Leading - is it just me?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by squirrel, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Oh!! I guess it depend on the person. I like to lead CBL's and inside turns with hands on hips. Better for the less experience followers as the lead is dead clear. For the advanecd followers one can play with the music, letting the follower into it almost when it is too late, resulting in a extra crispness to the moves.

However, you better know what you are doing. Followers can usually get an idea of what your intention is. If you want to use the hips to add flavor to the dancing it usually is ok. If you come across as sleazy and wanting to touch the lady all over you are in hot water.

So MP? You sound pretty desperate to touch the ladies hips. Not a good start, guy. Not a good start.
  2. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

When I'm dancing with a guy and his hands spend a lot of time on my hips, I am never sure whether it's just really bad technique or general sleaziness. Either way I'm not keen on it.

However, there are many moves that are work well with a brief touch to the waist or the top of the hip. As long as the hand is not lingering over much, or straying towards my crotch or backside, it's not a problem at all.

Salsa is a close-together dance. There's going to be some touching.
  3. tacad

tacad New Member

Very true.

He does sound desperate. :lol: megaproto, on the floor, try to not come across quite the way you did in your post or you may get hopelessly_addicted's response. Be cool about it. 8)
  4. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

the idea of offering constructive advice makes me feel like i need to wipe off my keyboard & monitor afterwards, but i will say that it takes a certain approach to touching a woman in the places other than the ones involved traditional open/closed position holds to maintain her comfort level.
  5. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: :doh:

Agreed.

I should emphasize that I've only led a woman by her hips twice. And one of those times, she was the instigator. I suppose I was thinking more of dancing sensuously and sexy with someone.
  6. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

(while taking a break form cleaning - the cranberry juice overflowed in the refigerator)

explain this to me tonight when you come over. & i've got DWTS on tape.
  7. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

CBLs and inside turns with hands on hips are fine. But that's side of the hips isn't it? Not right in the middle of the hips where sleaze bags tend to pinch :p

You got that right! And that's exactly why i reacted to MP's post as I did caues from what he wrote, the intention didn't come across as "pure" :? :p
  8. megaproto

megaproto New Member

Ohhh HueahueHAerhauhEUAEHue ohkay its just that i saw this move on the music video clips and the guy touch the girls on the side of the body and hips and it looks really hot that why i want to do it that is all.... nothing sleazy! :lol: HONEST! :)
  9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Dude you are missing out. I only have been rejected by one lady with the hip thing...well two... But when I learnt the the second one was a naive 17!!?!! Her I forgave. She is one of my fave dancers anyway. Like her style especially with her long old fashioned dresses looking almost like a Amish girl...