lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh

Josh Active Member

Lol at the first part, :confused: at the second on sticking your butt out. (arched back--nuff said)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

position and emotion

3. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

hmm. . . long time no post. . . I had the most amazing lesson today! I worked on waltz and foxtrot, focusing on swing technique and where to move from the bottom to create shape on top. We also did some nice new and difficult choreography in foxtrot.

It was also incredibly inspiring to have Peter Eggleton coaching Arunas Bizokas and Katusha Demidova on the same floor. They look fantastic and are the nicest people!

4. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

So, I had my second lesson with my new teacher this week. We danced waltz first ('nice movement', whatever that's meant to mean...), then moved on to Cha Cha (Int. of course, being in Australia and all). Worked on technique for well over the half hour I was meant to have (can't afford more atm). I couldn't believe the change in my posture and feet after just one lesson. It amazed me (and still does) to no end. I think I like this teacher! (Oh, and the fact that he's a darn sight better than my female teacher to look at doesn't affect it one bit!)

5. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Last week was rather hectic. Got an Open Amerian VW routine (yeah finally have all my open smooth routines for pro-am!), got a Gold Paso routine (yay restarting latin after what feels like years away), and put the finishing touches on a rather simple showcase for tomorrow (smashed together open foxtror/rumba routines to two versions of "Business of Love" with a nice cross fade. Showcase tomorrow (this is my "no time to do a real showcase, but want to still do something" one....)

Looking forward to this week since it should be more of a consolidation week. Feel like the past month have been in last-minute prep and goal planning mode.... Between a competition the first week of Nov and the showcase tomorrow, its been a rather "superficial appearance" month... be nice to get back to fundamental/true improvements

6. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

More work on continuity in foxtrot. The focus of the lessons is now totally on DH -- I feel like I'm there just to let him know what's working and what's not. He's having a heck of a time figuring out how to transition from one step to the next. Sometimes he just blanks out completely and stops suddenly because he has no idea what to do next! He also had the challenge of trying to navigate around a group lesson, two other privates and a couple of teachers working together, so he had to consider not only what he could possibly do next, but what would not make us crash into another couple. I've finally learned to trust him to not lead me into disaster most of the time, but I was having a hard time letting him decide which way to go around beginner couples who are totally unpredictable. Then he and our teacher would start discussing his options in each situation and I couldn't follow their train of thought so my mind would wander ... I'm waiting until we can get past figuring how to do it and start to work on doing it properly.

7. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Wow, talk about being at the epicenter. How cool!

8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Our coaches are absent for three weeks (one of those weeks has already gone by). I have to partner to practice with, and my only hope is booking my teacher back home in two weeks FOR two weeks. Does that make sense?

9. Cat123

Cat123 New Member

I not oficially adore the rumba! I have another lesson on thursday and I predict he'll be teaching me more technique, b ut if I do get to choose a dance, that will be it! Which I'm suprised about, 'cos I usually prefer ballroom!

10. fascination

happy dance, happy dance......a few morsels of open smooth...died and gone to heaven

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

wait a min fasc, thought you felt syllabus was the b-all etc?? :p

12. fascination

I dooooooooooo...but it is time for a dip in the open smooth ocean.....I totally sunk to the bottom today during multiple pivots and weave in shadow...but I'll get there..and here's the kicker (the lil' stinker)...."hey it's all stuff you've done before, just in a different way"..expecting me to do it full out on day one...hello?....I didn't even know it was coming...at least not exactly...happy dance, happy dance......

13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Be seduced by the smooth! :wink:

14. fascination

darlin' that day already came and stayed :)

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

"As promised, Standard." Tango. Besides the usual need to shut the brain off, that was different. And yet cool. I think I'm going to like Standard.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

After weeks of holidays, various family crises, and work travel, I actually have a lesson tomorrow! I hope I remember where the studio is... :rolleyes:

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

quickstep - time to upgrade the routine. Added rhumba cross into running right turn -natural - quick open reverse start sequence and planning to start at the begiiing of the short, rather than the usually packed long side. Fun to work on figures for a change - though they all seem to become technique within minutes now...

18. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Last night lesson was lets pick your dancing apart teacher just pick every dance and said you doing this wrong it has to be done this way. You are forgetting the triple here and you are using Lindy to fake. you are to fast on this step of the cha-cha slow it down, you are not bending your your right knee before you move so I guess it was a pick on RJC night but is all for the better.

Still having problems with those spot turns and spins. grrr.

Tonigth competition practice I hope I will remember all the stuff he showed me last night.

19. fascination

holding onto fundamentals and focus while wanting to panic

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Group lessons: remembering what I don't like about Bolero. (And yes, dear Old Pro, there is such a thing as a bad knee, the one that has about 1/3 the cartilage it should have, and it hates those relevees with a passion. I can do them, but when I finally relax, ow.) And Mambo...never realized how little I thought about the open boxes when my Rhythm Pro is leading them. I don't HAVE to think. Doing them alone, though? Very weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.