lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

You mean I have to buy a TV to learn to spot? I think the equivalent in lessons will probably be cheaper.... :)
  2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah Now thats more in my price range. Shoulda done it tonight - we had strong winds in Toronto and a major power cut - off for over 2 hours AND I had lots of candles. Next time...
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

relaxation and keeping my eyes focused on pro...sounds like lamaze...swear I spent one half hour taking one backward rumba walk
  4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

welcome to the world of "look at me". If I had a dime....
  5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

two lessons, all rumba... improved considerably in the hip coordination & pushing off the back foot & connecting the back leg to the torso as it moves forward... but feel like i've scratched an iceberg with a razor blade. finished bronze comp routine. feels like i've got an elephant to eat...
  6. samina

samina Well-Known Member

really looking forward to getting my new latin practice shoes. am noticing that the shoes i have right now (freed) don't hug my feet. can really tell they don't give my feet the right support. way too loose in the heels... my heels feel "squidgy" when i'm trying to move with control. i bet things'll feel so much better when i get the new ones...
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Smooth lesson last night (yays), with work on loosening up more and just letting things happen rather than tensing up all the time. Also--next week, Standard.

Tonight, group Swing and Rhumba. Had a chance to lead again, which was fun (and prompted a kind of strange comment from the pro teaching, who is the one refered to elsewhere as my Old Pro: when I said "I'm getting used to being the lead!" he said "You're a dancer, you should get used to it." I don't know if he meant ice or floor, but either way, for him dancing is Serious Business and he's never said anything quite that...inclusive...before. As in, you're a dancer, not a hobbyist dinking around with it. I guess showing up for two to four classes a week for months must have made some kind of impression.) Leading was entertaining again, though the Miami Special is harder than whatever it was we were working on last week (back spot turns?) and I'm glad that once he started "jazzing up" the choreography with...pas de bouree, we'll call it, though I know the step has another name I got to go back to being a girl. Rhumba routine--we got almost all the way through. Now I just need to figure out why my right quad is cramping something awful, all day long.
  8. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Well last nigth was Rhythm and nothing but Rumba. Competition routine trying to get the timming nail boy it was hard specially with several timing changes my head was sping at the end of the lesson. :confused: :shock:
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

last night (9pm lesson - have to go home and sleep first!) worked (in foxtrot) on head motions as a reaction to body sway - head sort of follows opposite hip which follows DP. Also more on bounce fallaway - trying to get it, it seems, as little bouncy as possible! A fun step but not a 'wow, I'm gonna pass out in euphoria' one.
  10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

More bolero. Trying to keep my weight where it's supposed to be (which is hard, it's a lot of weight!) Thankfully one of the things we worked on today just finally clicked in the kitchen a minute ago. If only the rest of it would click. And trying to look like I actually sort of like my partner, which isn't easy considering we're married, and sometimes I wonder if I do.:) And then the fact that I just have to get over feeling like I look stupid because the feeling like I look stupid makes me look more stupid than I actually look.
  11. redHOT

redHOT New Member

I have to learn how to do a double turn. I finished beg I & beg II. Now the intermediate class, which has no beginning, since the people who take the class have been in it since forever. Right away I have to do all these moves w/o instruction. Makes it seem difficult. So, I need to figure out how to practice a double turn; I cant even complete a turn on my own (w/o lead) when practicing myself. Will be heading back to take this class a few additional times per week.
  12. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

No lesson tonight, coaches out sick :( Rescheduled for tomorrow. We've been working on IS tango and quickstep.

Yesterday was our one "off" day from the studio, so now we've had two straight days with NO dancing. Argh!
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Group lessons again, and again, *sigh* of happiness. Work wasn't as bad today so I didn't need the pick-me-up so desperately, but while I'm still no Latin dancer there were moments there where Samba was starting to feel like Samba.

Off tomorrow night, then winter semi-formal Friday. Whoo!
  14. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Last night lesson was the Rumba again, try to do spiral turns and boy I had such a hard time I could not keep my balance at all.

Coach - Stay on the ball of your feet
    Me - I will transfer from the ball of my feet to my heels.
    Coach - Is not an "impetus" Mr. no more smooth for you. Stick your butt out a little
    Me - I look like I need to go to the bathroom if i do that.
    Coach and DW - Can't stop laughing.

Ladies my hat of to you specially when you make that look so easy. :notworth:
  15. fascination

rumba, cha cha, tiny bit of samba, waltz and foxtrot...coaching///can't even beging to elucidate it but it was fabulous...and retainable
  16. fascination

but my feet are throbbing...and I have very tough feet
  17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

cha-cha group, samba group, samba semi-pri w/ DP...

mostly just focused on strong legs, being over my body, and being sharply & strongly up on my toes to get that bounce in samba. pro cleverly put together a nice little samba routine for DP and me... then told us he expects us to dance in his first showcase in march, lol...
  18. I'm Still Dancing

I'm Still Dancing New Member

I am currently working on figuring out whether I can start taking lessons again.,
  19. I find it helps to make sure that I continue rotating my supporting foot until it's only slightly turned out from the direction that I want to end at (natural tendency for me is to underrotate and be spectacularly turned out but off balance).
  20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:cool::)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.