Latin vs. Standard Men's Pants

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Smooth Dancer, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think it's more about each style needs a slightly different kind of pants and look.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I expect a greater flair to a latin pant...that being said, I doubt it matters with a bronze level male..

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree totally

it would matter to me at any level ..they simply feel different to move in

id be like dancing smooth in a latin gown for a girl imma guessin

4. fascination

I think that, if you can move in it, it is probably going to be okay in bronze...I am pretty sure my pro has worn street trousers, sufficiently lose ones but street trousers all the same with all levels except maybe open with his daughter....

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

we all aren't that good... some of us need the feel of the right clothing to help generate the mood.. gotta have my stirrups higher waist and flair for latin just gotta gotta

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

YMMV, but I think a lot depends on exactly what the options are for our hypothetical bronze dancer. I personally would consider making due with a single pair of dance pants a better option than wearing department store pants. It obviously wouldn't be an ideal situation, but competing in Dockers surely wouldn't be one either. And if that hypothetical dancer can only afford to build a wardrobe for dancing over time, well, it'd be what it'd be.

7. fascination

well dockers are definitely too heavy...I just think a lot depends on what this person's goals are

8. Luik

Luik New Member

guys, I have to disagree. In my lower categories I danced with a single pair both styles and nothing happened.

The trick for me was to get a straight-leg pant with small pleats and no decorations (no sattin ribbons or stuff whatsoever). Length is no such a big issue, as there is just a 2.5 cm difference usually between a ballroom heel and a latin one. He can have its length adjusted to dance ballroom and it will only be slightly higher in latin.

That said, and if budget allows it, it's better to have different pants so he can use a wider length, some decorations (if dressing code for his category allows it, we have strict regulations over here) and elastic strip underneath in the latin pants.

JudeMorrigan and fascination like this.
  9. Janson

Janson Active Member

Whilst it's of course preferable to have two different pairs, I'm not sure it's really necessary until the higher levels. I think mine are meant to be Latin (they have stirrups), but as far as I can see they work pretty well for both. I previously danced just in store-bought trousers for both, but the proper dance trousers are much better - even for Ballroom I would venture.

danceronice likes this.
  10. Smooth Dancer

Smooth Dancer Active Member

I am currently wearing a nice looking & nice fitting pair that came with my non-dance tuxedo. (Don't worry, I don't wear the coat. :)) They feel fine (eg roomy around the knees) but they tend to bunch around the ankles in certain positions and the look bugs me. I'm thinking that the much wider flair, like you get in a Latin pant, would alleviate this? Am I thinking along the right lines? (No pin intended!)

11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

I think all but the open guys on our team wear just latin pants for everything

12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think if you have to use one pair for both, Latin would be the more versatile cut. At bronze, as long as you can move in it and it looks reasonably flattering, well and good.

And I have/have tried Latin dresses so long and full and Smooth gowns so fitted they could cross over pretty well...

13. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Ditto.

14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree. It helps if you get a long vest (a good idea anyway, imo), hiding the waistband in standard.

15. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Not that I expect collegiate costuming trends to be identical to the general amateur ranks, but I know a few guys who dance open smooth/standard in latin pants. As for me, my go-to pair of comp pants is/was a pair of mate-less tuxedo trousers that I happened across in my closet (why a 20 year-old needs to own two tuxes is its own story). They were actually hemmed a little too obliquely, and did not even need to be adjusted for the extra height of latin shoes. I may be out of luck if I start competing again though, given that I have lost like 15 lbs (and counting) since last I competed.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's easier to take something in than it is to let it out!

17. docco

docco Member

Thinking that ballroom dancing is not of one person, it of two. Then the man style should be matched with your partner, in every terms of style

18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

19. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I disagree with this as a universal sentiment. The man's style should compliment the lady's, which can mean matching, but need not mean that exclusively. In Standard, the accepted male attire is rigid and independent of the lady's costume. In Smooth, even if there is some coordination between the partners (say a matched tie or shirt), it is rare that the stylistic cues in the lady's dress are echoed in the man's suit. Latin and Rhythm allow for more flexibility in costuming, meaning that the man is more able to match his partner's style, but even then, wearing a shirt whose color matches your partner's dress is about as far as I'd go. Black and white go with everything, and there is a reason that they are still a fairly common palate for men's costuming in ballroom.

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you mean "complement."

Sania and Leon Theou like this.