lessons: what are you working on?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by alemana, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjcbear

rjcbear New Member

Tonight session was a marathon we danced smooth allfour of them babck to back none stop for almost one hour getting sequences in the correct combination wow it was really hard and very tirying but lord I feel like a million dollars. The feeling inside is great. Tomorrow will be the marathon for rhythm.

I AM LOVING IT!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Standard, slows, everywhere.

3. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Smooth waltz - technique.

4. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Last night, Cha Cha, group class ( 2 students), working on ironing out some body/leg/lead actions, in two main places:
    1) while doing a more merengue style action leading swivels
    2) cross basics

Having a real bear of a time getting what teacher wanted on either of them.... Was having an unexplicable bad day to begin with, which probably didn't help. Tended to be able to get the body action she wanted, but almost always at the expense of a way too wild/forceful lead. And not the heck sure what happened to my leg action... used to be pretty happy with it and it used to just work even when I tried changing other things, but now any little change elsewhere was throwing it off and making it hard to work on anything.

On the cross basic (not exactly a cross basic, but extremely close) we were playing with drawing out the hip action when using guapacha (sp) timing... but it seemed like what teacher was asking for and what she was demonstrating were very different.... and of course me being contrary had to try the complete opposite which actually almost worked better.... She was saying we wanted to delay the hip rotation/settle across the 1-2, but as more demonstrating a normal rotation/settle on 1, hold 2, with a slight surge/extra rotation right before the & for the &3.

5. Nik

Nik Member

Standard: Centering my weight more over the foot and going foward before beginning rotation.

6. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

another 4.5 hour day at the studio... First a group class (studio just switched to an unlimited group class in the week you take a private, type approach, so I'm doing a lot more groups than before just for review/extra drill etc) for VW. One of the drills we worked on was doing a no-hold, but body contact, series of reverse turns.... very interesting hadn't tried that before, but by the end of a few tries we were getting it to work fairly well

The a first for the studio, a teacher supervised practice session -- not a practice party, but more a teacher running music in the back room, and answering questions/making comments... I could have used it better, but was too busy working on getting my new paso routine ready to really work with the more american focused teacher running the practice this week.

Then a short break and more individual/normal practice.

Next a latin private, we got the paso mainly working, but it'll still take several more portions of lessons to get it good. Coup de Piques are annoying both my teacher and I.... We like the step, but it always seems to surprise us and throw us off and we have two of them in the routine. I also showed by teacher by old rumba/cha-cha routines and we got both of them to work. Still plenty of topics to work on, but having three routines out of five almost ready after only two lessons together is promising.... I beginning to think we'll have time to do more than throw just routines together....

Ended the evening with another private working on my new open american VW routine. We took out the spot I hated and came up with something new... We definitely like the replacement, but not sure if its really going to work to tempo, we'll have to see....I'm still surprised at how latiny the routine is --- and how little the bothers me -- normally I'd be flipping out over it not being real "smooth", but somehow this one works... Its like 50% samba but with a more paso-inspired styling. As long as we get decent music it should really be nice.... but if they give us a more traditional ploinky international vw slowed down, it'll probably look odd....

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Group class: jive. I am having an issue with picking the knee up as high as he wants it on middle part of the chasse. I think it is because my foot is not on the ground long enough on that part to get enough foot pressure to let it spring up that high. International Cha Cha--not bad, but it turned into a shoe break-in session. My new Latin shoes are in, and I"m finding that exactly the same thing applies in switching to 3" heels as did switching from freestyle to dance blades in skating--everyone's all "Oooh, scary" and instead it's really not a big deal except I no longer feel flat-footed. Okay, and I'm running around "I feel tall!" There are some balance-point differences, but it's not major.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

focus...and self-esteem

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

the connection between the toes and the middle of the back in standard... new epiphany. another thing to work on everywhere, all the time...

10. Cat123

Cat123 New Member

Had a lesson tonight, we did Rumba. But more technical stuff and not much dancing. Plus I'm ill. My concentration wasn't exactly on top form, I got all confused!! I got quite frustrated and I think my teacher did too. Ooops...

11. shortnsassy

shortnsassy Member

I had an interesting lesson today. Coach wanted to work on connection in standard. He kept changing (just slightly) his position to me to see if I would adjust or get off track. The thing is, he didn't tell me before hand that he would be doing this. Halfway down the floor I stop and asked what was going on with him today because he felt all over the place. He said "Oh good, you do pay attention to me." It was nerve wracking, but I became more aware of what happens when the hips just slightly over rotate out of a turn, or a number of other things.

12. fascination

uh...mutual understanding????

13. Rugby

Rugby Member

Not killing each other.

14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

You're such a tease :p Can you elaborate a wee bit? I suspect I know what you mean, but it was described to me in a different way.

15. fascination

spot volta turns...and other latin torment....uh...day off tomorrow...other than practice

16. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Peabody.

Just as a joke! A quickstep came on during a lesson, and we don't work on that, so pro started leading a Peabody. Never done it before, but it seems like a really fast foxtrot. Kind of fun.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

rumba rumba rumba... more work on hip rotation and never stopping the flow of energy, even when i'm not transferring weight... got deeper into fan technique -- mmmm.... pretty.

i so want that latin control pro has... practice, practice...

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

duplicate post

19. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Quickstep! I did quickstep! And it was fun! Still sorting it out in my brain, but it was not nearly as scary as it seems. And I did not totally forget everything for Int. Tango between this week and last week! Also group in Jive and Cha Cha went reasonably well. Everything went quite well considering that Tuesday I had to skip group because of the 100.2 fever.

Two lessons in and I like standard. Okay, pro says that Slow Fox is probably going to give me fits but don't worry about it. And to relax because Viennese Waltz is Viennese Waltz either way. Can't wait for my next lesson and am mildly annoyed I might not get one in before I leave for my Christmas vacation next week.

20. jwlinson

jwlinson Member

Spent the past two days working on Slow Fox, with which I have a love-hate relationship :)

Quickstep and VW are two of my fav's :) I'm sure you'll love 'em!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.