Leading - is it just me?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by squirrel, Jun 8, 2005.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

I thought I would try something different.

Seriously, throwing in the extra (free) arm movement was too much for my brain to juggle.
  2. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Well I prefer the smoth leaders! In fact it is too hard for me to follow the more forceful ones! sometimes I feel like the guy is trying to turn a track and not a lady :roll:
    However I had to get used to more forceful leaders because in my salsa class most of the leaders are forceful and very stiff!
    I usually try to make those leaders relax by relaxing my arms and upper body but it does not work all the time:?
    I once asked a guy why he was so tense and he told me that I was making him nervous because I was more advanced :shock: :?
    I really cannot understand why this would happen; when I dance with more advanced partners I tend to relax because I do not have to worry all the time if he/she will step on my toes :roll:

Sobrero
  3. David

David New Member

As a follower dancing with a more experienced/advanced leader you can relax because you "know" that he's going to be able to take care of the timing/lead/stepping/choreo/anything else. Although many girls still do get very tense... this is a time to watch out for finger squishers.

As a leader dancing with a more experienced/advanced follower you often feel more tense and nervous because you "know" that your timing/lead/stepping/choreo/everything else is not up to her level.

Both cases are usually more prevalent in less experienced dancers. Although there are still one or two girls I know with whom I'd be pretty tense on a social dance floor. While I know I shouldn't, given that they are world class dancers I don't really feel too upset with myself for feeling that way.
  4. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

You are right of course! :oops:
    I haven’t thought of it in that way! Thank you

Sobrero
  5. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Hah. Advanced leads make me very nervous because I think they're expecting a lot from me. On the other hand, beginners make me feel more relaxed because they don't have high expectations.

Twilight Elena
  6. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

In our dance club there is this weird guy that leads in a truly confusing way :?
    When he dances he has the habit to move his shoulders back and forth left and right in really strange patterns. There is no cooperation between what his left shoulder does and what his right shoulder does! He is moving like that in all the dances not just salsa!

From one point onwards it gets so confusing because I cannot understand when he tries to go from the first step to the third :? How can you understand his signals when he moves his shoulders in such a way??

I should probably try to describe more thoroughly what he is doing exactly but I hope that you are all getting the general idea!! Maybe Elena will be able to describe better what I am trying to say. My English are not as advanced as hers :roll: ( but don't tell her that :wink: :wink: )

Sobrero
  7. David

David New Member

Bad shoulder movement I can easily see resulting in very confusing leads, and make people look like they're trying to be a kids TV steam train. Is it just me or does anybody else cringe every time they see the flailing arm choo-choo train lead? Generally most obvious with those who do it when they're doing the basic step.

Good shoulder movement looks really good and shouldn't have any impact on the lead. Should be subtle and isolated.
  8. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: As a lead it drives me nuts when the follow does it. I have enough problems leading salsa without my arms going around in a circle. :lol:
  9. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My poor guy! I can certainly understand that!!!
    :D :D
    hugs
    Sobrero
  10. Medira

Medira New Member

There's one lead that I dance with who does that all the time and it drives me up the wall. I find it distracting and hard to follow what he's leading...
  11. pr

pr New Member

I also dislike having my arms going around in a circle :x and luckily it was a long while ago since last time. :) Followers who do that also have problems with understanding the leaders signals and that is not too suprising...
  12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: Choo-choo train... I'll make sure I pass this on to my teacher. :lol: :lol:
    The guy Sobrero is referring to is, IMO, trying to do something like shimmies. However, it looks like he's dislocating his shoulders or having severe muscle spasms. It's ridiculous to look at and at the same time mixes up his already mediocre lead. Why does he do that? I think it's his way of "letting the dance spirit free". A very bad way of doing so, but still a way. :shrug: I just ignore it.
    Flailing arms are ridiculous. They are also painful: when guys try to turn me like I'm a truck (huge circling motion) I feel like my arms are going to pop out of their sockets.

Twilight Elena
  13. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Yeah we all know how that feels!! But there also beginners that are good leaders or at least they try to be gentle :D :D
    I think that those are the best guys because they know that they are not that good but they still try to be gentle!!! :D :D :wink:

Well done guys keep up the good work :p

Sobrero
  14. DeeplyDippy

DeeplyDippy New Member

I shimmie frequently - after years of practice, I can do it without wiggling my butt ! And I find the ladies appreciate it.

I've started dropping back on an open-break and rolling my shoulders - the worst comment is that I "look a bit camp" (gay or effeminate for the non-Brits) :D

This shoulder stuff takes a long, long time to master :lol:
  15. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Well one of our instructors likes to do some weird shoulder movements during Different dances! :D I really like it because it feels good and it does not have any affect on his leading. I can easily understand what he is trying to do even though his shoulders move like crazy :lol: :lol: 8)
    But you are probably correct it must need a lot of practice :wink:

Sobrero
  16. HF

HF New Member

Guys, this is an exercise I learnt by a cuban instructor: Stand in front of a wall, about one foot distance. Raise your hands to chest level and lean against the wall. Now exercise shoulder rolling and shimmies and whatever without moving the hands or the underarms, so it will not affect the leading.

Mojo, spice, sabor, flavour! If done well ...
  17. Sobrero

Sobrero New Member

Interesting Exercise I am sure that the guys will appreciate it HF!!! :D
    I know that the girls will :lol: :lol:

Sobrero
  18. megaproto

megaproto New Member

well the only problem with me leading is that i want to touch my partner hips, but i wonder if it will be quite offensive to dance with stranger and your hands all over her, girls please tell me, i really want to touch your hips!! :oops: so what should i do? how do i know if i can touch their hips when i dance?

well if i ask them "can i touch your hips?" that would be quite.... err..... :?

so what do you guys do? :( (want hip)

oh do you guys know any move that involve touching the hips? please share! :) I want to learn!!
  19. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

urrmmm sorry megaproto but hip touching is not really common when dancing salsa I think! There is no way anyone other than my bf touching my hips when dancing..... :roll:
  20. tacad

tacad New Member

Easy megaproto. A little restraint. :lol:

Ok, one woman I dated did teach me to lead a cross body lead and a cross body lead with a tuck turn by me directing her hips. (OK, she taught me badly. She learned the move from Arthur Murray Studios and then I went to the studios and they taught me properly.) I could swear I did this move with someone else recently. We were probably already flirting with each other and it just seemed the thing to do. Somehow I had discerned that she would be ok with it. Those are the two times I've done it.

Bottom line, it seems that many/most women are comfortable with somebody touching them in an intimate way, but not all will want to with you. But some will feel comfortable with you to do it. One woman I dance with is very sensuous with me on the dance floor. But she is not that way with other guys (that I've seen! :lol:).