in my hair when I have a lot of gel or styling product in it-- I'll have to try this to see if I can get that smooth helmet look. I think that if I just use my hands that I'll still get little bumpies.
  17. mad123

mad123 Member

You may also want to try styling when your hair is wet, at least to get into the primary pony tail. If you slick it back with whatever product you like, use a tightly bristled brush first then your hands to finish the smoothing process, you may get something closer. Or, depending on what type of hair you have, try flat ironing first, thought this is time consuming.